It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
(male)

jimmy2012 HB User
dear hypochondriacs please help...

hi im so thankful i discovered this website today as ive been feeling quite terrible for the last week.

Im not a diagnosed hypochondriac but i know im one and i haven't seen a doctor (bit embarrassed). Anyway, im 22 and i would consider myself a mild hypochondriac, but once in a while i get these full blown severe hypochondriac episodes that lead me into a depression that last months (6-12 months).

i have no reason to believe i have a particular ailment and against all reason and logic, i just feel like i have it. My first episode happened as a kid (approx 5), it was the time i learnt i had a heart beat and i started feeling palpitations or sometimes no pulse. I was taken to the doctor and nothing was wrong. I again had a heart hypochondriac episode at 13 after being stupid enough to read my mom's book on heart problems (she is a nurse). At 16 i had an std one after learning about stds is class (from herpes to hiv), although i have never had sex or done anything that would be considered high risk for contracting hiv or any sti. last week i checked my region and freaked out after finding lumps on my 'region'. i then read up on it and it matched and looked like fordyces spots. But since the initial scare i had (literally shaking and running out of breath), ive had the fear of another hypochondriac episode setting on. Its like a mixture of all the fears ive had in the last episodes and a fear of the onsuing depression. i can't tell anyone cause no one in my family understands since my scare as a 5 yr old, they are really flippant about it.

i don't want to go to the doctor cause they will make me do all the tests and that will just be enabling the fear and im really scared i might be right (id rather not know). What can i do to fight this depression, everything seems so gloomy and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I have these occassional bursts of positivism that subsidy within minutes. I have no symptoms or risk factors, just an irrational fear that i can't control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
(male)

Acadian HB User
Re: dear hypochondriacs please help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2012 View Post
hi im so thankful i discovered this website today as ive been feeling quite terrible for the last week.

Im not a diagnosed hypochondriac but i know im one and i haven't seen a doctor (bit embarrassed). Anyway, im 22 and i would consider myself a mild hypochondriac, but once in a while i get these full blown severe hypochondriac episodes that lead me into a depression that last months (6-12 months).

i have no reason to believe i have a particular ailment and against all reason and logic, i just feel like i have it. My first episode happened as a kid (approx 5), it was the time i learnt i had a heart beat and i started feeling palpitations or sometimes no pulse. I was taken to the doctor and nothing was wrong. I again had a heart hypochondriac episode at 13 after being stupid enough to read my mom's book on heart problems (she is a nurse). At 16 i had an std one after learning about stds is class (from herpes to hiv), although i have never had sex or done anything that would be considered high risk for contracting hiv or any sti. last week i checked my region and freaked out after finding lumps on my 'region'. i then read up on it and it matched and looked like fordyces spots. But since the initial scare i had (literally shaking and running out of breath), ive had the fear of another hypochondriac episode setting on. Its like a mixture of all the fears ive had in the last episodes and a fear of the onsuing depression. i can't tell anyone cause no one in my family understands since my scare as a 5 yr old, they are really flippant about it.

i don't want to go to the doctor cause they will make me do all the tests and that will just be enabling the fear and im really scared i might be right (id rather not know). What can i do to fight this depression, everything seems so gloomy and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I have these occassional bursts of positivism that subsidy within minutes. I have no symptoms or risk factors, just an irrational fear that i can't control.

OK so first, you're gonna be ok. Fordyce's spots are very common in fact, I even have them.

I have been a hypochondriac for 35 +- years.

It helps I guess to figure out where this illness first presented itself. The few key things I hear are that it started when you were very young, and that your mother is a nurse. Did she often come home and discuss illnesses?

For me it was some very traumatic events in my early childhood and an aunt that would project her hypochondria on to me, by talking about all the illnesses that she thought she had.

Have you ever talked to a therapist? Some people find anti anxiety medications to help immensely with hypochondria symptoms.

Another method I find works very well is to keep repeating to yourself that you will be ok. Much of this disease is psychosomatic.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
(male)

jimmy2012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
OK so first, you're gonna be ok. Fordyce's spots are very common in fact, I even have them.

I have been a hypochondriac for 35 +- years.

It helps I guess to figure out where this illness first presented itself. The few key things I hear are that it started when you were very young, and that your mother is a nurse. Did she often come home and discuss illnesses?

For me it was some very traumatic events in my early childhood and an aunt that would project her hypochondria on to me, by talking about all the illnesses that she thought she had.

Have you ever talked to a therapist? Some people find anti anxiety medications to help immensely with hypochondria symptoms.

Another method I find works very well is to keep repeating to yourself that you will be ok. Much of this disease is psychosomatic.
Thanks Acadian, really made me feel better. I haven't seen a therapist or used any medication. Ive been relying on will power all along but i feel that its really taking a toll on me. Maybe its about time i talked to someone, i just fear a therapist will just think im crazy cause logically and reasonably, i shouldn't be afraid. I feel so alone sometimes, maybe i need to talk to someone.

Thanks again

Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

hopefulonpaxil HB User

Quote:

You do need to see a doctor --- so that they can help you deal with these irrational fears .. I lived with the exact same thing for more than 20 years and getting help and medication is the best thing I've EVER done. Just make sure you see a doctor that you trust .... I wish you well

Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
(male)

Acadian HB User

Quote:
Thanks Acadian, really made me feel better. I haven't seen a therapist or used any medication. Ive been relying on will power all along but i feel that its really taking a toll on me. Maybe its about time i talked to someone, i just fear a therapist will just think im crazy cause logically and reasonably, i shouldn't be afraid. I feel so alone sometimes, maybe i need to talk to someone.

Thanks again
Trust me when I say , they see people with way worse problems then us, but they there to help everyone. It doesn't hurt to talk to them, and like hopefulonpaxil said, make sure it's someone you are comfortable with.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User
Wink Re: dear hypochondriacs please help...

Mine started in childhood, too. I remember being 12 and (what I now know was a panic attack) having my Mom take me to the doctor cuz I thought I was having a heart attack. I remember being in the waiting room and overhearing the doc tell my mom that he thought I had severe anxiety and to make my environment calm. This was impossible because of an uptight, strict, abusive, unpredictable home. I also remember running to my mom several times growing up telling her I was choking and I needed help. That manifested to where I would chew my food with my front teeth only so I didn't choke. Fast forward 20 years and here I am having had in depth heart tests among others and STILL thinking I have an undiagnosed disease. I think when u go to the doc to admit your other concerns. Actually they can tell when someone is anxious or has another problem other than wht they are complaining of. When I was in therapy part of my exposure was to read my cardio report and the doctor reported that was "easily tearful and seemed anxious." It will help you more in the end to admit all your concerns.

Reply Reply