It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #1

lemonhead514 HB User
Post help! how do i get rid of hypochondria?

I have a major problem with hypochondria. I worry about having all kinds of illnesses every day, about catching diseases, getting food poisoning, you name it. I've had this for years and it's only gotten worse. I saw a psychiatrist for it but it didn't help much. Please help, this is taking over my life. I can't even go out to eat without worrying about food poisoning, and I'm terrified of throwing up.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:37 AM   #2

rainbowbubbles HB User
Hi there,
I am also a hypocondriac, I think i have a brain tumour when i have a headache etc, I am also scared of throwing up or having others do around me. I cant really give you any advice as such as I dont know how to break the cycle of it myself, but wanted you to know your not alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2003, 04:46 AM   #3

pjo HB User
You're definitely not alone. I've been a hypochondriac for years. I think it goes hand-in-hand with anxiety. I'm so conscious of my body that when anything feels different, I think I'm going to die from it. I wish I could stop, but I don't know how. No, you are not alone.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 AM   #4
Inactive

tigerstx HB User
Lemonhead,
I don't think that you ever get over this until you conquer the anxiety attacks...I am trying to learn the "Coping Skills" to get through an attack, so that I WON'T think that something is alway's wrong with me...I alway's think that I have a brain tumor because of the headaches, heart attack because of the fast and rapid heartbeat...guess what?...I have had 2 MRI's of the brain and C-Scans--NO BRAIN TUMOR---have had every heart and blood test to show a heart attack, and am wearing a heart monitor right now because the fast heartrates...and guess what---my heart is perfectly NORMAL...but with people like us, it doesn't matter if they come back normal or not, we still obsess about it...so now I am reading and going through the Lucinda Bassett program and they are teaching people how to cope with the symptoms...it is true, the longer that we let the scarey (I mean frightning symptoms, I don't care how long you have had anxiety) symptoms scare us, the sicker we really will become...believe me I have a long way to go, but there is hope, with good family, friends and most of all CHRIST...
Hang in there...you are fine EASIER SAID THAN DONE

Old 02-06-2003, 09:39 AM   #5
Inactive

Mrs.romano HB User
hey i am also a hypocondriac from since i was a little girl.. i am now 18..
i have a huge fear of death so i worry about EVERY ILLNESS OUT THERE .. i had a headache so i thought i had a brain tumor and so much more..
oh yes i have had cancer for many years hahah..
everyone makes fun of me .. but it comes with anxiety so it isnt my fault .. i am now on paxil so i am hoping its help with my obessions about being ill..
to ease ur mind for a while ask ur doc for a full exam and i mean every thing ...

------------------
stacy

Old 02-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #6

lemonhead514 HB User
Thanks, everybody! I really am happy to know that I'm not alone in this, even though I'm not happy that other people have to go through this. I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:54 PM   #7

tracey2775 HB User
im the same. if i have a headache i think ive a brain tumor, im constantly worrying that im going to get cancer. i had pains in my breasts not long ago and i thought i has breast cancer.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #8

OkieGal HB User
I have been a hypochondriac since I was very little. I am 29 now. The smallest symptoms have me thinking worst case scenarios. Just as one example: I get a sore throat I am worried about my throat swelling and not being able to breathe, (stupid of me). I have severe anxiety attacks and I am always stressed out.
My parents didn't help any when I still lived at home. Every time I was injured or bitten by a bug or got sick it was oh my we have to get you to a doctor.
My parents freaked out over small stuff like that.
I would love to make this all go away.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #9

mommyof5 HB User
Hi, I'm another one!. headache=brain tumor, chest pain=heart attack, etc.. You're definitly not alone!.I only do this with myself though,I respond completely different to my childrens aches,pains and ailments.

mommyof5

Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #10

hypochondriac HB User
THEY ARE RIGHT YOU ARE NOT ALONE ... I AM HYPOCHONDRIAC (BEEN FOR 7 YEARS NOW) AND I THINK I HAVE EVERYTHING OUT THERE IT'S RIDICULOUS BUT LIKE THEY SAID IT'S NOT EASY TO CONTROL I TRY AND TRY TO TALK TO MYSELF AND CALM MYSELF DOWN BUT IT'S NOT EASY .. HANG IN THERE TOUGH,, YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND WE ARE THERE FOR YOU .. TAKE CARE

[This message has been edited by hypochondriac (edited 02-17-2003).]

Old 02-19-2003, 07:23 PM   #11

sands HB User
Smile

Me too. It didn't start until the anxiety problem. Now every little thing is a major disease. A pain in my leg=blood clot, pelvic pain = ectopic prg or cyst. It's something new all the time. I just started paxil and I'm hoping it will help. Also, I know easier said than done, but I've found relief just telling myself, that my symptoms are not serious. I realize I have a prob and I just remember that, but I know that's pretty simple.

Closed Thread