It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

lexilou713 HB User
severe health anxiety

For the past two years I have been dealing with severe anxiety disorder and severe hypochondria, it's literally ruining my life. all day, everyday i think about dying, or things that are in my body trying to kill me. i become fixated on a specific disease and it consumes my life. last year i was convinced i had a brain aneurysm and there was no convincing me otherwise. finally my doctor became so concerned with my anxiety that he sent me for an MRI just to prove to me that there was no aneurysm. when the results came back i felt better, i went back to living my life and being happy, i graduated from college, had an amazing summer, got a job and was very happy.. then this past January my right leg started to hurt and i became convinced that i had DVT, a blood clot in my right leg to be exact. the pain comes and goes, everyone else tells me that it's probably caused by the torn acl i currently have in my knee, but my thigh hurts, why would my knee cause my thigh to hurt.. im obsessed with measuring my legs to make sure one isn't more swollen than the other, this new fear is consuming my life just like the aneurysm from last year. normally i would go to the doctor so that i could feel better, but i don't have health insurance anymore.. im scared and i feel alone because no one understands what this feels like, my family laughs it off and says that im crazy.. my boyfriend doesn't know how to help me anymore, my life is falling apart and idk what to do anymore..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

janld HB User
Re: severe health anxiety

I don't have an answer for your problems, but I can say I do the same thing. I'm a 70 yo widow and I think I have everything in the health books. I fear dying, fear someone will find me dead. I can easily convince myself I have cancer all over my body. It's hard to describe how your mind can control so much. I am ashamed to tell anyone what depressing thoughts come into my mind. I can worry about disease in my body for weeks. I worry about blood pressure, heart attacks, cancer--everything you can think of. The other day I got on this board and just typed in hypochrondia and wham--lots of the posts described me to a "T." I felt so much better. I even imagine things wrong with my dog!!! I read about Cushing's disease in dogs, and then I was sure she has it. I think the best thing to do (and I read it in a post) is to eat healthy and exercise. This sounds terrible, but it's nice to know how much this effects many people. Hope you soon feel better.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

esther53 HB User

I also suffer from these dreadful feelings. I have always had the tendency to fixate on things, especially concerning my health (and more recently, the health of my loved ones). Just like you, my family has always made a joke out of it and although my boyfriend understands, I have felt sillier and sillier coming to him with the constant issues. I fear that one day something will actually be wrong with my health and no one will believe me. I wish I had the answer to stopping your obsessive thoughts. I know that for me, it must be stress related. My boyfriend is the one that pointed this out to me: he calls my obsessions my "flavor of the week." It made me angry at first, but I realized how completely true it is. He brings to my attention the stressful things I have going on in my life and says, "and instead you're worrying about what your headache means...last week it was your jaw pain." It's completely true. Try and alleviate the stressors in your life. Exercise, meditate, anything to concentrate your energies somewhere else. I've always carried my stress physically or in these weird mental manifestations, so it's hard to tell when it's stress causing your problems. Take a second to really evaluate what is going on in your life and more often than not I guarantee that your obsession is just a coping mechanism. The more you find that pattern in your life, the more convinced you'll be that there's nothing actually wrong with your health and that it's more likely just your mind. Stay strong

Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
(female)

janld HB User

Good post! I've been dealing all day today about all of the "fatal" things that are wrong with me. The mind is a powerful thing. The boards help if you can get a response. Thanks for posting!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

Jada62 HB UserJada62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janld View Post
I don't have an answer for your problems, but I can say I do the same thing. I'm a 70 yo widow and I think I have everything in the health books. I fear dying, fear someone will find me dead. I can easily convince myself I have cancer all over my body. It's hard to describe how your mind can control so much. I am ashamed to tell anyone what depressing thoughts come into my mind. I can worry about disease in my body for weeks. I worry about blood pressure, heart attacks, cancer--everything you can think of. The other day I got on this board and just typed in hypochrondia and wham--lots of the posts described me to a "T." I felt so much better. I even imagine things wrong with my dog!!! I read about Cushing's disease in dogs, and then I was sure she has it. I think the best thing to do (and I read it in a post) is to eat healthy and exercise. This sounds terrible, but it's nice to know how much this effects many people. Hope you soon feel better.

