It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Hypoglycemia vs. diabetes

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between hypoglycemia and type 2 diabetes, symptoms wise?

Is sugar/alcohol sensitivity a problem for hypoglycemics just as much as it is for diabetics?

I notice symptoms of my condition get worse when I have a lot of refined sugar and pretty much any amount of alcohol, I'm wondering if that's more common among hypoglycemics or among diabetics...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Hypoglycemia vs. diabetes

Hi, Bill Zenith . . . I am hypoglycemic and my husband is diabetic.

My husband is on oral tablets to control his diabetes but still eats sugary things without seeming to have any bad effects from it.

I dare not eat sweets. It raises my blood sugar too high and then I go into a crash (have taken blood glucose tests during a crash which range around the thirties or forties when this happens). I control mine by eating a balanced amount of protein and carbohydrate but always start my day out with protein to get my sugar regulated at the start.

Diabetics will also get the shakes, feeling like they are going to drop and other symptoms when their sugar gets too low. My husband's face will turn pale and his eyes will start to look funny. He carries glucose tablets. When I get my symptoms (which are merely the feelings and not the appearance like he gets), I will eat some cheese and that usually brings me right back.

I hope this has helped. If your blood sugar readings are consistently high (like 200 or more range) when tested, this is more indicative of possible adult onset diabetes.

Let us know what you find out!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaru View Post
Hi, Bill Zenith . . . I am hypoglycemic and my husband is diabetic.

My husband is on oral tablets to control his diabetes but still eats sugary things without seeming to have any bad effects from it.

I dare not eat sweets. It raises my blood sugar too high and then I go into a crash (have taken blood glucose tests during a crash which range around the thirties or forties when this happens). I control mine by eating a balanced amount of protein and carbohydrate but always start my day out with protein to get my sugar regulated at the start.

Diabetics will also get the shakes, feeling like they are going to drop and other symptoms when their sugar gets too low. My husband's face will turn pale and his eyes will start to look funny. He carries glucose tablets. When I get my symptoms (which are merely the feelings and not the appearance like he gets), I will eat some cheese and that usually brings me right back.

I hope this has helped. If your blood sugar readings are consistently high (like 200 or more range) when tested, this is more indicative of possible adult onset diabetes.

Let us know what you find out!

Lindaru
Thanks, this has been helpful.

A year ago, I checked my blood sugar with a home glucose monitor in the morning a few times, when my symptoms were really bad (eye problems, dry/itchy skin, numbness/tingling in extremities, generalized neuropathy). I guess I checked it about 5 times. Each time, the reading came out low normal--a couple times in the 80s. So this is consistent with hypoglycemia, but not diabetes.

Is there a better time to check blood sugar esp. if you're looking for hyperglycemia (diabetes), rather than hypoglycemia?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

The best readings for diabetes are taken about an hour after a meal and then again another hour after. It is normal to see a high reading (possibly in the 100 to 200 range) right after eating, depending on what you consumed. It should start to go down towards normal yet another hour after that.

They diagnosed my husband's by doing three or four hourly tests after he drank this solution and it stayed in the 200's for the first couple and high 100's for the second couple.

There are other indicators of diabetes they checked him for such as ketones and protein in his urine for which he was positive.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Lindaru

Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
The best readings for diabetes are taken about an hour after a meal and then again another hour after. It is normal to see a high reading (possibly in the 100 to 200 range) right after eating, depending on what you consumed. It should start to go down towards normal yet another hour after that.

They diagnosed my husband's by doing three or four hourly tests after he drank this solution and it stayed in the 200's for the first couple and high 100's for the second couple.

There are other indicators of diabetes they checked him for such as ketones and protein in his urine for which he was positive.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Lindaru
I just tested my blood sugar 3 times in a 5 minute period, two days ago. I was feeling pretty bad at the time (visual problems, fogginess, sweating) so I decided to see what I could find out. The important thing here is that I did the test shortly after having a lot of coffee (like 3 cups) with sugar, actually an hour before I tested, and then JUST before the test I had another half cup. I had eaten about 6 hours before these tests so the coffee was on an empty stomach. The 3 readings averaged out to 85... isn't this a bit low considering how coffee w/sugar is supposed to increase blood sugar?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Coffee with sugar is not a good thing to test after. Yes, the sugar will temporarily increase your blood sugar but the caffeine will increase your metabolism and cause any sugar to burn out more quickly.

