It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 01:47 PM   #1

Gehn241 HB User
I need help with Reactive Hypoglycemia

[FONT=Verdana]
Greetings!

I have a serious case of reactive hypoglycemia, where my blood sugar levels drop to about 30....I was wondering what the best meal plans are for someone with my condition. I believe that the symptoms of this hypoglycemia (irritability, tension, anxiety) are affecting my personal relationships. Just wondering if anyone out there has a successful plan on dealing with this condition....I am a student and do not have access to certain foods all of the time (cafeteria food does not help). Most of the day I am in classes and was wondering what kinds of foods people carry around with them to aid their symptoms. Which foods should I eat? Which foods should I avoid? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Gehn241

Old 11-24-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Re: I need help with Reactive Hypoglycemia

Simply adding more protein to my meals and snacks made a huge difference in my life. I'm sure complex carbs would help, too, but they are more difficult to get. Actually, once I changed my snakcs, the problem almost disappeared. I carry peanuts with me as snacks. Sometimes, I also carry string cheese. And, anytime you have sugary snacks, including fruits and vegetables, make sure you have protein with them, like a nut butter of some kind. Seeds and nuts have helped me tremendously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #3

Gehn241 HB User

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried string cheese and peanuts, but do not feel like having them all of the time. If its necessary to do t hat, then I will. How often do you snack in a day? Do you feel you have to carry a bag of food around with you? I feel like I might need to as my blood sugar level drops very suddenly and very frequently.

-Gehn241

Old 11-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

I try to have about six small meals a day and I do carry a bag of food with me. I have bags of peanuts and yogurt granola bars all over the place. In college I carried Tiger's Milk and Balance bars with me, too, but I'm sure other bars would work fine.. I knew another woman who carried yogurt and boiled eggs as her morning snacks. When I was in grad school, I really felt like I spent more time searching for food than I did studying. The silly docs just kept telling me to eat more. Adding protein helped me so much.

Oh, another thing that is portable is jerky, but I think some of it has sugars added. I also carry baggies of dry Cheerios sometimes. I stay at home now, so it isn't as big of a deal, but I will try to think of others.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Inactive

thehomefolks HB User

i carry pretzels and panut butter crackers around with me. and orange juice. i fill up a large water botle ofjuice with ice in it every morning........

Closed Thread