It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

jctaylor4321 HB User
Reactive Hypoglycemia in child

My 8 yr old son has been experiencing episodes of weakness for about four months now. It usually occurs after a meal. For instance, he will eat a good breakfast and about 10:30 at school (PE time) he will feel weak and starving. This will also occur after lunch at recess. I have witnessed these episodes and it's not pretty. He gets really tired and clammy. He feels weak and has to lay down. He also says he is starving. I took him to his doctor who performed bloodtest to check sugar level, kidney and liver function, and so on. All came back normal. He didn't do any special sugar tests such as fasting. Just the one time test. He says it's most likely reactive hypoglycemia that must be controlled with diet. My question is this, could something else be going on? Should I be concerned about any longterm damage? Should more specialized tests be performed? He is a very active child and I don't want this to hold him back. It's also to the point now where I send snacks to his baseball practices in fear of him having an episode. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Reply