It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
seems my 5-hour OGTT reveals Reactive Hypoglycemia

Following are my 5-hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test results.

Glucose

1st number is in mg/dL, second in mmol/L

Fasting: 102.6 - 5.7
30 min: 171.0 - 9.5
1 hour: 118.8 - 6.6
2 hours: 97.2 - 5.4
3 hours: 68.4 - 3.8
4 hours: 86.4 - 4.8
5 hours: 90.0 - 5.0

My lab range is 3.9 - 6.4 mmol/L.

The 30min test was done with an AccuCheck glucometer (so that's capillary blood), where my result was 10.7, but they said they subtract 11% to get the actual result. So they wrote 9.5 on paper.

All the other numbers are based on venous blood draw.

Should anyone be interested, I can post also my Insulin and C-peptide levels during this glucose tolerance test (except at 30min mark).

I have not been to any doctor yet, but it seems these results are diagnostic of Reactive Hypoglycemia, which is said to be a pre-diabetic condition. When my Blood Glucose went mildly low at the 3-hour mark, I had only 2 symptoms: feeling shaky and a little hot.

I've had more and worse symptoms at home, which motivated me to have this 5-hour OGTT; so I think at times my BG does go lower than it did at the lab.

P.S. The glucometer test at 30min had not been planned; I just thought it might be useful, so I asked for it on the spot. I asked for another one at 90min, and that was exactly the same number as the 1 hour vein blood result.

Last edited by peace4health; 01-23-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: adding info in P.S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: seems my 5-hour OGTT reveals Reactive Hypoglycemia

Sounds like you did the right thing as I know I would want everything done to see what I was dealing with. I guess now you just need to keep an eye on things, as well as your Dr. and hopefully all will be fine.

Thanks for the update and best wishes...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you so much, JJ! Your replies (including the one at the Diabetes board) made me smile! You just made me happy by your care and wishes

Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Your more then welcome and you will find many, many caring and nice folks here. Glad I could bring a smile, Lord knows we all need one especially when not feeling well or have health issues. Hang in there.

All my best...JJ.....

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

If you are having hypos it may mean you are prediabetic. I had the same thing and was having 2-3 bad hypos a day before I was diagnosed. They would come on very suddenly and I would get very weak, shaky, have sweating and anxiety, get drowsy and even start slurring my words. I also had other symptoms such as drinking excess amounts of water, dry mouth etc and even now I'm surprised by how bad my symptoms were even though I wasn't full blown diabetic. The way it was explained to me is that when you become insulin resistant your body compensates by producing extra insulin when you eat and eventually the excess insulin gets through and you end up in a hypo so it's like a peak and trough cycle with your blood glucose.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
(female)

Thank you for the info, captjane. From what you've written, I suppose you were never diagnosed hypo or treated for it. Do you think you could have reversed/prevented diabetes had you kept hypo under control with diet?

The strange thing is that at times I can go 7-8 hours without eating anything and experience no symptoms of hypo, just feeling normal hunger. At other times, I become shaky, lightheaded, weak (especially in legs), start sweating and - I think classically - experience unusual hunger. I start quickly and anxiously eating whatever I can find at that moment.

I've given up white flour and white sugar more than 10 years ago, and I don't usually eat sweets. I changed my diet long ago, simply wishing to eat healthy. So the "whatever I can find at that moment" is usually not a simple carbohydrate.

I do happen to rarely eat store-bought cookies made with white flour & sugar, but that's because we have no health food stores where I live, and sometimes I do have to eat when out.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

hi, no I wasn't diagnosed as hypoglycemic, the hypos were a symptom of my becoming prediabetic and I have managed to keep it controlled with diet alone for about 4 years now with no medication.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
(female)

I saw 2 endocrinologists today, both say my "sugar story" (OGTT) is normal, and that I should look somewhere else to find the problem.

Of course I'd prefer to believe them on this, but...

One of them said my fasting Proinsulin level shows "some" insulin resistance. Proinsulin range is 0.7-4.3pmol/L, my result is a little bit higher than it should be - 4.91.

