It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
(male)

perpetual HB User
Feeling extremely weak and tired.

I've been on a reactive hypoglycemia diet which for me means I'm only consuming chicken, boiled eggs, fish, and spinach, and plenty of water. My portions at each meal are enough to make me full, but I'm struggling to perform simple everyday tasks without feeling like I'm about to keel over and die. Eating relieves some of the symptoms, but if I go even a few hours without eating again, I literally feel like I'm about to faint. Even getting up to walk to the kitchen becomes a challenge when I feel like this. I feel this weird tingly weakness throughout my body (mainly in my arms and legs), and begin hyperventilating. I have to lean on my counter just to calm myself and catch my breath again. I also have a mild headache and a pressure in my head (particularly my forehead and eyes) that won't go away.

I think I'm following a very good diet, but I feel like death if I don't consume some simple carbs or anything starchy. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms on this diet? Is this indicative of reactive hypoglycemia?

One more question which has baffled me for some time now. Last spring I went to my gp to tell him about the symptoms I was experiencing. He sent me in for some blood work which meant I had to do a 12 hour overnight fast. I was having low blood sugar symptoms the next day at the hospital, and I even nearly fainted upon having my blood drawn. My blood glucose came normal at 87, but I felt extremely weak and spacey. I have 24/7 brain fog, but it becomes much worse during one of these episodes. Any ideas on what this could be? I should point out that for many years, bread was the main staple of my diet. I ate bread with nearly every meal I had. Is it possible that I'm experiencing some sort of carb withdrawal... candida maybe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

jenn1981 HB User
Re: Feeling extremely weak and tired.

I think your body is just not used to the diet your on, if you went from eating high carbs and bread to a low carb healthy diet its going to take some time for your body to adjust. You may be having a little bit of anxiety as well. Im going through the same thing. I started metformin and changed my diet to low carbs and health food and I am feeling tired and dragging also. But if you stick with it you will start to feel better. Sometimes I think im having low blood sugar and like im going to faint because im worried about it , but then i check it and its normal. I would talk to your doctor more about it just to be sure there isnt something else going on.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Feeling extremely weak and tired.

A hypoglycemia diet shouldn't eliminate carbs, and your diet is so restrictive, no wonder you feel bad. You need to eat healthy carbs in moderation, like grains and fruits and veges, but avoid excess sugary foods that can trigger an excess insulin release. 3 meals and 3 snacks, all containing protein, will keep your BS stable during the day. You should basically eat 6 times a day, but stay away from refined carbs like white sugary products, white breads and flour products, and stick to whole grains, whole foods. So pancakes loaded with syrup, candy, cookies, sodas, pie, cake, excess bread, pasta, etc could get you into trouble. That doesn't mean you can't eat bread or pasta, just make it whole grain and in moderation, coupled with protein. Keep snacks with you and some glucose tablets in case your sugar drops. They are OTC at all drugstores.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

Dashia HB User
Smile Re: Feeling extremely weak and tired.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 on April 17th ,2013. I switched to a low-carb diet and ate only whole grains and vegetables, and I experience the same symptoms that you were having; I did a little research and found out that I was experiencing false hypoglycemia. It took a few weeks for my body to adjust to the normal blood glucose level of 70-100mg/dl before meals. Its been 3 months since I have been diagnosed with diabetes , but I still experience false hypoglycemia occasionally.

Reply Reply