It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
(male)

seagrades HB User
Hypoglycemia & Violence

Violence during low blood sugar spells is rare among hypoglycemics, but I am the husband of one. From what I've read online, most people will get dizzy, their hands will get shakey, and they will lose their memory. My wife experiences these things, but a couple of times a month she will go into an all out violent outrage while her blood sugar is low. I've read online about people who are abusive to their spouse during a low blood sugar episode. It's rare but violence CAN be caused by low blood sugar! I've been reassured by several different doctors.

Low blood sugar levels affect the brain and can turn you into a TOTALLY different person.

I have been, punched, slapped, strangled, biten, I have had my clothes ripped, and I have had various large objects thrown at me, I have even seen her pull out a loaded gun a threaten to kill me. Then there's the emotional part of it. I've been screamed at, cussed at, I've been called some very nasty things I dare not repeat here. I have heard some terrible things coming from the mouth of the woman I love more than anything. I know it's her low blood sugar, but sometimes I can't help but believe that there's a small piece of truth in the things she says.

I recently asked a local police officer what the best thing for me to do when she gets violent. He told me to hold her down and force a glucose pill or gel in her mouth. I laughed out loud. She's not a big woman, she's lighter than I am, but any of you guys who have seen a cat fight know that you do NOT want to be involved with an angry, violent woman. Also, she is very strong when she needs to be. I have watched her throw a 300 pound black belt over her shoulder. I once tried to constrain her and force feed her a glucose pill while her blood sugar was low. Things got so crazy that she ended up with a black eye. She then called the police and told them I was abusing her. Since I only had a few bad fingernail scratches, I was arrested. About an hour later I was staring at the inside of a jail cell at the local police station. Thank goodness my wife's blood sugar got better quickly and bailed me out before the end of the day. I don't have any kind of criminal record whatsoever. I love my wife more than anyone in the world and I would NEVER intentionally hurt her. I have sworn to never touch her again when this happens for fear of hurting her.

I have a great deal of sympathy for hypoglycemics and what they have to go through. I also have a great deal of sympathy for their spouses. It is an emotionally traumatizing thing to deal with. Is there anyone out there who has had some experience with this? I have a great support group at church but they don't seem to understand the situation. They seem to treat us differently after I got arrested. More than anything, I am worried about my wife's health and safety. She has seizures quite often. I'm also worried about the 12 week old baby inside of her. Doctors have given us plenty of tips on how to avoid low blood sugar problems. What I want to know is what to do when it inevitablty happens. There are many times when she gets so mad that she will refuse to do anything for herself. Is there anyone out there who experiences something like this who can offer some advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Hypoglycemia & Violence

Greetings! I don't think I have to tell you that your life is at risk with her and if you were a woman I would be telling you to get out quick. Of course everyone makes their own choices and health care choices in life and is responsible for their own healthcare. Her life is at risk from a disease.

A diet change might be in order to help keep blood sugar levels stable. Sometimes sweets or juices are indulged by some people with disastrous results. It has been said that some foods with fats and starches are released more slowly. Good amounts of things with fruits, grains, nuts vegetables may help the pancreas with the needed enzymes and minerals to regulate sugar properly. Food should be chewed very slowly because the brain regulates how much insulin is put out partly based on what is in the mouth and time is a factor in how long it is in the mouth.

A professional nutritionist could be seen. It seems to me that nowdays snacking is recommended to keep blood sugar stable but to me at least this ruins a stomach because it requires constant digestion and the stomach has no time to rest and wears out causing subsequent stomach pain and more problems with digesting food.

Snacking may causes a person to gain weight with of course resultant health problems connected to it. On the other hand if no snacking is done and the sugar is not watched and it goes to far brain damage can happen.

The sugar should be watched after meals to see what is happening to it. It is said that even a very small amount of peanut butter under the tongue can help a hypoglycemic episode. A sandwich half for a snack or crackers are said to be better than cake or ice cream if a snack must be chosen. The sweet sugars or juices enter the body and cause a sharp upward leap in sugar followed by a sharper downturn in sugar and it makes it go lower than before.

A deaf person with a low sugar may have a voice change as sugar lowers because they cannot hear the change in the voice. A hearing person who is alert may hear the change in time to help the deaf person with it. Irritation with low sugar is common especially the lower the sugar gets and there may also be sweating, the eyes may glaze over a bit and confusion may be present or irritated expression as a sign. A symptom might be a headache or feeling jittery.

I would study the disease and learn as much as possible about the body and its workings. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 02-25-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: deletion

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Feeling angry etc during a hypo is fairly common, my theory is it may be your body's way of becoming aggressive enough to fight for a share of food in a survival sense. I have to admit though, whenever I have had hypos my brain just shut down and I would have trouble telling you my name or even talking or understanding what someone around me was saying, and as for becoming violent, my body felt like jello and just having the energy to eat something was hard so I'm surprised your wife could be this violent and coherent during a severe hypo which is when you have no control. I honestly think if she is this energetic and coherent (the fact she can yell and call your names) she is still capable of reasoning enough to go and eat. .

Last edited by captjane; 03-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
(female)

Kittykali HB User

Hi seagrades,

While I am not a person with diabetes, I have many friends that do. I think your wife needs to see an endocrinologist immediately. She has a condition know as hypoglycemic unawareness. It is not as uncommon as some think and is often a result of many reoccurring episodes of hypoglycemia especially in a person with type 1 diabetes. Now that your wife is pregnant she will need even tighter glycemic control to reduce the risk of complications for both mom & baby. The very best way to reduce the hypo events while obtaining tight glucose control w/o extreme BG variability is for her to use an insulin pump ( this is assuming she takes insulin?) along with a continuous glucose monitor that can give her a blood glucose reading every 5 min. & be programed to give prdictive alarms for hypos. A lot of education and training goes along with this advanced technology - without it they are just another expensive tool.
Please have your OB-GYN consult an endocrinologist and ADA diabetes education team ASAP.
I hope that things will improve for you both. Best of luck. I know your job is frustrating and even scary at times but your wife really needs your help and support.

Reply Reply