Wow I could have wrote this to the letter , I am a widow for 13 yrs, 70 in August of this yr...and have all those health anxieties plus panic and anxiety, have a yellow lab who is almost nine and started to have health issues.?i think I am making her into a hypochondriac just like me....she is all I have with me now and I love so and worry about her when iam not worrying about myself!,,,

Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
(female)

janld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
Wow I could have wrote this to the letter , I am a widow for 13 yrs, 70 in August of this yr...and have all those health anxieties plus panic and anxiety, have a yellow lab who is almost nine and started to have health issues.?i think I am making her into a hypochondriac just like me....she is all I have with me now and I love so and worry about her when iam not worrying about myself!,,,
My oh my, we do travel the same road, don't we? I think it is mostly because we have lost our beloved hubby's and have nothing to do but sit and worry. You mentioned your lab--my dog is a 13 yo Cavalier King Charles and I can't begin to tell you how much I love her and she loves me right back. I've been so worried about her, when we went to the vet for her annual last week, I had "senior" blood done (cost $95) because I was convinced she had Cushing's disease. Test came back negative for everything. Now I'm going to have to dream up something else to get anxious about. I just think widow's worry more than anyone else. I'm ashamed to tell my family all of these things I worry about. janet

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
My oh my, we do travel the same road, don't we? I think it is mostly because we have lost our beloved hubby's and have nothing to do but sit and worry. You mentioned your lab--my dog is a 13 yo Cavalier King Charles and I can't begin to tell you how much I love her and she loves me right back. I've been so worried about her, when we went to the vet for her annual last week, I had "senior" blood done (cost $95) because I was convinced she had Cushing's disease. Test came back negative for everything. Now I'm going to have to dream up something else to get anxious about. I just think widow's worry more than anyone else. I'm ashamed to tell my family all of these things I worry about. janet
I do not believe this...my name is Janet also

Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

janld HB User

Is the da the beginning of your last name?? janet

Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Is the da the beginning of your last name?? janet
No but close. De......iam from northeast ohio

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
(female)

janld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada62 View Post
No but close. De......iam from northeast ohio
That was getting scarey for a minute. My last name starts with Da, and I'm in AL. janet

Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

Iow how you feel ,vi constantly think I'm going to suddenly die from heart disease or brain tumor,aneurysm or meningitis, every nigh before bed I check my blood pressure,temperature and oxygen level. I purchased over 2.000$ worth of medical equipment. I have called an ambulance several times as well. I have done therapy and medication for over a year and it did help.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexilou713 View Post
For the past two years I have been dealing with severe anxiety disorder and severe hypochondria, it's literally ruining my life. all day, everyday i think about dying, or things that are in my body trying to kill me. i become fixated on a specific disease and it consumes my life. last year i was convinced i had a brain aneurysm and there was no convincing me otherwise. finally my doctor became so concerned with my anxiety that he sent me for an MRI just to prove to me that there was no aneurysm. when the results came back i felt better, i went back to living my life and being happy, i graduated from college, had an amazing summer, got a job and was very happy.. then this past January my right leg started to hurt and i became convinced that i had DVT, a blood clot in my right leg to be exact. the pain comes and goes, everyone else tells me that it's probably caused by the torn acl i currently have in my knee, but my thigh hurts, why would my knee cause my thigh to hurt.. im obsessed with measuring my legs to make sure one isn't more swollen than the other, this new fear is consuming my life just like the aneurysm from last year. normally i would go to the doctor so that i could feel better, but i don't have health insurance anymore.. im scared and i feel alone because no one understands what this feels like, my family laughs it off and says that im crazy.. my boyfriend doesn't know how to help me anymore, my life is falling apart and idk what to do anymore..
Omg!!! There is another me!!! I obsess about the same stuff exactly. I also measuremy klegs... Lol I have had ultrasounds done on them and I still obsess. Have your ferritin level checked. Mine is severly low and it contributes to anxiety and stuff. It'saawful I know, it's no way to live. I am 35 with 2 kids it consumes me sometimes. Sending hugs. Your not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to worrywort:
tampopo (05-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #13
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

I also worry about having a brain aneurysm,tumor,meningitis and so on.exept my doctors refuse to do even the simplest neurological exam there is. Saying all my symptoms are anxiety. I don't believe them and my anxiety is still sky high . I take my blood pressure 50 times a day and get super anxious if it's even a little bit high.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

amimad HB User

I feel the same way - i've imagined heart attack, stroke, am on my legs now fearing dvt - what a nightmare - on a positive note i have given up smoking for the last 3 months and am eating healthier - its nice to know i'm not alone

Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

I also gave up smoking and changed my diet so I could prevent lung cancer and such.

Reply Reply