It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

splinterjames HB User
home meter accuracy/cause of hypo

Hello Everyone,

Here's hoping someone can help before I see a doc. I've had some various weird symptoms including classic low blood sugar that eases with eating. I never thought anything was wrong until yesterday when this happened after eating. Since I usually do not eat until mid-morning, I just chalked it up to being busy, waiting too long, etc. I always do have a 12 oz. regular soda every morning. I have a diabetic meter from a late in life pregnancy (7 yrs. ago) when the in office test revealed gestational diabetes-barely. When I followed the diet, my sugars were too low, so I had to follow a modified diet. Anyway, back to now, I experienced a couple of dizzy spells in the past month-one lasting most of the evening. After reading up on hypo, I'm thinking I might need to go to an endocrinologist. But.....what I've read is very scary. It mentions that hypo unrelated to diabetes is usually caused by pancreatic tumors or liver disease. So my first question would be if anyone here has just plain old hypoglycemia without any horrible cause. My second question is how accurate are home meters? I ask this b/c after yesterday's episode, I tested with a reading of 73 when experiencing symptoms. I had had my usual soda a couple of hours prior plus I had about 5 dates about an hour prior to taking this reading. I ate again & after a half hour tested with a reading of 107 plus felt better. My sister is a nurse & suggested using my meter for a fasting today. So I did with a reading of 65. I took it again just to recheck & it was still 65. I always feel horrible upon awakening & always chalked that up to not being a morning person. Once I had some soda, I'm feeling way better. My sister did say to eat some protein, so I will do that today So, any answers to my questions & to if this sounds like true hypoglycemia?? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

brit67chick HB User
Re: home meter accuracy/cause of hypo

Splinterjames,

When I was first diagnosed with RH, my endocrinologist told me he hates giving that diagnosis because there's usually nothing he can do. I'll rephrase that -- sometimes RH just *is* -- and if you drink regular soda, that's probably contributing to it. Regular soda would cause my blood sugar to shoot to 160 and down to 30. And I am NOT pre-diabetic. So I hope that reassures you. You probably do not have a tumor or something nasty, but it's worth a doc appointment to be sure. In my case, a Yeast infection (systemic) worsened my symptoms. There are dozens of reasons why you could have RH, including celiac, surgery, yeast, etc!

Your home meter is probably accurate. Symptoms generally develop below 50mg/dL, but your body could be overly sensitive. I would take readings EVERY time you feel ill, to get an idea of how your body reacts over time.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Closed Thread