It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
(male)

sam061 HB User
HYpoglycemia ?

I have had a interesting event happen the last two nights. Last night I ate a pretty heavy meal. Low carb, but heavy. I was going to bed at 11pm when my wife asked me if I checked my blood surgar. I said, "not after that meal!" But I checked it and it was 51. I about flipped. Didn't feel abnormal at all.

This evening I checked it at 5pm and it was 43. I had no feelings at all of it being low. I called Accucheck and was on hold for about an half of hour. My checking solutions were 1 month out of date. I went ahead and checked them and they were fine, but as I said, they were 1 month out of date so I didn't know if I was getting a correct reading or not.

I drank some milk and after 25 minutes someone answered. I was told that people that have had diabetes for a long time (10 years for me) often to not have hypo reactions. I take an oral pill. About 1.5 weeks ago I went to a geneic for Amaryl (sp). Could someone comment on this? Is all of this possible not to know you are in hypoglycmeia and not know it.

What about bedtime. As I stated it was 51 last night and I ate a teaspoon of peanut butter and some cererly (sp). Would sure like a response. Thanks - sam

Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

JB3 HB User
Re: HYpoglycemia ?

Sam,

I too do not tend to recognise my lows anymore, about a year ago, I had a low I did not recognise coming and ended up fitting, now I am very cautious when out and test more often. I am Type 2 on insulin and have had diabetes for nearly 20 years, had always recognised them before too.

Normally people on tablets only do not get hypoglycaemic so perhaps you need to keep a closer eye on your testing and check with your Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

duncanisfine HB User
Re: HYpoglycemia ?

Hi Sam.
It is a fact that you CAN have low blood sugars without realising, especially if you've been diabetic quite a long time. I've been diabetic for 17 years and for the past two years I've been having NO warning signs at all. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure what our readings translate as to you but I could have a blood sugar of 1.7 and still be up and walking round like normal.
When I mentioned this to the consultant at the hospital he said it can actually be due to be TOO well controlled which was suprising! Apparently if you run your levels at 5-7 as often as possible (like a non-diabetic) then you do lose warning signs. I was advised to run my levels slightly high for 3 months and then my warning signs would return. Not REALLY high just on the higher side of average. This actually worked for me so it might be worth asking your doctor or diabetic nurse about it.

Closed Thread