It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

MsAnonymous HB User
Unhappy Afraid of STDs

While most of my family and friends think I'm completely nuts, I decided a board might be the best place to take my fears.

I am deathly afraid of STDs. My ex and I were in a monogamous relationship, for 5 years, where we did not use condoms. He was my first, and was tested for a wide range of STDs so I know that, logically, the risk of catching something from him was minimal. I made sure he was tested before having sex as I'm paranoid about everything. I have only been with two other men after him, and both of which were safe sex. While I know condoms don't prevent EVERYTHING, it's far safer to use them than not.

So here's where my nuttiness comes to play. I once convinced myself a tiny bump on my thigh was a genital wart. My OBGYN completely dismissed the idea and my latest pap, about a month ago, came back normal and HPV negative. I recently had a yeast infection, and became terrified I had chlyamadia or gonnorhea. Again, the tests came back negative. I had an ingrown hair, convinced myself it was herpes, and again, came back negative. I also once became utterly convinced I had HIV, the test was negative.

While this is probably a ton of information, I wish everything did not set me in a frenzy. All it will take to get my brain going crazy, is for me to learn of another STD lurking out there for me to be convinced I have it. While I firmly believe in being tested and assuring sexual health, I worry myself sick over everything.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this? I'm practically ready to commit myself to a nunnery to never worry about and STD/STI again. Or at least, nixing sex in the bud until I'm married.

I'm pretty sure my hypochondria is a result of my IBS. Before having gastro issues, I was never afraid of disease the way I am now.

Last edited by MsAnonymous; 02-25-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: grammar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, fear of sick, hypochondria, ocd(germs)