It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User
Fibromyalgia and Hypoglycemia

I just read that 40% of people with Fibromyalgia also have hypoglycemia. I have had Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and reactive hypoglycemia for many years. Right now my FMS is in a flare, and my hypoglycemia is really severe. I was curious if there are others out there like me who have both and when one flares, the other does too? I was wanting to find out what diet and general suggestions have helped. I would appreciate any and all comments or suggestions.
Thanks,

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Hypoglycemia

I have Fibro and Hypoglycemia and I have had mine under control for the past year or so. I use cinnamon for it. I just sprinkle some on my cereal every morning which makes my oatmeal or cherrios tasty. There are cinnamon pills you can buy also.

Also, avoiding simple sugar and eat a low carb diet helps also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
(male)

maccafan007 HB User

I used to get it and didn't realize it was fibromyalgia related. I limit carbs and eat protiens and it's pretty much resolved. Since you're in flare, i'm sure it's worse. Eat scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast and that'll be a good start for your day

Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccafan007 View Post
I used to get it and didn't realize it was fibromyalgia related. I limit carbs and eat protiens and it's pretty much resolved. Since you're in flare, i'm sure it's worse. Eat scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast and that'll be a good start for your day
Thanks for responding. I didn't realize that FMS and RHG were related either, but just recently I found that in all of my books on FMS on my bookshelf, it is mentioned. You realize that I already read those books, most likely cover to cover, so I can only blame fibro- fog on why I didn't remember the connection. It would have saved me a lot of grief.

My RHG is severe to say the least at this point. My doctor did a glucose tolerance test and said that my BS got so low I should have been in a coma. I'm lucky they were able to catch the low result. It got so bad that my adrenal glands were dumping adrenaline regularly to increase my blood sugar, but thats another story.

Eggs and bacon sound good! I found out a long time ago that me and cold cereal for breakfast don't mix well. I am looking for snack suggestions, which are recommended. And, I guess I'm going through a mourning period for my carbs. I'm still craving them, and have been focusing on what I can't eat instead of what I can. It's hard to totally rethink your diet. I'm going to have to spend some quality time at the grocery store.

Thanks for your replies,

Old 07-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
(male)

maccafan007 HB User

I have a real problem everytime i eat grains or cereals. And Colas and sodas, forget it! You can get some beef jerkey, or some almonds, or pork rinds lol for snacks. Also, get some glucose tablets, too. Carry those around with you in case of emergency! Be safe

Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi there! I've got the 'combo' and I don't need to be in a flare to experience symptoms. I do stick to a low carb, high protein diet. I have lost a bunch of weight and I'm doing much better. The almond suggestion is a great one, BTW!

Kirstee

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for responding. Although I wouldn't wish this on anybody, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. Almonds seem to tear up my gut, but nuts are definitely a good suggestion. I read that RHG sufferers should eat every 2-3 hours. My mainstays for snacks have been cheese, sunflower seeds, unsalted cashews, peanut butter on celery, small amounts of plain yogurt, grilled chicken chunks in salads, vienna sausages, and I even tried some turkey spam (that wasn't so bad, actually). Getting tired of the same ole things. Any other suggestions besides beef jerky and almonds? There are lots of sugars in some of the "jerkies," including the turkey jerky. I was surprised to find that there is brown sugar in deviled ham, although the label claims 0 sugars, so there must not be much.

My doctor says that my RHG is so severe that I shouldn't even eat fruits or high complex carbs without eating some form of protein with them, and forget about anything with sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, or any "oses." I bought a book yesterday on the Glycemic Load diet, hoping this will guide me as to the better choices for hi-comp carbs and fruits.

The book mentioned that people with low blood sugar are on their way to being insulin resistant and eventually diabetic. My doctor mentioned something like that. I've read some say that's true and other's say its baloney. What do you think? What have you read? I've had RHG for a long time, with it getting more severe at times. It flared twenty years ago happening routinely around Halloween (candy) then during my last pregnancy (12yrs ago), and again now that I am most likely going thru perimenopause. Hormonally related? Stress related? Autonomic nervous system related?

Any thoughts?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I eat boiled eggs, yogurt, sometimes sneak a banana (not a good choice but so yummy). I eat some of the things you've been noshing on as well. I found that after I stabilized my eating habits to accomodate the hypoglycemia, I was able to occasionally eat a no-no and not crash.

I'm not sure where I stand in the diabetic debate. I'm not anticipating going in that direction - positive thinking and good eating habits are my defense.

Kirstee

Closed Thread