It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 04:24 AM   #1
(female)

shmal HB User
What to expect post hysterectomy,cystocele & rectocele repair?

If anyone could offer some info re these three procedures I'd be very grateful.I'm a 34 yr old, married ,mother of 2 and am planing for these surgeries.I'm very nervous and not 100% sure what to expect.Was wondering about recovery time(planning vag hyst.),intimacy and everything else.Also the dr. has suggested a procedure called TVTO for the sling portion of the cystocele, does anyone know exactly what this is and how it works?Thank you....

Old 10-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #2

mperrin HB User
Re: What to expect post hysterectomy,cystocele & rectocele repair?

Hi,
I recently had a hysterctomy and am still recovering. I am not sure what the other procedures you are having done are though. On 9/15/04 I had my hysterectomy. It was laproscopic (sp?) and vaginal assisted. It all went well and I felt pretty good within a week. However, that is when it is tempting to over do it. The key is--listen to your body. Don't let anyone hurry you into "recovering". Take your time! Two women have told me that it will take a full year. I think I know what they mean. I think if all goes well for you, you will be feeling fine quickly. Give yourself at least 6 weeks. It has been about 5 weeks for me and I still am not lifting heavy items (over 15 pounds)--including my daughter (24#). Without thinking the other day, I lifted her up and walked with her. I am still a bit sore on that side from that event. I am not trying to scare you. Any surgery takes time to heal. This was my sixth surgery, so I know.

After any surgery, you might become "blue". I found that each day was better than the day before and if I kept busy--that helped. For about 6 or 7 weekdays after the surgery, I stayed with my parents while my husband was at work and my kids were at school. She also watched my two youngest children for another week. That helped me with emotions--especially when I felt the blues come on and I could talk to her. She really got me on the upswing. I wasn't quite ready when my sudden surgery was needed. Instead of 2 months to prepare, I had less than a week. I really think that is why I had the blues.

As for intimacy--we can hardly wait for the doctors ok! My husband has been so funny lately. You would think we are two teenagers trying to find a makeout spot!

I wish I could help you on the other two procedures, but I don't know what they are. Sorry.

Good Luck!!!
~~Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

shmal HB User

Thank you so much for your input.The other part of this surgery is to reposition my bladder.It has become prolapsed and is the main reason I need to have the hyst.my uterus is being pulled down & out (for lack of better word.)At the same time they do this operation they will also have to do a rectocele repair same idea as the other just the rectum instead of vaginal area.What fun. Unfortunatley I am also very experiencedw/surgery belive it or not this will be the 29th or 30 th one I've had so as for the general blahs I'm all to familiar....But again thank you so much for your input I REALLY appreciate it.....

Old 10-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #4

mperrin HB User

Good luck with the surgery. I was sore in the rectal area as it was for a few days after, but I think you are going to be a bit sorer. I think with the way they do things it is amazing that you can even leave the hospital so quickly. I missed the bed at the hospital this time. It was actually comfortable and of course it went up and down to make it easier to get in and out of bed. Let us know how it turns out and how you are doing! ~~Mary

ps--I was fortunate, I didn't need any other repair and I still have my ovaries. Oh, I forgot--I had an umbilical hernia repair too, but he was cutting there anyway!! I really hope all goes well for you!

Closed Thread