It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Sex After Hysterectomy

I'm planning on having a hysterectomy...my uterus & cervix will be removed, but I am keeping my ovaries (so I won't go into early menopause or have to take any hormones)

For any of you women who've had a hysterectomy, is sex different (feeling) after having a hysterectomy? Can you still have orgasms? Pros & cons of all this appreciated in advance! Thanks!

Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 PM   #2

ChestOut HB User
Re: Sex After Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robste
I'm planning on having a hysterectomy...my uterus & cervix will be removed, but I am keeping my ovaries (so I won't go into early menopause or have to take any hormones)

For any of you women who've had a hysterectomy, is sex different (feeling) after having a hysterectomy? Can you still have orgasms? Pros & cons of all this appreciated in advance! Thanks!

Just a question. Is it necessary to remove your cervix?

My friend kept her cervix and ovaries and she tells me sex is the best since her surgery.

In fact she longs for sex daily.

It is a whole new joyous, painfree world for her.
H=Happens

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2004, 05:29 AM   #3

chelespiglets HB User
Wink Re: Sex After Hysterectomy

Quote:

Hi I had a hyst over a year ago, will be 2 years this Aug. I had everything removed by abdominal surgery. I am 36, and have 6 children. I have no problems with orgasms. They are better now if you ask me. I still have internal and external orgasms and I do not have a cervix anymore, like I say I am an it with **** . I was worried about sex after the surgery. But if you have a good doctor then you have nothing to worry about. If you had orgasms before then you should have them after. I am on hormones (pills), and I found that if I use a lot of lubrication then all is fine, and then after sex then I put on a little estrogen cream down there to and that helps everything stay young. But you will find what works for you, everyone is different.

Good luck and take care Chele'

Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

tinkers HB User

My SIL had one. She says sex is better because she isn't hurting anymore. She kept only 1 ovary. She says that her sex drive is about the same.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Why are you having the cervix removed? Is it really necessary to remove it?

Old 03-19-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran

robste HB User

When I discussed my options with my gynocologist, he told me that there's no reason to keep my cervix, that it really has no purpose...so, when doing the hysterectomy, he would remove my uterus & cervix, but I would keep my ovaries.

Wow, from what ya'll posted, it sounds like sex is better after a hysterectomy! Thanks for the replys.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Quote:
he told me that there's no reason to keep my cervix, that it really has no purpose...
How 'bout so that the shape and length of your vagina isn't changed? How about because it is debate on what role the cervix plays in orgasm and sexual function (along with the uterus) so why take it out if there isn't a need?

Sure, sex might sound better because the pain and discomfort might be gone (if that's what the surgury was for), but let's not get carried away. Do some investigating before you accept that the cervix so disposable. If your Dr can tell you EXACTLY what roles the cervix and uterus play in sexual response and orgasm, and what you may be losing with the removal of each, I wouldn't accept his position that it "has no purpose". I'd actually be quite interested in hearing what he has to say.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:01 PM   #8

chelespiglets HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
How 'bout so that the shape and length of your vagina isn't changed? How about because it is debate on what role the cervix plays in orgasm and sexual function (along with the uterus) so why take it out if there isn't a need?

Sure, sex might sound better because the pain and discomfort might be gone (if that's what the surgury was for), but let's not get carried away. Do some investigating before you accept that the cervix so disposable. If your Dr can tell you EXACTLY what roles the cervix and uterus play in sexual response and orgasm, and what you may be losing with the removal of each, I wouldn't accept his position that it "has no purpose". I'd actually be quite interested in hearing what he has to say.
Sorry I should have been more informative with my first response.
I think that Thisby is right, you need to check out all options first. I asked to keep my cervix, but because of cervical cancer that runs bad in my family and I had signs of it years ago, I really had no choice. But if you have the choice you need to check out all options before you make your mind up. Yes, sex is better, but there are other things that are not better after a hyst. You have to do a lot of research before you go ahead with the surgery. The doctors do not tell you everything. Everything that we have has a purpose of some sort, So ladies never have an internal orgasms again, because they made the vagina smaller and well lets put it this way they can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. Thank the Good Lord I had a very good doctor, and she was very careful when she took the cervix out and closed the opening where the cervix was. I can't tell that it is gone the nerves are back, but some ladies lose all their feelings. Remember this most of all, Everyone is Different. Hyst's should be the LAST resort to anything. You cannot get back what they take out. There also is a possibility that your ovaries even though you keep them could shut down after the hyst and later they would have to be removed, (not saying this always happens, but it could)

Let me ask you this if you don't mind, Why are they wanting to give you a hyst anyway? How old are? Are you done having children?

I know of some good sights that you could go and get more info if you would like them.

Good luck and Many Blessings Chele'

Old 03-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran

robste HB User

Chele, the reason I'm having a hysterectomy is because I'm anemic, have heavy periods, and also four fibroids. Any other cause of my anemia has been ruled out (thru all sorts of medical tests), and I don't want to be anemic anymore. I've tried low dose birth control pills to try to lighten up my periods, but my period (with the b/c pills) now seems to last 10 days each month, even though it is lighter. And, I really don't like taking birth control pills, especially because I have a family history of breast cancer.

