It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #1

Celtictigress52 HB User
Exclamation No Insurance- I may need a hysterectomy

Does anyone know the cost of a hysterectomy? I have no insurance and may need one. I am currently working through a Temp to Hire service. I do NOT want to go on welfare for several reasons. I have been on welfare and it is a big hassle. I would rather work but if you work then welfare says you make too much, etc. yada yada so on
Also you have to take off time for work to go talk to the social workers who could care less about your siuation.
Well anyway I really don't know what I am going to do.
Thanks for reading even if you can't help.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
I think this country's health care system is ridiculous. I've been without health insurance and it sucks BIG TIME! My husband was working also, and his company didn't provide it and we couldn't afford to buy it.

I went to the health clinic for my pregnancies. Perhaps you can call them and explain your situation and see if they can lead you in the right direction.

I'm so digusted about this subject. The richest country in the world can't provide health coverage for all it's citizens.

My heart goes out to you celtictigress. I think when I was in the hospital having my babies my file was marked with a big~ No insurance label~ and I feel I didn't get the same treatmeant as someone with insurance.

This burns me up!!! You're working you deserve some help.

Renee (a person that wanted Hillary's healthcare plan)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
My first question would be why do you need the hysterectomy? Most conditions can be treated without a hysterectomy these days which is why I ask. Also my question for those with no insurance is how do you access the interenet? If you are accessing the internet at home via computer then you are paying out for internet service and I am wondering if the money you spend on interent service would be better spent towards health insurance? You might also want to look and see you if your state offers low cost insurance to people who don't make enough to be covered with regular insurance. Our state has such a program. Your other option is to check into a free/low cost women's health clinic near you. Check your yellow pages or call your county officials to find out where the nearest one is.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
You know you're right mlgable~

I did some research and found that you are right. The crummy medical plan was only 8,000 a year but for a mere 19.99 a month more, she could've got a better one.

Geesh, 19.00/month wouldn't make a dent towards a medical insurance. Maybe tigress's money is better spent looking for alternatives via the internet @home while in pain.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif to you mlgable, BLAH!

Old 05-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #5

Celtictigress52 HB User
Arrow

Well I sure didn't mean to start anything. But for the record- I don't smoke and I don't drink. My son pays for the Internet service. I know there are ways and things I could cut back on. I don't know yet what I may have to do about insurance since I have a pre-existing condition.
Why do I think I may need a hysterectomy? Because I've had breast cancer which I have been in remission for 8 years.
And from the "symtoms" or whatever you would call it. I am quite sure I have edometrial or uterine cancer. I am still waiting to hear back from my doctor about the biopsy I had done last week.
I am not in favor of socialized medicine, but do believe something needs to change with the way health care is now. Just how I am not really sure.
I do believe Hillaries socialized medicine plan would really ruin everything though. For one thing you would NOT be allowed to choose your own doctor. Waits for tests would be much longer also as they are in Canada and other places which already have socialized medicine.
Well at any rate. I will sell off as much of my belongings as I can if I really need to-to raise the money. I will think of something. If worse comes to worse- I guess I'll just do without the surgery and make plans to die. At least then I won't have to worry about it all anymore. The only thing left to worry about then, is how my loved ones will deal with life without me. Whatever. I guess I should wait and see what my doctor tells me and go from there.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Celtic,please dont be so down about this. Mlgable does mean well and sometimes things on the boards come across in the wrong way. I have fallen into that myself.
Also where there is a will there is a way. I dont know how old you are or your son but here is an idea to think of. If your son is old enough and has a decent job why not look into arranging to become his dependant and see if his insurance will cover you. I know it sounds odd but some insurances will cover parents if they are considered a dependant. The reason I know is the military insurance can be used that way. As long as the child is taking care of the parent such as the parent living with the child and so on they can be claimed on their insurance.
ANother little twist is if it hasnt been treated yet some wont count it as a pre-existing condition. Also you can fudge a bit and get a different doctor after you have insurance and see if can be considered a new condition in which the doctor has just discovered.
Also Mlgable brings up antoehr good point of looking into free or low cost women's clinics in you area. It is worth a shot. Or if you can talk to some o fyour local hospitals and see if they have low cost or payments in which you could work with them on.
I know it doesnt sound like fun but there are options it is just a matter of searching for them.
You can also talk to yoru doctor and see what he has to say. He might have some ideas on where you can look for assitance.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 05-20-2003, 07:59 PM   #7

Celtictigress52 HB User
Thanks
I am going to talk with my doctor and see what she says. Also will be talking to friends and others who may know what I should do.
As for me becoming a dependent of my son. That's not likely to happen. He only works part time at the library and doesn't seem to inclined to look for a full part better paying job. He's very imature for his age. Even if he did get a better paying full time job it would be awhile before he got any insurance.
At any rate I don't think it would work out.
Well right now I am just trying not to go crazy waiting for the results of the biopsy.
More later. Thanks

Old 06-30-2003, 11:53 PM   #8

mimireco2 HB User
In California, there is something called, I believe it was MIS or something like that. It is for emergency medical attention needed for someone without insurance. It will allow six months coverage free from the county. I had this one when I had no insurance and stepped into a free medical clinic with chest pains. Or if you walk into a hospital and ask about it, explaining the situation, I am sure they will direct you to the right forms to fill out. I own a home etc. and they still gave it to me. It cost me nothing through all the testing etc.
Also, BlueCross offers medical plans with $10 co-pay. You can pay monthly. I now have the HMO Saver plan. I am 58 years old, so my premeium is higher than A YOUNGER PERSON. However, at $296 a month, it is well worth it. It pays 100% for emergency hospitalization, but it does have a $1,500 deductable for non-emergency. For a younger person, the rates are much lower. You pay nearly nothing each time you see a doctor, and most primary doctors will refer you if there is a particular doctor you want to see. Most the time, doctors give me prescriptions if needed so I don't have to buy, If I ask.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Celtic, I know you don't want to depend on the system, but temporary medicaid could also help you out. If it is considered an emergency hysterectomy insurance will not be a factor. They will do the surgery, but expect you to pay. That's when you apply for medicaid. It will cover the surgery and up to 2-3 months post surgery. Use this as a last option if you choose to. Just try not to stress out right now. I will pray that things will fall into place for you!!

To those that were inconciderate to this post maybe your opinions should be kept to yourself. Until you know all the facts about someone's situation you shouldn't be so quick to judge!! Let God do that...since it's his job, NOT yours'.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #10

crystaleyes21 HB User
Its not that you can not choose your healthcare provider, you can only choose from the list that will accept your healthcare plan, so at least you do have a choice in that. Many places will help you if you notify them of our money situation. Don't be proud, tell them you can not pay, and you may need help paying in the future, and they will look up the best healthcare plan for you. I hope you the best, good luck !!~~Heather

------------------
~~Never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up~~

Old 07-02-2003, 03:14 AM   #11
Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
Celetigrass,
I am an avid reader and I can tell you the days of people having hysterectomies for a lot of things are over. Many cases people do not need them, even though the doc tells you do. Find out what exactly you have, so a lot of research thru the internet. Check alternative medicine websites. Dr. Andrew Weil is a very respected M.D. that also used "integrative medicine", look at his site. My sister has a fibroid tumor and her doctor wanted to do surgery and she did not, after doing research, found that most fibroids do not need surgery. But there are plenty of cut "happy doctors" that will tell you so. Do YOUR research first and foremost And get a second opinion. All docs don't think the same way.

Closed Thread