If you really want to get a good idea, try doing a completely fasting (only water taken before if needed) glucose test. Just test once and do over three or four mornings.

I have had to do this in the past when the doctor does not order fasting blood tests for me.

Try this and let me know what your readings are.

Lindaru

Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Coffee with sugar is not a good thing to test after. Yes, the sugar will temporarily increase your blood sugar but the caffeine will increase your metabolism and cause any sugar to burn out more quickly.

If you really want to get a good idea, try doing a completely fasting (only water taken before if needed) glucose test. Just test once and do over three or four mornings.

I have had to do this in the past when the doctor does not order fasting blood tests for me.

Try this and let me know what your readings are.

Lindaru
I think i'll try testing after a meal and then 2 hours after a meal as you suggested earlier, just to get an idea of what's going on.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
(male)

frank jm HB User

You should take your sugar blood readings either 1 hr. before a meal , or 2and 1/2 hrs
after a meal. for Hypoglycemia 85 is a good reading, Thats about normal for me 2 and
1/2 after meal like breakfast. The range waould be 78 to 95

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Lindaru,

I followed your advice. Here are the symptoms I was noticing (which prompted the blood sugar check): numb fingers, tingling in hands, warmth for no reason, thirst for no reason, mental confusion, visual oddities.

I tested my blood sugar at 6:30 today, which was 5 minutes after a meal. The reading came out to 81 mg/dL.

I then checked it at 7:30, came out to 115 mg/dL.

The last reading took place at 8:40, came out to 94 mg/dL.

Things to note are that I felt better after having the meal (some symptoms diminished), but that I still had symptoms throughout the entire course of the 2 hours, it's just that they seemed to shift around a bit.

What would the readings suggest to you?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hello, again, Bill Zenith . . . I have to say that those blood sugar readings for the times look pretty normal to me. It is possible for hypoglycemics to come up with those readings (I have in the past after testing after meals) but the fact that you were still having symptoms after two hours concerns me that this is not related to hypoglycemia or diabetes.

When I eat after I start getting symptoms, the longest it has ever taken for me to feel normal is an hour and that was complicated by fighting a virus, dealing with allergies or stress. Most times I feel better within a few minutes of finishing the meal. The same goes for my diabetic husband. He will feel better really quickly.

I am at a loss to think of what else might be causing your symptoms. Perhaps someone else here knows?

Lindaru

Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Hello, again, Bill Zenith . . . I have to say that those blood sugar readings for the times look pretty normal to me. It is possible for hypoglycemics to come up with those readings (I have in the past after testing after meals) but the fact that you were still having symptoms after two hours concerns me that this is not related to hypoglycemia or diabetes.

When I eat after I start getting symptoms, the longest it has ever taken for me to feel normal is an hour and that was complicated by fighting a virus, dealing with allergies or stress. Most times I feel better within a few minutes of finishing the meal. The same goes for my diabetic husband. He will feel better really quickly.

I am at a loss to think of what else might be causing your symptoms. Perhaps someone else here knows?

Lindaru
It really is very puzzling. I have also been having foamy urine for a while (likely some kind of proteinuria; or protein leakage) which is said to be caused by diabetes, among other conditions. Judging from my past readings, my official blood test, and these last readings a couple days ago, diabetes is highly unlikely.

I'll have to get to the doctor soon about this, though I've actually been having occasional foamy urine for a few years now. Don't know why I'm just getting really bothered by it now, rather than before... must be because the symptoms of my condition are becoming unmanageable. And I'm scared at the possibility of what I might discover.

I can say that B12 deficiency is suspected in my case (from my own online research--haven't told the doc yet, they don't like self-diagnosis ), but I don't know if it can account for the symptoms I wrote about during those 3 blood sugar readings.

My TSH was normal in the blood test I had 6 months ago.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
(male)

bigbaddog HB User

So did you get to the bottom of what was wrong? I have similiar symptoms!

Closed Thread