It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

missanxious HB User
Unhappy Help me!!!

I have Hypochondria or severe anxiety that rears its ugly head as health anxiety. I am 28 years old and have recently had a full blood tests, checking liver, pancreas, kidneys, hemoglobin, white counts, etc... And all came back normal. I mowed the lawn the other day and began itching on my arms so after I finished I went inside and took a shower. Well the generalized itching hasn't stopped. I'll feel it on my arm, then my leg, then my ear, then my back, repeat. I googled it and saw all the dire things that itching could mean internally. I have gotten so anxious I can't eat, I just want to sleep where I feel no anxiousness or itching, I have no energy to do anything. I went to the ER with my fears and they did more blood tests and all came back fine. Made a follow up appointment with my normal doctor today and she feels that my anxiety is probably causing my itch. She prescribed be buspar and atarax to go along with my Effexor and Trazadone. I don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I am going to go crazy. I feel bad that my energy level is to none when my 8 year old wants to play or have fun outside and all I want to do is sleep. I have a stepdaughter that is fighting stage four neuroblastoma cancer and I feel this caused my health anxiety... I have always had GAD just never this severe. Has anyone ever had itching as their anxiety symptom?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

panicremission HB Userpanicremission HB User
Re: Help me!!!

Yep I have had itching as an anxiety symptom before. I would say that if the doctors have run tests and haven't found anything it is most likely anxiety. It amazes me what the mind is capable of coming up with. I have found that the best thing to do in this case is be accepting of the itching. Instead of worrying about it or trying to ignore it (which never really works, right?) just accept yes, I itch. Yes, it is uncomfortable but it is not hurting me. I can breathe and I can move. If you approach the symptom with no fear it is much more likely to stop bothering you. Hang in there!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

missanxious HB User
Unhappy Re: Help me!!!

Thank you so much for your post. Its helpful for my mind to know I am not alone and others have experienced this symptom too. Its really hard when I watch my 6 yr old step daughter battle cancer. I feel this is where my health anxiety comes from because before it wasn't this severe and was more generalized anxiety. I have also stopped Googling so far and have tried to tell myself I am healthy. Easier said than done some days. But I have also tried to redirect my anxiety from what if something is wrong to what CAN I DO to prevent anything from happening. Increase vitamins, drink green tea, etc... I pray one day I can over come it.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

panicremission HB Userpanicremission HB User
Re: Help me!!!

Yes I have no doubt that dealing with your daughter's medical issues contributes to the health anxiety. I hope that she gets better soon. I used to obsessively google all of my "health problems" and what I have found is that if I absolutely have to google something I do so with "problem" comma "anxiety". It reminds you of how many different physical symptoms can just come from anxiety. And this alone usually lessens a lot of the symptoms. I have no doubt that you can overcome this problem!!

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, fear, itching