I was going to have a uterine ablation, but when my dr. did a D&C and then the hysteroscopy, the scope showed that one of my fibroids is blocking my uterus. Because of where my fibroids are located, and the possibility of bleeding too much, they cannot be removed. (I've gotten a second opinion on this one)

I do not want to take Lupron injections (to try to shrink the fibroids), because it's so powerful, it would send me into immediate menopause, and most of all....when you stop taking it, the fibroids can grow back again. Also, you can only take it for a few months, because it can cause you have brittle bones.

I am 44 years old. I don't have any children, and was not planning on having children...at least through giving birth. My husband and I are planning on adopting a child in a year or two.

If I were a lot closer to menopause and not anemic, I would probably not do anything but wait and see if the fibroids shrink on their own when I hit menopause. But, since I'm only 44, menopause could be 7 or 8 years away.

Upon talking to my doctor and discussing this with my husband, I've decided that this is probably the best thing for me to do. My doctor only gave me my options...he is usually very conservative when it comes to treatment/procedures of any kind, and he did not recommend that I have a hysterectomy over other options...he let me make my own decision.

I will question him more on keeping vs. getting rid of my cervix...thanks to all for telling me what I should ask the dr. -Robin

Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 PM   #10

chelespiglets HB User

Hi Robin,

I am glad to hear that you have thought about this. It is a life moment. (at least for me) You have to do what you feel is best for YOU and no one can tell you anything different. It is your body. I know alot of people were upset that I went a head with the surgery. I had it for other reasons. You know how lady problems go . But for me it was the best thing at the time, and still is. Having a hyst is good and bad, but with everything in life you have good and bad, and you have to weigh everything. If this is what you and your DH feel is best and your doctor feels it is best then all my prayers are with you, and with your doctors hands. I understand how you feel in alot of ways. I did not have fibroids but had other problems.

Don't worry to much about the sex. It is scary the first time and maybe the first few times. I know I was scared and so was my dh. The unknown can be very scary. But after a few times it was like nothing was different, except to stop and lube up LOL But you and your dh will find what works for you. Try not to stress over it to much. Your health is more important right now.

I think it is great that you are thinking of adoption. There are alot of children that need homes. It sounds like you have your head on straight, and know what you want. So you take care and keep us informed on how your doing.

Best of luck to you and your DH and I pray that all goes well for you.
Blessings, Chele'

Quote:
Chele, the reason I'm having a hysterectomy is because I'm anemic, have heavy periods, and also four fibroids. Any other cause of my anemia has been ruled out (thru all sorts of medical tests), and I don't want to be anemic anymore. I've tried low dose birth control pills to try to lighten up my periods, but my period (with the b/c pills) now seems to last 10 days each month, even though it is lighter. And, I really don't like taking birth control pills, especially because I have a family history of breast cancer.

I was going to have a uterine ablation, but when my dr. did a D&C and then the hysteroscopy, the scope showed that one of my fibroids is blocking my uterus. Because of where my fibroids are located, and the possibility of bleeding too much, they cannot be removed. (I've gotten a second opinion on this one)

I do not want to take Lupron injections (to try to shrink the fibroids), because it's so powerful, it would send me into immediate menopause, and most of all....when you stop taking it, the fibroids can grow back again. Also, you can only take it for a few months, because it can cause you have brittle bones.

I am 44 years old. I don't have any children, and was not planning on having children...at least through giving birth. My husband and I are planning on adopting a child in a year or two.

If I were a lot closer to menopause and not anemic, I would probably not do anything but wait and see if the fibroids shrink on their own when I hit menopause. But, since I'm only 44, menopause could be 7 or 8 years away.

Upon talking to my doctor and discussing this with my husband, I've decided that this is probably the best thing for me to do. My doctor only gave me my options...he is usually very conservative when it comes to treatment/procedures of any kind, and he did not recommend that I have a hysterectomy over other options...he let me make my own decision.

I will question him more on keeping vs. getting rid of my cervix...thanks to all for telling me what I should ask the dr. -Robin

Last edited by chelespiglets; 03-20-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:08 PM   #11
Inactive

Karla HB User

I had a complete hysterectomy. I had severe endometriosis. My dr never mentioned any alternatives like keeping an overy or my cervix etc. He just said it all had to go and i said ok. What a mistake! I regret not keeping my cervix. I have not been able to have an vaginal orgasm since it was taken out 4 years ago. I never realized how much significance my husband banging against it or ejaculating against it turned me on. Now I have no recourse and am forever missing out and have to rely on external/oral stimulation to orgasm.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

The cervix also helps to hold up the pelvic region and you could experience a prolapse without it as well as loss of bladder control. Unless you're having a vaginal hysterectomy you should be able to keep your cervix........it is actually a part of the uterus (picture an upside down water bottle) and they can remove the upper half of the uterus but keep the cervix because it has it's own blood supply. If you have no history of cervical cancer and if there is no suspicion of disease in the cervix (such as endo) than there is no good medical reason to get rid of it........your periods will end without a uterus in either case.

Closed Thread