It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2003, 06:19 AM   #1
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
Post Hypoglycemia

I have just recently been diagnosed with having Hypoglycemia. I also at the same time am trying to lose weight. Can anyone who knows anything about this please tell me anything you know about the best way to eat for Hypoglycemia, and also be able to lose weight? I understand sort of how I am supposed to be eating, but it seems like I eat all of the time and I am so confused about what carbs I should eat and what I shouldn't. Can anyone help me? Thanks! Kim

Old 04-17-2003, 06:37 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to limit your carbohydrates since these turn directly into glucose which will cause a blood sugar to rise but then it will fall rapidly unless there is enough protein to help keep it level. By eliminating actual sweets and excess carbohydrates from your diet you help keep your blood sugar more level. You need to eat a healthy breakfast, have snack in the morning, a low carb lunch, a mid afternoon snack, a good supper and then a bed time snack. You will need to carry some of those packets of cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers with you at all times so that when you feel a hypo attack coming on you can combat it right away until you can get someplace for a decent snack. You will also want to carry some ready sugar with you like a candy bar or glucose tablets in case it is severe. Your snacks will be best if there is some protein in them like cheese and crackers etc. As for losing weight the simple rule of burning off more calories than you take in is the best way to go. Also by eliminating a lot of the carbs you get is sweet things like desserts and doughnuts you will automatically start to loose some weight. If you have any further diet concerns you should schedule an appointment with a diabetic nurse practicioner or a dietician. Also a good thing to remember is that celery is called a negative calorie food since it takes more calories to chew and digest celery than what is in it so this is always a good choice for something to add your meals when watching your weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
One question I have is that my papers that my doctor gave me tell me to really push whole grains and fruit and veggies. How can I do this if I need to cut my carbs? I think this is what confuses me so much, because my papers say not to avoid carbs, but then again, carbs are what triggers my spells. I am SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!! Should I avoid things like peanut butter and whole grain crackers and breads?

Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
if you cant find any advice, try a diabetes educator or organisation, diabetics can get your problem from too many tablets or too much insulin

Old 04-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Whole grains and fruits and veggies are fine but for carbs you would be talking more about potatoes, rice, pasta, doughnuts etc. Peanut butter is an excellant choice for part of your snack as it has the protein you need just be sure to eat it on a soda cracker or something more like a "ritz" cracker and not on grahmn crackers. You can do a search for hypoglycemia on the web and find tons of information as well as diet info on this. You might also ask your doc for a referal to your local dietician or your diabetic health nurse for more information.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Hi Kim, I have hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed
back towards the end of the year.
My Endocrinologist put me on Metformin(Glucophage)
Has your doctor recommend medication?
The medication makes all the difference.
I take it 3 times a day as a diabetes preventative.
The American Diabetic Assoc. has a great web site with plenty of nutrition information. You can also subscribe to their magazine that arrives snail mail.
It is wealth of information.
Basically we need to follow the same diabetic guidelines.
The key to the carbs is to eat things like fruit with
protein such as a pear with a glass of non fat skim milk or other source of protein. It's really a great way to eat and the counting of your calories is the foundation of getting your diet right.
If you work with the diet and exercise you problaby won't have much trouble with weight.
With Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia(diabetes) you need to exercise anyway. It plays a vital role in metabolism.
Being on the medication helps to prevent those dangerous lows because it increases ones sensitivity to the available insulin in your body. When the cells are accepting the body insulin the Pancreas stops going crazy and you have better glucose control.
I feel a whole lot better since starting on the medication.
Wishing you all the best with the new diet and lifestyle. It's good to feel better.
kat

Closed Thread