It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
hospital time & recovery time for a hysterectomy?

i have another thread about my coming up total hysterectomy but i would like to know how long the hospital stay might be and how long til i am able to function normally at home again?
thanks in advance for your reply
baby brother to Vanessa & Tyler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: hospital time & recovery time for a hysterectomy?

Hello,

My manager had a hysterectomy last year and she was in hospital for a week and was off work for 3 months. I've since heard from several people that 3-4 months is a standard recovery time although there are probably exceptions depending on age, general state of health, etc.

Hope this helps a bit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User

Yeah I would have to agree anywhere from 2-4 months.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #4

mperrin HB User

Depending on how they do the hysterectomy dictates how long you are in the hospital. I had a laproscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy. Mine was less invasive which helps in recovery. I had c-sections and the hysterectomy was a lot easier, but major surgery none the less. I had the surgery on a Wednesday at 530-6pm and left the hospital 2 days later on Friday at at about 9pm (I had until midnight before they charged for another day). Unfortunately the insurance I have wouldn't let me stay any longer.

It has been 2 1/2 months since my surgery and I am feeling pretty good. I am feeling that my hormones are more level and not all over the place. I haven't had any side affects and still have normal sex drive. However, I can tell that I have sensitive areas--internally. Everything is healed, but I can tell the difference. I have been told by several people that it will take a full year for complete recovery. Don't let that scare you, but remember it is major surgery and it takes time. The important thing is to give yourself time to recover. So when the time comes, don't feel guilty if you need to nap once in a while even months after the surgery. Sorry I got long winded. (I know a lot of people who are impatient with themselves or someone they love who had major surgery and isn't "feeling better" fast enough). Take care, I hope all goes great for you. ~~M

Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
(female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User

oh wow.....
i am in for a rough ride. since i have had 3 c-sections, my dr. said she will be going through that same scar. i have government insurance, so hopefully they let me stay in the hospital as long as i need to. i have a 6 year old (today is her birthday ), a 3 year old boy, and an 8 month old boy. anyone wanna come over and help me for a few months? lol just kidding.

has having a total hysterectomy made anyone lose weight, gain weight, stay the same?
gosh, i have so many questions popping in my head all the time. i really need to just get this over with.
(Dec 3, 2004)the nurse called me today to let me know that my insurance has approved the surgery and that she will be looking at january 12th. she will call me back with details once she gets it scheduled.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND REPLIES.
baby brother to Vanessa & Tyler

Last edited by LiLSqrt75; 12-04-2004 at 05:07 AM.

Closed Thread