It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

saldovia HB User
Question Hysterectomy and thyroid

Is there a higher case of women after hysterectomies developing thyroid problems?

Old 11-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldovia
Is there a higher case of women after hysterectomies developing thyroid problems?
Interesting.I'm going to have to investigate this. I think there is a link there since the ovaries are a part of the endocrine system just as the thyroid is. I'm really curious now because my mom and my sister both had a hysterectomy. My sister was just 36. She had endometriosis too which I read somewhere is an autoimmune disease just as Hashis and Graves is.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

saldovia HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
Interesting.I'm going to have to investigate this. I think there is a link there since the ovaries are a part of the endocrine system just as the thyroid is. I'm really curious now because my mom and my sister both had a hysterectomy. My sister was just 36. She had endometriosis too which I read somewhere is an autoimmune disease just as Hashis and Graves is.
Barb
If you find something out let me know. I had my hyst almost 2 years ago when I was 35 it seems that I had estrogen dominance which seems to be related to low thyroid. I did find on the net last night that the risk of thyroid cancer is doubled with women that have hysterectomies. Thats pretty high. Plus on the web site hyster-sisters alot of women seem to have low thyroid after they have their hyst is it do to estrogen replacement? Her is a quote I found on the web last night it is very interesting to all of the women that are going to have hysterectomies or that all ready have and are having alot of weird problems.

"To little thyroid production may cause increased prolactin levels and persistant estrogen stimulation"

Old 11-19-2003, 07:41 PM   #4

pippa84 HB User
Which came first the chicken or the egg???? I am convinced that all of the problems that led to
my hystorectomy where due to hypothyroidism. Were any of your thryroids checked prior to
your hystorectomy???? Mine was not. I know that I became hypothyroid and then all my other
problems began. No one checked my thryroid!!! At that time I knew nothing about it. So, I had
the total hystorectomy and they said after that I had a terrible case of endriometriosis My
surgery took longer than expected because there was so much scar tissue from my ovaries
actually growing to my abdomin wall every month. Then with my period they would let go
with the endriometrial material sluffing off. Yes, with out a doubt this is all related. I fully
believe that if my thyroid problem had been addressed when it should have been, all the other
stuff wouldn't have happened. I also had ovarian cysts. Estrogen binds thyroid. If your estrogen
levels are too high the thyroid that your body produces can't be used, because the estrogen binds
with it and won't allow your body to utilize it. If you are taking estrogen replacement with
thyroid meds, and then stop taking estrogen you should see a difference and probably need less
thyroid meds. Doctors really don't know a lot about what they are doing when it comes to the
endrocrine system other than diabeties. Diabetics are in danger of losing thier lives over it.
Because of that there has been a lot of research. Did you know that in the late 1800's flouride
was used to treat hyperthyroidism. It was very effective. The quanities used to dose people
were lower than in some water supplies in the United States. Stop and think about that when
you read about the rising numbers of people that have thyroid problems!!!!??? Flouride is in
our drinking water! Did any of you have flouride treatments at your dentist. I am 55
years old. When flouride was first discovered to stop tooth decay they came to our
elementary schools and did the flouride treatments right there at school. You know there have
been wacko's that spout of consipracy theories to make the masses docile to control them.
Well, hypothyroid is docile. I am not suggesting that it is a conspiracy, but they know this
about flouride yet they continue to put it in our drinking water! The logic is, there is more
good than harm. Well, they ought to talk to one of us!!!! I am sorry I didn't mean to carry
on so. Just when I think that I have accepted the differences that I have had to accept in
myself because of hypothyroidism, I realize that I am still angry. I am on Armour now and
am feeling better than I have in 15 years. I am still fighting with my doctor over getting
my tsh down to an acceptable level. She thinks 5 is good. The years of synthetics thinking
that that was the best that I could do for myself. The wieght gain and not being able to lose.
They have a better medicine, they are now learning that tsh's should be lower. They are
putting something in our water supply that causes this to happen to people! Yes, I am mad!
Sorry, I didn't mean to carry on so.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:02 PM   #5

