It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Hypoglycemia? Then why do I feel worse after eating?

Hi,
I have a wide range of issues, including an inner ear disorder, but I've been saying for years that I think I have blood sugar problems. I've always been very skinny, but for about 2-3 years, I became about 50lbs. overweight due to antidepressant medication. I lost about 50 pounds in a year or a little over that, after getting off of the meds, and became normal weight. Then, I developed the ear disorder and became very underweight. At this present time, I am normal weight, although I lose weight quickly when I'm not feeling well from my ears. Anyway, I don't know if this is a possible cause, but I think I developed a blood sugar problem from the weight gain/quick weight loss. If I go for only 2 hours or less without eating something, I get EXTREMELY disoriented, weak, confused, tired, hungry and then nauseous, and strange feeling. Usually, I don't let myself go for that long or else it seems to make me feel crappy for the rest of the day. When I feel like this, I eat something, and while eating, I can barely force the food down, I get shaky, I get anxious, I get more disoriented, and I get a "rush" kind of feeling. After, I get in a really bad mood, and then I get cold. I start to feel a little less disoriented after about 20-30 minutes, and then I'm really TIRED. This never happens if I eat nonstop throughout the day, snacking regularly. It sounds in some ways like hypoglycemia, but I don't get sweaty or anything, like other people I've read about with hypoglycemia. Dizziness if actually another symptom I failed to mention. If this was hypoglycemia, does anyone know why I would feel ickier for a little while AFTER eating? Does this sound like diabetes instead? If anyone has any idea, they would be so greatly appreciated, thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
This is just my type 1 opinion... This sounds like classic hypoglycemia! You dont always get sweaty with these episodes. I would get a glucometer and keep track of your blood sugars. Take it on good days and bad so you know what it is doing. I am always very tired after an episode. All I want to do is sleep.

In the meantime, I would make sure to keep something with me to eat at all times. A small bag of jelly beans works for me. That way you are eating a simple carb that will drive your blood sugar back up in a short period of time. Then you can eat a larger meal when you get the chance. It works in a pinch. Good luck

Old 11-20-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: Hypoglycemia? Then why do I feel worse after eating?

So it DOES sound like hypoglycemia to someone. Hmmnn. Well, I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much for the reply. It actully eases my mind to know that it might be hypoglycemia, instead of something else. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #4

TedQuick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
Hi,
I have a wide range of issues, including an inner ear disorder, but I've been saying for years that I think I have blood sugar problems. I've always been very skinny, but for about 2-3 years, I became about 50lbs. overweight due to antidepressant medication. I lost about 50 pounds in a year or a little over that, after getting off of the meds, and became normal weight. Then, I developed the ear disorder and became very underweight. At this present time, I am normal weight, although I lose weight quickly when I'm not feeling well from my ears. Anyway, I don't know if this is a possible cause, but I think I developed a blood sugar problem from the weight gain/quick weight loss. If I go for only 2 hours or less without eating something, I get EXTREMELY disoriented, weak, confused, tired, hungry and then nauseous, and strange feeling. Usually, I don't let myself go for that long or else it seems to make me feel crappy for the rest of the day. When I feel like this, I eat something, and while eating, I can barely force the food down, I get shaky, I get anxious, I get more disoriented, and I get a "rush" kind of feeling. After, I get in a really bad mood, and then I get cold. I start to feel a little less disoriented after about 20-30 minutes, and then I'm really TIRED. This never happens if I eat nonstop throughout the day, snacking regularly. It sounds in some ways like hypoglycemia, but I don't get sweaty or anything, like other people I've read about with hypoglycemia. Dizziness if actually another symptom I failed to mention. If this was hypoglycemia, does anyone know why I would feel ickier for a little while AFTER eating? Does this sound like diabetes instead? If anyone has any idea, they would be so greatly appreciated, thanks
This is a perfect description of Reactive Hypoglycemia (or RH). Your pancreas has started to overcorrect for rising blood glucose (bg) levels some time after eating. This results in too much insulin being released resulting in low glucose levels. As a result you suffer the same efect as a diabetic who takes too much iunsulin, and hypoglycemia (aka hypo) results. This may or may NOT be a sign of developing diabetes. Some think of it ONLY as a precursor to diabetes, but I know some people who have have had RH most of their lives, 50 years+ in one case, and diabetes hasn't arrived for them.

This is usually a sign that your pancreas's Beta cells (that normally make insulin) don't store a small amount of insulin to be released when you start eating to take the edge off the rising bg level, so the pancreas over-responds when bg starts shooting up above ac eptable limits, but is limited in output. What happens is that it's racing to catch up, but it only responds to a falling level so it doesn't stop producing soon enough, and you go low with the symptomsyou cited (or others).

You feel very tired afterwards because your body has just gone through exhausting adjustments. Part of this may be the release of stored glycogen (a starch form of glucose) which turns back into glucose immediately that may make things worse, etc etc.

Please look at the following website, they address RH directly unlike everyone else:

[url]http://www.fred.net/slowup/hypo.html[/url]

Also note that the best treatment for a hypo for an RH person is to eat PROTEIN, which escapes the loop that makes things worse. It may take a little longer to go into effect, but works every time.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Thank you, TedQuick and everyone else. It definitely DOES sound like I have reactive hypoglycemia. In two weeks, I have an appointment with an endocrinologist, after I get some bloodwork done tomorrow. Until then, I'm definitely going to try to eat a lot of protein and limit the amount of sugar I've been taking in.

Closed Thread