It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
unable to digest sugar?

I heard once that a person who has hypoglycemia is unable to digest sugar? Do you think this is true?
I understand the concept of hypoglycemia being I've had to suffer the horrible symptoms of it for years now...but an interesting thing I've discovered that happened to me and I don't know if this is correlated with hypoglycemia and hormones, but I noticed that right before I had a total hysterectomy back in 2005, I had MORE attacks of hypo and after having the surgery I had a remission period for a few years but am now getting it back again... so I'm wondering if it can be related to hormone issues due to a certain type of ovarian cysts? that's why I had the total hysterectomy because of chronic cysts that were debilitating and were always winding me up in the emergency room of my local hospital plus damaging effects to one of my ovaries and tube that was totally destroyed... so I'm wondering if other woman out there have had similar experiences such as myself? so number 1: is it true that we're unable to digest sugar? and number 2: do you think it can be hormonally related?
just curious....

Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Re: unable to digest sugar?

I'm curious, too.

number 1: is it true that we're unable to digest sugar?

I don't think so, but i don't really know

number 2: do you think it can be hormonally related?

I think absolutely yes, but maybe not exclusively female-hormone related. Why I think yes? My hypo symptoms are more frequent in PMS. I've read somewhere that progesterone helps to balance glucose levels in blood. So if we're estrogen dominant, that might cause sugar problems, too.

I do have an ovarian cyst which I'm "carrying in" for about 5 years now; it looks like an endometrial one on ultrasounds. It's not growing and not disturbing me much (it seems; I don't know how it affects other areas of my health). And I also have fibrocystic breasts. So I'm sure I have some hormonal imbalance.

And now that I seem to have a confirmed reactive hypoglycemia (haven't been to an endo yet to have them see my OGTT results), I wonder which started first - female hormones or insulin or anything else (like stubborn Ferritin staying low)...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread