It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

Vanilla2862 HB User
Really losing it this time

Oh fellow hypos, I need your help!!!!

I was going along pretty well without any major hypo episodes up until I found out that my latest pap was abnormal and now I need a biopsy. It led to a whole array of stressful issues regarding scheduling of the test and vacations and childcare, not to mention the fear that I might have cancer. Ironically enough, I never worried about my pap results being abnormal.

Anyway, since this whole thing came up, I've had an exacerbation of some side pains that I have been having on and off for a year now. Got them checked out last year with all kinds of gastro tests and was told nothing there so I had convinced myself it was muscular.

Here's my question, do you think that this anxiety over the biopsy could bring on or exacerbate muscle pains that are in my obliques? I mean, I know I've been having stiff neck and low back pain from stress but my side too??? It just doesn't seem plausible.

What do you all think???

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

panicremission HB Userpanicremission HB User
Re: Really losing it this time

I would say yes, it is possible that anxiety is exacerbating the muscle pains. When I am anxious it feels like any tiny sensation in my body is amplified. I remember that at one point I was worried about something being wrong with my head and neck because I would eat breakfast and then I would get this weird sensation in the back of my head and it freaked me out and I would start to panic. I eventually realized that I was so tuned-in to my bodily sensations while I was eating that I was actually feeling my neck muscles move while I was chewing. A sensation that no one ever notices but if I am anxious I can feel it. I think that if your mind is searching for sensations and pain it will be able to find them...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User

[QUOTE=Vanilla2862;5002978]do you think that this anxiety over the biopsy could bring on or exacerbate muscle pains that are in my obliques?

Hi there, as a massage therapist, I've come across a lot of cases where the mind-state of my clients can have a huge impact on pains that they feel. It's conceivable that you can have pain in a body area that is totally healthy--some folks even have pains in body parts that no longer even exist physically. Think about people who lose a leg or arm and how sometimes those folks can have phantom pains in the leg or arm that isn't even physically there anymore. So, it is perfectly conceivable that you are having pain. Whether or not that pain is rooted in the physical body or the mind is probably yet to be determined, since it could relate to the abnormal tests, or it might not be related at all.

I'm relatively new to the massage profession...I've only been in business for myself for a year and a half. I'd like to know from all you hypos if you think something like massage would be something you'd try....just purely from the standpoint that massage can be so therapeutic in helping your body and mind to learn to integrate and feel harmonious together? I believe stress hormones can play a role in the perceptions of pain, real or imagined--and massage can greatly relieve those stress hormones, too. I know that massage helps people with eating disorders and other disorders where distorted body image or a disconnect with the physical body and the mind is present. What do you think? I'm just curious, purely on a professional level, about what you all think about that idea?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

I think that massage would def help with stmptoms if not for any other reason than when you are stressed you tense up your muscles and that exacerbates any muscle pain

The Following User Says Thank You to Vanilla2862 For This Useful Post:
jenga890 (06-29-2012)
Closed Thread