It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

lwilker HB User
Blood Sugar Level Questions

I've been testing my blood sugar for 4 days now:

My fasting glucose level for the last 4 days:

83, 101, 88, 71 Should these numbers vary this much?

My doctor told me to monitor my blood sugar 5 min, 30 min, 90 min, and 120 min.

These following days show readings following one afternoon meal.

Day 1

116 - 5 min
95 - 30 min
77 - 90 min
Fell Asleep, Did not get 120 min reading.

Day 2

90 - 5 min
129 - 30 min
98 - 90 min
94 - 120 min

Day 3

85 - 5 min
96 - 30 min
82 - 90 min
62 - 120 min

Day 4

103 - 5 min
101 - 30 min
95 - 90 min
90 - 120 min

My questions are, what/s a normal blood sugar level after eating, my numbers seem to be low. Second, numbers of 60's and 70's are those normal, or low?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

Nu2This HB User
Re: Blood Sugar Level Questions

I'm not sure what type of food you ingested, but these numbers do appear to be low. (For example, starchy foods such as potatoes, corn, bread, cereal, etc. cause the blood sugar to elevate since starch turns to glucose.) Normal fasting blood sugar range is usually 70-110 so it seems your results after eating should be higher, especially after 30 minutes. As for the different fasting numbers you have had - yes they can vary. It all depends on what and when you last ate. The longer you go without eating, the lower the blood sugar can go. Hope this was a little helpful. Follow-up with your doctor and take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

lwilker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2This View Post
I'm not sure what type of food you ingested, but these numbers do appear to be low. (For example, starchy foods such as potatoes, corn, bread, cereal, etc. cause the blood sugar to elevate since starch turns to glucose.) Normal fasting blood sugar range is usually 70-110 so it seems your results after eating should be higher, especially after 30 minutes. As for the different fasting numbers you have had - yes they can vary. It all depends on what and when you last ate. The longer you go without eating, the lower the blood sugar can go. Hope this was a little helpful. Follow-up with your doctor and take care.
Meals I ate:

Day 1 : BLT chips and side salad
Day 2 : Turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cake
Day 3 : Beef Tenderloin, vegetables, potatoes, rice
Day 4 : Steak tacos

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

Nu2This HB User

Seems to me that your diet was pretty balanced on those meals, but especially on Day 3I would have expected your blood sugar to be higher since you ate 2 starches (potatoes and rice). I am hypoglycemic also - mostly due to having no appetite and having to pretty much force myself to eat anything. When my blood sugar gets low (in the 50 to 80 range for me), then I become nauseated and have to eat something to get the sugar back up for a while. At least my stomach gives me a warning! And even wakes me up in the night if sugar gets too low, which most nights it's 3 to 4 times. Keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
(male)

TT15 HB User

I have the same issue with blood sugar getting low. Not sure what the cause is but sometimes only 2-3 hours after a decent meal I will get down in the 70s. Once I get in the low 70s I feel weak and just not good in general and even feel like I might pass out at times. Doctor says I am pre diabetic but all of my numbers are below the what the blood work shows as pre-diabetic.

I thought diabetics had trouble with high blood sugar. I have trouble with it getting too low. Wish I had some answers because having low blood sugar is not pleasant at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
(female)

Azurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB UserAzurah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT15 View Post
I have the same issue with blood sugar getting low. Not sure what the cause is but sometimes only 2-3 hours after a decent meal I will get down in the 70s. Once I get in the low 70s I feel weak and just not good in general and even feel like I might pass out at times. Doctor says I am pre diabetic but all of my numbers are below the what the blood work shows as pre-diabetic.

I thought diabetics had trouble with high blood sugar. I have trouble with it getting too low. Wish I had some answers because having low blood sugar is not pleasant at all.
Lots of pre-diabetics and type 2 diabetics have problems with reactive hypos in the beginning. Our pancreas can still make lots of insulin, but there may be signaling problems, plus we are often insulin resistant which causes our pancreas to go into over-drive and produce more insulin to get the BG down eventually leading to hypos.

As I understand it, there are two phases of insulin release after meals. The first phase occurs when we start eating and the second phase occurs when our blood sugars start rising about 10-20 minutes after we start eating. I've often heard it said that type 2 diabetics have impaired phase 1 insulin response. Then our phase 2 response has to over-compensate to try and get BG down.

I saw someone explain it this way once: insulin resistance->hyperglycemia->hyperinsulinemia->reactive hypo

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
(male)

TT15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurah View Post
Lots of pre-diabetics and type 2 diabetics have problems with reactive hypos in the beginning. Our pancreas can still make lots of insulin, but there may be signaling problems, plus we are often insulin resistant which causes our pancreas to go into over-drive and produce more insulin to get the BG down eventually leading to hypos.

As I understand it, there are two phases of insulin release after meals. The first phase occurs when we start eating and the second phase occurs when our blood sugars start rising about 10-20 minutes after we start eating. I've often heard it said that type 2 diabetics have impaired phase 1 insulin response. Then our phase 2 response has to over-compensate to try and get BG down.

I saw someone explain it this way once: insulin resistance->hyperglycemia->hyperinsulinemia->reactive hypo
I've been doing some reading and it seems a person can have reactive hypoglycemia and it doesn't mean you will be diabetic. I'm not sure what to think but all I know is my BS never gets high. Ever. Think 140ish is the highest I have ever seen.

Reply Reply

Tags
blood sugar, fasting blood sugar, reading