The other endo said my C-peptide levels were low (though within the range), but they responded well to the surge of glucose. When I asked her whether low-normal C-peptide levels meant I had less than normal beta cells, she said: "It means you can have diabetes in the future, and it means you don't have reactive hypoglycemia."

My fasting C-peptide is 0.43, the range being 0.37-1.47nmol/L
(that translates into my result being 1.3ng/mL & I don't know what the range in ng/mL is supposed to be).

So one says mild insulin resistance, the other "future diabetes", but both of them deny metabolic disorder. Sounds really strange to me. Or is there any logic to their conclusion?

Last edited by peace4health; 01-26-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

"The strange thing is that at times I can go 7-8 hours without eating anything and experience no symptoms of hypo"

Peace, I think this is a big part of your problem because when you go several hours without food you are starving your body of fuel and your blood sugar will gradually drop, but you only experience symptoms when it gets very low and that's not particularly abnormal after such a long time without food. Reactive Hypo is very different because it happens in response to eating, instead of fasting. If you make sure you eat regularly you may not have any symptoms at all but I would ditch the cookies and take some fruit with you instead if you need to snack, or if you are e.g. on the road all day and don't have anywhere to buy food then you could pack a small cooler with food in the morning to take with you. Your body needs a regular supply of energy throughout the day and skipping meals is just not healthy for anyone. HTH

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
(female)

Thank you, Captjane!

In fact, the hypo symptoms I experienced came a couple of hours after a meal. But what I called strange is that it's not always the case. At times I may have hypo symptoms after meals, while at other times I can go hours without food (that is, after a meal) and experience nothing but normal hunger.

One doc suggested my symptoms might be caused by low blood pressure. I'm usually 100/60 or 90/60. I wonder if eating fixes hypotension... I mean if my symptoms are not caused by low blood glucose, but they go away as soon as I eat something sweet, can that sweet thing raise my blood pressure and make me feel ok?

Last edited by peace4health; 01-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

yes your bp can rise when you eat because blood supply gets directed to your stomach so your heart works harder which makes your bp go up, so that's possible. Either way if you eat every 2-3 hours it will keep your blood sugar and bp much more stable. when you have these episodes I would also make a note of what you ate within the last couple of hours and over time you might see a pattern, and if you have a home bp monitor you could also check your bp to see if it has dropped, yours is low anyway so it wouldn't take much for it to drop enough for you to notice symptoms.

Last edited by captjane; 01-27-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
GsSweetie (02-28-2012), peace4health (01-27-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
(female)

GsSweetie HB User

According to the American Diabetes Association a fasting blood sugar >100 means prediabetes...which means you're insulin resistant.

GsSweetie

Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
(male)

antonabe HB User

My problem I am sure has been adddressed before since I have just joined.I have been diabetic and take Glucophage three times daily.My blood sugar in the past was around 120 in the morning and gradually drops to 90 to 100 by afternoon.At night it went up to as much as 140.In the past I had a heavy dinner with a drink of Scotch and for the past few months my dinner has been light and sans the Scotch.My Blood sugar levels have come down to 100 in the morning,70 in the afternoon and 90 at night.Is this unusual or is it that my Diabetes has now been controlled

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
(female)

In case anyone with the same symptoms stumbles upon this thread in search of answers, I'd like to update that now I'm diagnosed pre-diabetic. And actually reactive hypoglycemia is not leading to pre-diabetes, it is pre-diabetes.

This is what I've learnt:

In pre-diabetes, when you have a meal containing a certain amount of carbohydrates/sugars (each person's tolerance of carb quantity may be different), your blood sugar levels rise above normal within 30-90 minutes because your 1st Phase insulin is deficient (or you're insulin resistant), then "in panic" your pancreas produces more insulin than it would normally have in 2nd Phase, which in turn lowers your blood sugar levels more than needed. That's Reactive Hypoglycemia (I'm not a doctor, that's just what I have discovered by now).

Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
(female)

Antonabe, I suggest you start a new thread in the Diabetes forum & copy your message there.

Hope you can find answers there, as this is the Hypo sub-forum.

Closed Thread

Tags
glucose tolerance, ogtt, pre-diabetic, reactive hypoglycemia

« Worried | low sugar »