It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Can you be hypoglycemic WITHOUT being diabetic?

If you look at most of the medical websites, they say that you can't be hypoglycemic without being diabetic, or at least pre-diabetic. I've had issues with hypoglycemia since I was about 25, but my sugar has never been high when it's been tested. My doctor did a basic GTT, told me I was hypoglycemic and to eat protein with every meal and NEVER EVER have carbs alone. It stood me in good stead for 15 years, but now I'm having issues, especially when I get sick, which I have been a LOT this year, which is another worry in itself. How do I know what 'normal' is and what's a real problem?

Last edited by Kaji; 05-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Can you be hypoglycemic WITHOUT being diabetic?

Hi yeah I have heard hypoglycemia is pred-diabetic also. In the old days at least a blood sugar of 80-120 was considered in the normal range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

I am hypoglycemic and not diabetic. It is genetic and many other people in my family are the same way. After a lot of confusion over my symptoms and couple docs telling me it was all anxiety, I finally was diagnosed with a 5 hour glucose tolerance test. I see an amazing dietician who is also a nurse practitioner. It has made a huge difference in my life. I have a finger stick blood glucose monitor and also recently had a continuous blood monitor on my body for a week. They gave me print outs and discussed my symptoms. Turns out that I have symptoms also when my blood sugar is rapidly decreasing, even though the finger stick number will be within the normal range. There are continuous monitors that can alert you when you're going to go low. That's the next step for me if diet alone doesn't provide results.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
(female)

shersita HB User

I'm hypoglycemic not diabetic or pre-diabetic , I started suffering from this in 2003 after long months periods eating bad *I recall I used to ate like 1 meal in the entire day on daily basis* then suddenly my body like colapsed few months after, and I start to felt very very dizzy and nauseaus I felt like that 3 days went to the hospital one late afternoon and a blood test they done on me, came back with my blood sugar test on 59 *at 7:00 PM* well, in all these years I was getting like 1 or 2 episodes of low blood sugar every 1 or 2 years...last year I remember I bought natural Iodine tablets *From GNC* because I suffer from fibroids and I have read that iodine may help to reduce fibroids size, so I though it wouldn't hurt to take some and since they were naturals pills from GNC. I don't know what relation iodine has with me, but when I started to take 400mg of iodine on daily basis my low blood sugar start to be constant, I was having 1 episode of low blood sugar weekly *when before the iodine pills I have 1 episode like every 2 years* after 5 months of having constant episodes weekly of low blood sugar, I've stopped to drink the iodine pills and bang...now I don't have constant weekly low blood sugar which is weird..iodine supposed to interact with tyroid glands so probably I have some sort of problems with my tyroid glands and don't know it *I know some ppl with hipo tyroid that suffer from low blood sugar*.

Hypoglicemic not always is related to diabetic or pre-diabetic, sometimes other disease could be related, like liver problems, tyroid problems, pancreas problem, etc.

Reply Reply