It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Help... Pneumonia... I am panicking!!!

I have just been told I have pneumonia and now I am panicking. I can't breathe!!! How did I get this? Is it serious? What if it doesn't go away? I am so frightened? Please, someone speak to me. I have never had this before. Doc gave me antibiotics but I am so afraid!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Help....Pneumonia....I am panicking!!!

Pneumonia is a pretty common infection of the lungs, and is normally treated as an outpatient with antibiotics. It takes about 2 days for the antibiotics to start working, then you should see gradual improvement over the course of a couple of weeks. Your fever should be gone in 2-3 days, and mucus should gradually clear up. This should go away, but it often takes about a month before people regain their strength. It is contagious, so you caught it from someone else who was coughing. It normally is not too serious in a person your age, but be sure to take all the medicine, and get a follow up xray when the Dr. requests, to make sure it has cleared up completely. It can cause shortness of breath, so take it easy, no strenous activity, just quiet rest as needed, and that will get better as the infection subsides. Be sure to call Dr. if you get worse or are not improving at least a little in 3-4 days, before weekend. Once this clears completely, be sure to ask about a pneumonia vaccine and flu vaccine for this fall.

Last edited by ladybud; 09-10-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added info about vaccine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User

Thank you Ladybug. I am resting today and hopefully I will feel better soon. My health anxiety is spinning out of control and it gets difficult to have rational thinking so thank you for putting it into perspective.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

Pneumonia is usually not serious in young and otherwise healthy adults. Try to calm down and think that at this moment the antibiotics are fighting the infection and you will be healthy again soon.best of luck

Reply Reply