It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 08:54 AM   #1
Inactive

GertieMae HB User
Post Hypochondria

I swear Iam a Hypochondriac!I worry about EVERY ache-pain-symptom my body feels.It scares me!
It is getting worse not better.When I worry about these things I can feel the Adrenaline flowing OUT WARD which makes it so much worse.

If I have a slight ache in my upper Abdomen I think I have Hepatitis,Pancreatic Cancer or some other serious Disease.If my Urine is darker than normal in the morning upon first Urination,I just know I have a UTI,Kidney Infection or Kidney Disease...The list goes on and on..

How can I stop this??????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #2

zzzzlady HB User
GertieMae,
Are you on any meds for depression or anxiety? My doc also diagnosed me as having hypochondriasis. It's pretty much the same as a hypocondriac. He's got me on Lexapro and xanax. The lexapro is driving me crazy because of the side effects. I want to stop all these meds and try some natural herbs. I have had NO luck with the anti-depressants. I've tried Lexapro, zoloft and wellbutrin and none have worked.

Hypochondria is very dabillitating. It keeps you from enjoying life. And with all the constant worry and stress, it really will eventually begin to affect your physical health. Well for that matter, all anxiety conditions do. So please consider trying some meds. It might help.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Gertie,
The NY Times ran an article in September (9th?) featuring Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as the only known cure for hypochondria. CBT changed my life for the better and I sound like a broken record here sometimes recommending it to almost everyone. The best thing about CBT is that it often cures depression and panic disorder in as few as 12-weeks! I urge you to look into it further. My two favorite books on the subject are "Been there, Done That? Do This!" and "Feeling Good" The former is a quick read and probably the best starter book on CBT but Feeling Good goes into more depth and isa valuable resource.
Check one or both of them out and give CBT a try; I think you'll be glad you did.
Good Luck!

Billy

Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #4

im_a_jersey_girl HB User
I am the SAME way!!!!! Every little ache and pain is something horrendous. It's absolutely debilitating. I just try my best to talk myself out of it, and when my friends laugh at me at how ridiculous I'm being, it usually snaps me out of it really fast. I realize how stupid I can think, and I snap back to reality.

It really helps to post here, too. We've all been there!

Take care
Cathy

Closed Thread