kixlonron89 HB User
I wonder if that is where I am heading. I already am hypo. I started having problems with my menstrual cycle in Feb this year and dx hypo in July. Now I am having late periods. They are real faint then sometimes I will have a reg day then spot again. It doesn't make any sense since I have always been regular. My husband and I want another child and I am now wondering if we should start now before it is too late. I am 31 yrs old and we have 2 young children. I am at least 5 days late now. I am spotting but not enough to get on a pad, just when I wipe. I am calling my ob/gyn tomorrow and hopefully he can see me right away. If any of you can tell me what you experienced before you came to this point I would really appreciate your story. Maybe it can help me make the right decision and take the right route in health care. Thank You.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:53 AM   #6
(female)

stardust39 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy and thyroid

[WOW I really never thought about this I had my hystorectomy this past March.. I am 39...

Old 11-22-2003, 11:03 PM   #7

Sandy Starr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixlonron89
I wonder if that is where I am heading. I already am hypo. I started having problems with my menstrual cycle in Feb this year and dx hypo in July. Now I am having late periods. They are real faint then sometimes I will have a reg day then spot again. It doesn't make any sense since I have always been regular. My husband and I want another child and I am now wondering if we should start now before it is too late. I am 31 yrs old and we have 2 young children. I am at least 5 days late now. I am spotting but not enough to get on a pad, just when I wipe. I am calling my ob/gyn tomorrow and hopefully he can see me right away. If any of you can tell me what you experienced before you came to this point I would really appreciate your story. Maybe it can help me make the right decision and take the right route in health care. Thank You.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1980. I was lucky, I had a doctor who cared about your health and how you felt. He increased my doseage slowly until I felt fine again. Unfortunately, in 1994 he retired. I too ended up with endometreosis. I had to have a full hysterectomy in 1996. I felt great afterwards. But approximately six months later, my troubles began Big Time. Doctors all wanted to lower my thyroid dose so that my levels fell within the chart. Screw the Chart. Not everone is the same. No one would listen to me. One endochronologist even went so far as to say that "some people think they have a thyroid problem but they really don't." What a quack! Doctors kept lowering my thyroid prescriptions. I couldn't get it refilled with a prescription. I was trapped. I had 3 sinus infections in four months. I had gastrointestinal problems. My hair was getting so dry it was breaking off. My eyebrows were falling out. My skin was drying so fast on my face, I had wrinkles forming overnight. My eye glass prescription doubled. And yes, I kept gaining weight. My blood pressure started going up, as well as my colestrol. I gained three dress sizes in one year. Then I started getting depressed. Doctors kept insisting that all of my problems (symptoms) couldn't be related to my thyroid. I searched the internet for months. I finally found a web site that spoke about a doctor by the name of Broda Barnes. What a gem. This doctor did studies and wrote books about treating the symptoms and not the numbers (on the chart). Finally, I knew I wasn't crazy. In one of the links, I found a list of doctors in the U.S. that treat the symptoms and not the numbers. I now travel a very long distance (which I don't mind) to see the same doctor that my mom and sister are also going to. When I told him all of my problems started when my thyroid was lowered, he fully agreed. I told him I felt like I was dying of a slow death, he replied that I was. If your body goes without the proper dose of thyroid for YOUR body, eventually your organs will start shutting down. Thyroid is very important in order to keep your entire body healthy. I am now on Synthroid which I dissolve it under the tongue. This way, it goes directly into the blood stream and you get an even dose each time. Doctors that go by the chart do so because they don't know very much about the thyroid. Don't let them intimidate you. Search the internet and find the right doctor. It means a long and healthy life. Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #8

luvwindnhair HB User

hmmm...interesting post. I had a hysterectomy 3 yrs ago to heavy periods. More like hemorraging. But after that I gained weight and felt "Hypo" with out even knowing I was. I went like that for 3 yrs, and just got dx with Hypo. I feel so much better, but I wonder now if I had done meds before the hysterectomy, would I still have it? (The organ, and the disease! ) Hmmm, I'd bet big bucks that its all related. I feel great now, and finally loosing weight!
Cindy

Closed Thread