It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

onesweetworld HB User
Hypoglycemia episodes, not sure what's going on

Iíve been having what I think are hypoglycemic episodes on and off for the past several months but Iím not sure what exactly is going on since Iíve never been diagnosed with diabetes.

A little history:
Back in March, I moved in with my parents for a while and gained 12 pounds over the course of three months, which was very strange considering nothing in my diet changed and Iíve always been the same weight for as long as I can remember. Iíve never been a gym person and have a lightly active lifestyle, but had always been a healthy height and weight at 5í4íí and 125 pounds.

I started having palpitations around that time. I acquired a pulse oximeter and would watch my heartrate go up to 120 or 130 just with simple things like bending down to pick something up and cleaning up around the house. I saw a cardiologist and a pulmonologist, both of whom ruled out any serious disorders. The cardiologist said I have a trace of mitral valve prolapse (it runs in my family) but that it was nothing to worry about. I was told to begin an exercise regimen.

For two months now, Iíve been working out with a trainer three times a week. I havenít lost any weight on the scale but Iíve lost some inches.

Hypoglycemia episodes:
I recall one morning a few months back, I woke up and felt extremely nauseous and dizzy. I was sweating, trembling, and feeling like I was going to pass out. I remember feeling very hot and my heart was racing. I fell to the floor in my bathroom and lay on the linoleum until I felt like I could get up again.

This same incident occurred again just last month during one of my training sessions. I always make sure to eat an hour or so before I work out, usually yogurt, a granola bar, oatmeal, or some kind of protein. I had eaten roughly three hours before my workout on this day, and 15 minutes into light exercise, I suddenly felt extremely dizzy and my trainer noticed I had become pale and was shaking. I was also sweating profusely and felt nauseous.

Every so often I have mild episodes of hypoglycemia. I will feel hungry and dizzy and my vision becomes blurry. I get confused, anxious, and my heart starts racing. It usually goes away after I eat something.

On a related note, Iíve also noticed I get lightheaded pretty much all the time, but this is separate from the hypoglycemia episodes since the sole symptom is dizziness. If I bend down to pick something up, I feel dizzy. If I get out of bed in the morning, I feel dizzy. If I perform certain exercises with my trainer, I get dizzy. I suppose the dizziness could be due to some kind of inner ear infection (I had labyrinthitis a couple of months ago that lasted for a week) but I canít be sure.

I had blood tests and thyroid tests taken back in June and everything was normal except for a slightly elevated CRP level. Iím seeing an endocrinologist next week and I will discuss all of this with him then. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if anyone has advice or a similar experience to share. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Hypoglycemia episodes, not sure what's going on

The fact that it goes away with eating does seem to point to low blood sugar. Has your doctor sent you for a glucose tolerance test? I'm pre diabetic and I had terrible hypos before I was diagnosed, and that included feeling weak, shaky, panicky, sweating, and total brain fog, my brain would just shut down and I would start slurring my words and having trouble talking or thinking, I never had trouble with passing out though, I would just stumble around and felt like I had been drugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesweetworld View Post
Iíve been having what I think are hypoglycemic episodes on and off for the past several months but Iím not sure what exactly is going on since Iíve never been diagnosed with diabetes.

A little history:
Back in March, I moved in with my parents for a while and gained 12 pounds over the course of three months, which was very strange considering nothing in my diet changed and Iíve always been the same weight for as long as I can remember. Iíve never been a gym person and have a lightly active lifestyle, but had always been a healthy height and weight at 5í4íí and 125 pounds.

I started having palpitations around that time. I acquired a pulse oximeter and would watch my heartrate go up to 120 or 130 just with simple things like bending down to pick something up and cleaning up around the house. I saw a cardiologist and a pulmonologist, both of whom ruled out any serious disorders. The cardiologist said I have a trace of mitral valve prolapse (it runs in my family) but that it was nothing to worry about. I was told to begin an exercise regimen.

For two months now, Iíve been working out with a trainer three times a week. I havenít lost any weight on the scale but Iíve lost some inches.

Hypoglycemia episodes:
I recall one morning a few months back, I woke up and felt extremely nauseous and dizzy. I was sweating, trembling, and feeling like I was going to pass out. I remember feeling very hot and my heart was racing. I fell to the floor in my bathroom and lay on the linoleum until I felt like I could get up again.

This same incident occurred again just last month during one of my training sessions. I always make sure to eat an hour or so before I work out, usually yogurt, a granola bar, oatmeal, or some kind of protein. I had eaten roughly three hours before my workout on this day, and 15 minutes into light exercise, I suddenly felt extremely dizzy and my trainer noticed I had become pale and was shaking. I was also sweating profusely and felt nauseous.

Every so often I have mild episodes of hypoglycemia. I will feel hungry and dizzy and my vision becomes blurry. I get confused, anxious, and my heart starts racing. It usually goes away after I eat something.

On a related note, Iíve also noticed I get lightheaded pretty much all the time, but this is separate from the hypoglycemia episodes since the sole symptom is dizziness. If I bend down to pick something up, I feel dizzy. If I get out of bed in the morning, I feel dizzy. If I perform certain exercises with my trainer, I get dizzy. I suppose the dizziness could be due to some kind of inner ear infection (I had labyrinthitis a couple of months ago that lasted for a week) but I canít be sure.

I had blood tests and thyroid tests taken back in June and everything was normal except for a slightly elevated CRP level. Iím seeing an endocrinologist next week and I will discuss all of this with him then. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if anyone has advice or a similar experience to share. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Generally Hypoglycemic episodes are triggered by drastic weight loss of lack of eating, which causes dangerous dips in your blood sugar. In November I had been feeling awful all morning at work, just couldn't get it together..the last thing I remember is my head actually hitting the desk and my boss saying I should go home.... apparantly after that I got in my car and drove home...where I passed out on the road, crossed the yellow line and ran head first into a boulder on the side of the road. Totaled my car and jacked myself up pretty good....I don't remember any of it because I had a really severe consussion, I've got a 3 week blank, along with severe contusions, a cracked knee bone and several gashes and lacerations...i was lucky I didn't kill somebody. What set this off was...in October my seizure and migraine meds were adjusted and caused me to lose 31 lbs...no appetite whatsoever, literally go for days and just forget to eat...Now I have to deal with Hypoglycemia. I set alarms on my cell phone to remind me to eat. I still have episodes but I can tell when they're coming and keep things on me to treat them...candy canes and orange juice are great at raising blood sugar quickly. I monitor my blood sugar and try to keep it as regulated as possible.

If you haven't lost a lot of weight and you eat regularly, then what your experience most likely is not hypoglycemic episodes...

kat

Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

I too had all of the same symptoms you had minus the passing out. I did have the falling over, blurred vision, sweating, heart racing, shaking, etc. I also went to dr. who sent me for EKG to check my heart. Dr. originally thought mitral valve prolapse. Blood work was drawn and all was good there. Doctor at this point told me to make sure I eat something every 2-3 hours because it was hypoglycemic episodes. I had not had any major weight loss then or any time near then. So I myself started to track these episodes the best I could. The majority of the time it was either during or around my menstrual cycle. I guess my system goes completely out of wack when it is that time of the month for me. There are some other times it happens, but that is when I really go w/out eating for like the whole day or something.

Closed Thread