It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
(female)

Scottishgirl30 HB User
Health fears

Hi everyone. I'm a 30 year old non smoking/drinking female. Never smoked or been drunk in my life! I'd like to think that other than a long love affair with chocolate that I'm fairly healthy. But my whole life, I've suffered from anxiety. This started as a child when I got a stomach bug and vomited and since then I've had a terrible phobia of vomit which at points took over my life. I also had agoraphobia for a period when I was a teenager which I'm glad to say is mostly gone, other than I still have anxiety when I need to fly somewhere.
But now, for the last year, my anxiety has been focussed on cancer. It started with a tooth abcess I'd had for years which came and went, then last summer it started to get pretty painful so I had the tooth removed. A couple of days later I got a terrible cold with a cough that I didn't get rid of for weeks. Normally I wouldn't bother but I'd lost 3 close members of my family fairly suddenly in the space of a few months so I'm not sure if it affected me? Anyway, one day I was bored and looked up leukemia symptoms. With my cough and several other things, (bone pains, petechiae after hot shower), I was convinced I was dying of this disease. Last winter, I could barely function because I was so sure I had leukemia. It took over my life and I literally sat on google all day looking it up. I was too scared to go to my GP but after a while I realized that if I DID have leukemia, I'd probably know all about it and since I had no bruising, bleeding, fatigue etc I thought I was ok. But now, my fear has turned to a fear of lymphoma. I keep checking for lumps, I had 3 bad colds in the space of a month recently, my tonsils look bumpy and enlarged (no sore throat anymore) and I'm just terrified that it's lymphoma or tonsil cancer!! I can't stop getting my torch to look into my mouth and of course I wouldn't even know they were there if I weren't so obsessed. I'm scared to go to my GP incase she tells me the worst.
Sorry it's long, I just have so much to get off my chest!! Argh!!
Any words of advice would be most welcome. Thanks. x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
(male)

mva1966 HB User
Re: Health fears

I'm new here, but the best I can tell you is you are not alone. I know that is not much consolation when you are thinking you have every disease under the sun (like I often do), but you are not alone and I hope you will feel better as soon as possible.

Reply Reply