It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
(male)

Trenchmob2 HB User
Hypochondria or possible vestibular disorder??!!

I'm a 39 male in Florida. I been feeling I'll since late Sept. With lightheadedness, shakes, difficulty focusing eyes, concentration problems, and short term memory problems at first when I noticed it mostly at work. I'm a cashier at a grocery store in the evenings. I have stage two hypertension which I am treated for also. I would get lightheaded to point of almost faint, flushing of my skin, and bouncy up and down feeling when I walk and I'm sitting. I have seen 2 GP in early Oct. And also a visit ER for a bad day of this at work which they diagnose as pneumonia but the Xray and Ct scan were unremarkable or negative. For about 4 weeks now I have developed tinnitus also in one ear and prescribed Meclizine 5mg for dizziness. I have been worried about what is happening to me during the whole course of feeling sick and googling to try to find what it could be wrong with me. I been put on Buspar 10mg a day for anxiety and it helps for awhile. My GP doesn't know what it could be and has no clue. I constantly worry about what is wrong with me and don't think of other things that do or normal activites. I sleep very difficult at night with 2-3 hours of and get jerked awake, trembling in the back of head and body, and tinnitus is worst when I wakeup but subsides after a few minutes. I google alot to try and find a reason or something to physical symptoms.

I'm going to counseling Monday to talk to someone. I may need a referral for ENT later this month to rule out anything. I've had blood tests, thyroid, syphillis, urine tests,xrays, CT scan of head. Only things was my WHite blood count was 16,000 In ER but is now 12,000. I don't know I sick or just all anxiety. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Just don't want to go crazy with all this. My family and GF are at there wits end from all the reassuring a ask them and talk about health with them.

And help or comments is much appreciated.

Tom in Florida

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
(male)

jaybp31 HB User
Re: Hypochondria or possible vestibular disorder??!!

Gotta say your symptoms sound an awful lot like panic attacks/anxiety. Your best bet is to see the counselor and hopefully they can put you on the right track. Make sure the person you see speacializes in anxiety disorders though. If you see someone who doesn't they will just reassure you its not a vestibular issue and that will get you no where. You need tools to deal with the anxiety, not reassurance. Reassurance only lasts a short time, trust me, you will seek out someone else to tell you its going to be ok. I am in a similar boat as you and wish I would take my own advice but so far no luck. Be strong.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
(male)

Trenchmob2 HB User

Since November I have a new GP and seen an ENT for hear problems he didn't find anything in ears. And seen a psychologist for about six sessions. I was getting worse through early Dec. I went to ER twice in early Dec, and they said anxiety or panic attack. And I insisted on a through work up and stay for 4 days. A neurologist, a psychiatrist, and internal medience dr. who diganosed it as anxiety. I was sent to get a psyche eval for three days at another hospital and they thought I may be psychotic which turn out to be anxiety and depression. They put me on Ativan 1mg 3x daily, Celexa 30mg, 2 BP med for hypertension, and Trazadone 100 mg for the severe chronic insomina I had for 9 weeks prior. I got out and seen GP again in mid Dec. and again severe anxiety and depression. I went yesterday for a outpatient psyche eval. And diganosed with a adjustment disorder mixed with anxiety and moderate depression. The antidepressant is helping alot and Ativan keeps me calm most the day. I getting better and my sleep has improved greatly the last few weeks. Still have anxiety ins but not as bad. I see a new psychiatrist next week. I'm eating better than trying to keep busy to keep mind off myself. It's hard but it's just diverting your mind and not dwell on the problems that make you feel bad. Or having anxiety about anxiety and weird sensations or symptoms it produces. Like a vicious cycle that's hard to get out of. Ill be fine and will take time but in the end it'll all go away. And to resume my normal life again. Im going to conseling now so that will help. Thanks for reading this. Questions or comments just ask or reply. Bye

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

slkane HB User

You describe all the symptoms that I have that convince me of a brain tumor or something else menacing. The dizziness, vertigo, feeling faint, memory loss, right down to the bouncing feeling which is very hard to describe. You hit the nail on the head with all those mysterious sensations I get on a daily basis. I read a book called Phobia Free. Please do look it up. It is based on the premise that our fight or flight mechanism is located within the inner ear and a doctor claims that if there is a disfunction within the inner ear area that it can cause the fight or flight to misfire and it can produce that sudden panic rush over and over again. Problem is.. not too many docs want to subscribe to that theory so its hard to plead a case based on that author's research (even though he is a doctor himself) .... I wanted to contact you to let you know that you aren't alone. I have had so many tests come back negative and yet here I am with daily loss of balance, vertigo bouts, and feeling like I am just going to pass out. My memory is very poor and I often forget the right word I am looking for when I am talking to someone. I could go on and on about the symptoms i have, just wanted to find out if you received any official diagnosis since you last posted. If so, let me know

Reply Reply