It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User
Question 30 years old and hysterectomy on the way....

Hi everyone...I am new to this board but have posted in other areas. Well, here's the deal: I am 30 years old and have one 9 year old daughter. Since my VERY first period, I have had unbearable cramping nearly every month (at least every other) that sometimes lands me in the ER begging for relief. I would LIKE to have more children but cannot due to a large amount of scar tissue and also I only have one tube left from tubal pregnancy. My doctor told me yesterday that he agrees with my desire to have an hysterectomy to relieve these symptoms. He is sending me to a GYN and that appointment is on the 25th of this month (may).

I would really like some information/support on this subject if anyone can offer it! I am sure that I am emotionally ok having this procedure done, but I am concerned about recovery and post surgical complications. It is pretty sure that if I have it done it will be vaginally.....any input on this? AND, is it true that they stitch things up in there to um....'revirginize' you? I keep hearing this and I am just wondering. I would like to know and understand pro's and con's of both types of hysterectomies.....

Thank you SOOOOO much in advance! ANY info is helpful!

Last edited by Lil'Pea; 05-05-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User
Re: 30 years old and hysterectomy on the way....

Hello. I had my hysterectomy on the 19th and I am so glad I did. I had several problems since I was 18 and things just kept getting worse so I had a TAH/BSO which means they did the hysterectomy through my abdomen and also took my ovaries. I am now on HRTs. It has been a little over 2 weeks since my operation and I feel great. I never had a large amount of discomfort from the surgery. I had a c-section in December and this surgery was easier than the c-section. I was not put to sleep. I had an epidural and some meds thru an IV to make me doze in and out but I was never fully under when they did the operation. I kept the epidural until later that night and did quite a bit of moving around while I was numb so when I had them to discontinue the epidural I was really amazed at how well I felt. I was up walking the next day with no problem and have felt wonderful ever since. I would absolutely do it again and I am only 24 yrs old. After years of hurting and going thru pure hell it is really a relief to know it is all going to be over. I hope everything goes okay for you. I wish you luck.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Hi Nutshell...thank you so much for your reply! I am so happy to hear that you are doing well with your recovery...what are the HRT's like? Do you notice them or feel different? I ask because there is a chance that they will want to take one or both of my ovaries due to scar tissue and that is the only thing really about the surgery that kinda scares me. My aunt had everything taken out and she literally almost died from the hormone fluctuation. It caused her to have a severe heart attack and many other problems. This all happened while she was still in the hospital thank goodness! I know that she is in the smaller percentile, but still scary nonetheless!
So are you still feeling well? I really appreciate your reply....continuing good health to you!

Old 05-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

i had a vaginal hysterectomy on feb 17th. no big cuts so the recovery is much faster. had it done on thrusday and i was washing my kitchen floor on saturday. i had no bleeding whatsoever either. i guess they usually dont put you to sleep for them now but i was on account of the meds i take...they would cause a blood clot in my spine so i was put to sleep. it was no biggy and i was home the next day. sex feels the same, no hormones needed as they left me one ovary. i think the big difference is they dont cut you abdominal muscles doing it vaginally so it hurts way less.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi

I had TAH with bikini incision 14 days ago. The pain from surgery was no worse than the cramps I had for the last 28 years but there was considerable wind pain when bowels starting moving round for just a couple of days. I was doped up for a day but had catheter removed at 24 hours so was then able to get up a shuffle about. I feel a little better each day and only took pain meds for a few days. I was home on day 4 but have to resist housework for 6 weeks (oh what a shame) although docs says I can do light stuff from week 2 providing I do not stand for more than 15 minutes. I can build on this time after week 3.

When I originally talked through the surgery options with gyno he said I was not a candidate for vaginal route. He also explained that although recovery from vaginal surgery route is quicker, you still need to recouperate for 6 weeks. This is because parts of your body have been removed and everything else inside needs to find its place. You run the risk of bowel or vaginal prolapse if you do too much too soon. So please take care.

regards
ktee

Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Do you know what determines if you are a candidate for vaginal or abdominal? I know I can ask the doc all this but that's not until the 25th.....I want to find out as much as i can before my appointment.....lol...and I am a little impatient!! lol....

Old 05-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

i think it has something to do with if you uteras is free from adhesions you can have it vaginally. it cant be stuck to anything.
the other lady is right though, even though you have it vaginally you still have the same restrictions as the other way. dont lift anything, no sex, not much housework (mainly vacuuming). it just feels like you can when you have it vaginally. i must admit though that within a week i was doing all my normakl stuff except sex and heavy lifting.
janet

Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

L-Pea ~ I do not notice any change in my hormones. I still feel exactly the same as before my surgery except there is no pain. I am on premarin 1.25mg per day. I feel wonderful.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

happyelf HB User

Lil'Pea;
I had a radical hysterectomy 5 yrs ago at age 36. (Had a 6yr old girl at the time) I also struggled for years w/"punishing" periods. Mine was "vaginal assisted laparoscopy hyst." I had two incisions--one in my navel and the other on my left side near my hip--Dr took my left ovary out that way and my uterus & cervix out vaginally. (to preface--I had twins vaginally in Dec, 9 days later had my right ovary removed thru a 6" incision from my navel all the way down--there was tennis ball sized tumor on it and if they took it thru my navel they'd have to pop the tumor, which is a no-no.) Four mos later I had the hyst becuse I don't think I ever stopped bleeding after the kids were born.. They sometimes leave the cervix in--mine took it so I couldn't develop cervical cancer in the future. You may want to ask about that. I was under general anesth--in hosp 3 days. My lower back hurt when I woke up from surgery--I think it's because he had to laser a lot of endo and adhesions off other organs while he was in there. I have been on HRT since a week or so after my surgery and LOVE IT!! Beats the night sweats! Started on Premarin and switched to the estrogen patch. The hyst is the best thing I've ever done! After years of heavy, painful, miserable periods, I would do it again in a hearbeat. (Of course, I'm glad I didn't do it sooner--I ADORE these kids) It gave me my life back. Other than that, use the meds they give you and take it easy. I was not allowed to pick up anything heavier than a gallon jug of milk or my babies--if I was sitting down-for 6wks, but felt as if I could after about 2 or 3...but I didn't. Follow their post-op instructions and your recovery should be smooth. Hope this helps...
Gina

Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Wow! Thank you everyone so much. This is all very encouraging! I am really looking forward to my doctor's visit. I am so glad that I posted on this board because I feel much more educated and feel as though I am organized in what questions I need to ask. I was sooooo afraid of them taking my ovaries because I always thought it was so dangerous and that HRT sucked! It is refreshing to hear from women that have good things to say about it. That's the trouble with alot of meds these days....all you hear is the bad stuff it seems. Thank you again for everyone's help! I promise to post after my appointment to let you all know what the plan is! Lil'Pea

Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #11
(female)

Kimberly♥J HB User

Has been edited.

Last edited by Kimberly♥J; 06-04-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Well, I had my appointment today and he said he wants me to come back on the 20th of june. He wants my hubby and I to really discuss whether or not we will ever want more children....which means he is thinking it is my best option. I am very excited (nervous, but excited) because I am tired of having such painful periods. My history is so extensive for abdominal pain and irregular bleeding. I can't wait. I will definitely let you all know what I find out. And thank you so much for your info. I was afraid before that i might lose my ovaries (its very likely due to the amount of scar tissue) but now I am not so worried. It's refreshing to hear the good sides of taking HRT's. In fact, it would probably be better for me! I have TERRIBLE pms and you can be sure my hubby won't miss the hormone fluctuations!! lol....thanks again for all the posts. I'll post again soon.

Lil'Pea

Old 05-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

that is good news for you. i am happy for you. did he mention whether you are a candidate to have it done vaginally? i think if there is a lot of scar tissue you arent. i had to go back with my husband before he would commit to doing it on me too. like i am 43 years old, have 3 kids and have 7 strokes. what were the chances i wanted more kids?...LOL not to mention my husband got fixed two years ago.
janet

Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #14
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

He didn't mention anything about which way he thought he would do it. He just said that he wanted me to come back in a month, get myself cleaned out (i've been suffering severe constipation), and that in the meantime he would review my medical records from my previous surgeries.....one for removal of scar tissue, one for tubal pregnancy, and one for complications from the tubal pregnancy. All of which he will find state clearly that I have scar tissue covering my remaining tube (its totally 'clubbed' at the end and attached to itself). I only hope that they dont find adhesions spread to my bowels. I am feeling pretty sure though that they will find this....I JUST read that patients with endometriosis often present with bowel problems and this is something I've had chronically....recently with rectal bleeding as well. I was originally worried about colon cancer or something of the like, but now that I've read this information, I am not so sure. It said that endo patients with bowel problems often have intermittent rectal bleeding as well.....it's better than cancer but could make surgery a little more difficult. And it definitely would rule me out as a candidate for vaginal hysterectomy. Either way, I am still thrilled at the possibility of having this done. And the sooner the better. I can hardly wait for my next appointment.

I laughed when you told me of your doctor's hesitation at doing your surgery....they are always so worried about 'what if you want more kids'.....I say, if someone comes in begging for it, they are probably sure they don't want more! And if they change their minds down the road, you can't blame the doc for that. But I suppose some probably do! Also, did you say you've had 7 strokes???

Lil'Pea

Old 05-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

hi,
you know two years ago my friend who has suffered endo for years and years finally had a hysterectomy done. she was not a candidate for vaginally. best thing she ever did. she had lots and lots of pain all the time, plus a ton of problems with her bowels. unfortunately she still has problems with her bowels though. she is still so happy that she had it done.
yes i have had 7 strokes. i had 2 blood diseases i didnt know about and by the time they found them i was a complete mess. but lots of rehab, a plate full of pills everyday, some brain surgery, im not good as new but i certainly cant complain. i should be dead they say...ugh. even the surgery, i only had a 25% chance of coming out of it ok, but 100% chance of being dead real soon, so i did it and came out of it without oo much problem. i am SUCH a lucky person.
janet

Closed Thread