It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2003, 04:05 PM   #1

marylennox84 HB User
Post hypochondria

Is anyone else a hypochondriac? I feel like I've become one overnight....to the obsessive point. Its not fun at all. I just have this terrible feeling that its only a matter of time before someone's going to diagnos me with some terrible deathly ailment. In the past two weeks, I've been convinced I have the following: Hodgkins Disease, Heart problems, a heart attack, blood clot, stomach cancer, ovarian cancer, brain tumor, diabetes and MS. I have recently had blood drawn and tested negative for Hodgkins, any sort of cancer and diabetes. My heart has also been tested and it and my blood pressure are ticking along nicely.

But does anyone else suffer from hypochondria? Hopefully it will go away soon...

Old 06-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #2

jc001 HB User
The first thing you must do is quit looking at the symptoms list for all the diseases.

Unless you're a medical doctor you probably don't have the skills to interpret and understand what you're reading. Please don't get me wrong with the above comment ... what I mean is quit self-diagnosing yourself and go see a specialized doctor and let him deduct what you have.

There is no worst thing that a patient who reads symptoms lists on the internet; ... There's always a factor called "auto-suggestion" and just complicates matters even worst thus making it harder to diagnose an illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #3

jc001 HB User
After reading my post, I realized its a bit violent. I didn't mean it to be violent at all. What I poseted are the *EXACT* same words my brother (who happens to be an excellent cardiologist) said to me.

Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
hypochondria is common and sufferers usually get little help or understanding from doctors
might be worth seeing a psychiatrist, sometimes they can help, they are also trained as doctors

Old 06-30-2003, 06:48 PM   #5

marylennox84 HB User
jc...you are absolutely correct. I didn't find your post violent or rude...you are so correct. I just need to learn to stop worrying about the information I've been given.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User
Learning how to stop worrying can be pretty tough. Don't shrug this off as something silly you are going through. The worrying in itself is a real problem.

I think both hry and jc gave you good advice. You may not be able to follow through on jc's advice until you take up hry's on seeing a psychiatrist.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #7

Jake54 HB User
i've been turned into a hypo. i keep thinking there is something wrong with me because it seems like i can't think straight. this will happen when i have those tired episodes.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi - yep I can relate to all you ahve said. Mine started when I wasw 12 my granparents were both very ill and died and I became worried it would be me next. I then got like a stiff jaw and sore stomach - all classic stress/tension symptoms - of course to a 12 year old I though.........lock jaw, appendicitis etc etc. As I grew up I went through phases of being concerned with my health - if all is huncky dorey it is really not a problem - but if stressful situations arise or things that make me feel not in control - the physical symptoms appear - for example tight chest, shortness of breath, rapid heart, headaches, spaced out feeling etc etc - the list is so long I would run out of space. I really though that it was all due to real serious and life theraetning illnesses and the usual cycle strats up - feeling weird or ill - worry - thinking oh cancer etc - trip to the doctor - reassurance - subsiudence of symptoms. I am now 30 years old and it has taken me until probably 4 years ago to realise that most of the worry is just that worry and fear. Most of it is thought based - oh god it is serious I ma going to die, what if I have cancer, what if I have heart failure etc etc. I got some counselling - very worth while - actually it was counselling iin stress management that dealt with how to tackle these health fears. I am loads better now - and I now can recognise when a symptom is anxiety driven and when it is real. Basically if you are anxious type person (lots of us are) you brain has a wonderful tactic of jumping to the worse case secenario. Alot of getting in control is kinda tackling the thoughts of - oh god what if.... with thoughts of - well i have never been srerioulsy ill before why should I be this time. Also accepting when the doc tells you it is all OK - that you reallya re OK. For me it deffinately helped having a GP who I felt very comfortable with and that I could speak openly with. Of course over the years I have had some real illnesses which were nothing to do with stress or anxiety and reallly did require treatment. So I ,ma not saying do not visit the doctor. You need to try to relax, practice deep braething, burn the home medical books andinterneyt searches - i have so been there and done that i know. Loads of people have these knida problems it is just a matter of learning to cope with them. Incidenatlly I have never been told that I am a hypocondriac what I have been told that is that I suffer from sycosphymatic symptoms - plain english - stress/worry etc manifests itself in physical symptoms that in turn cause mental worry. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread