It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 06:53 AM   #1

cherry76 HB User
Post Hypoglycemia & kidney problems

Hi all,
I'm a newbie & I was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice.......

I am convinced that I am an undiagnosed hypoglycemic - I am 27 & have been having "funny turns" for as long as I can remember, which include palpitations, feeling faint, profuse cold sweats, panic-y, aggression & nausea etc virtually every mid-afternoon (I normally have lunch around 12.30 & then dinner when I arrive home at 6.30), but this seems to happen everyday (it on occasion happens in the mornings too) It gives me cravings for chocolate, milk, sweets, peanuts & anything that I can eat quickly to stop the sensations.

I have been tested for Diabetes in the past & these have always come back negative, however whenever I don't eat a meal "in-time" I get the above symptoms and invariably it takes me by surprise when I'm in a situation that means I can't get food quicklly. It is extremely frustrating & I don't know what to do. I also find it very hard to get people to understand that I quite often can't wait 'til 7/8pm to eat or that I need to snack between meal times!!

In the last 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with a UTI/Kidney infection that seems to be resisting the antibiotic treatment & now I'm worried that this has been caused by it. Plus the antibiotic that I'm on (Ciprofloxacin)seems to be exarcebating the situation.

Any ideas abtou any of the above???? Thanks, cherry76

Old 10-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
Cool

Hello
Welcome to the Boards. It sounds as though you should be tested for Hypoglycemia. If you continue to care for yourself with snacks during the day you will probably have a little better control over the feelings you are getting. It is good that you eat at calibrated intervals. But I would recommend small snacks of half a banana, or an orange. Try to snack on fruit instead of sweets. The sweets will activate the pancreas to produce more insulin. The fruits will not hit it as hard. Also if you eat light carbs and especially with protein this will keep you under better control if this is Hypoglycemia. Things like penutbutter and cracker snack crackers from the store are easily kept in a small container or packet. These do not activate the pancreas in the same manner and allows your body to use the secreted insulin to act on those foods first with less insulin production being activated. Please have a doctor test you out for this disease as soon as you can have it done. You will be more at ease and have greater information given to you by the medical field if you do have this. Let the doctors know exactly what you are doing, and going through. Log everything until you get the appointment. Food, times you eat. What amounts, Sensations with good descriptions. Keep this log and bring it with you. This will help your diagnosis.
Best of luck; Let us know what happens after the appointment.
Don

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #3

cherry76 HB User
Thanks for your response, much appreciated! I do find it very hard to eat healthily, due to the fact that I'm extremely fussy/faddy/controlling with what I eat (I don't eat any fruit or veg), no doubt this has contributed to my current situation. I have tried to eat these products but can never get on with them, either due to taste or texture!! I appear to have a fast metabolism as I manage to stay fairly thin despite all the fatty/sugary/bad foods I eat! (I also eat quite a lot of carbs - particularly pasta & potatoes, I also eat a fair amount of diary) I'm concerned that I might get put on some sort of diet which I will not be able to get on with!!

To be honest, I'm unsure how to approach my doctor, I live in the UK & it's virtually impossible to make suggestions about your own health here, I have tried this before & got it thrown back in my face! What is the test for Hypoglycemia? Would it be worth getting a glucose monitor as well & when I have another of these episodes, I could also note my sugar levels along with any sensations etc??

Also, do you think it would have anything to do with my current kidney problems?
Thanks, cherry76

Closed Thread