It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Anemia and hysterectomy

I have severe iron deficiency, probably due to fibroids. I haven't seen a gyn yet about this, but I want to get a hysterectomy if possible. BTW, I've looked at other options and have decided they're definitely not for me.

Does anybody know what they do in a case like this?? Do they have to bring your iron levels up first?? Would they give me a transfusion? Or put me on an iron-rich diet and hope that works?

I've heard that sometimes they give you hormone shots for about three months to put you through a false menopause, to get your body ready for the surgery. That sounds scary as **** - any hormone drug usually makes me sick.

Anybody?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User
Re: Anemia and hysterectomy

My sister had her hysterectomy due to fibroids, she had severe bleeding and was very anemic. She had a emergency D&C to control the bleeding and a hyst a week later. She was taking iron pills but was bleeding too much for them to be much help. She had tried putting off having a hyst for years until it became a emergency.

The hormone your thinking of is proberly lupron. It will help shrink the fibroid and stop your period. I had a monthly shot of it for 3 months before my hyst to control the endometriosis. It was very effective, controlled the pain and stopped my bleeding. But it will put you in a temporary menopause..I had more menopause symptoms with lupron than with the surgical menopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebobgamma
My sister had her hysterectomy due to fibroids, she had severe bleeding and was very anemic. She had a emergency D&C to control the bleeding and a hyst a week later. She was taking iron pills but was bleeding too much for them to be much help. She had tried putting off having a hyst for years until it became a emergency.

The hormone your thinking of is proberly lupron. It will help shrink the fibroid and stop your period. I had a monthly shot of it for 3 months before my hyst to control the endometriosis. It was very effective, controlled the pain and stopped my bleeding. But it will put you in a temporary menopause..I had more menopause symptoms with lupron than with the surgical menopause.
Lupron is EXACTLY the drug I'm thinking of. I tried regular birth control pills to control bleeding and they made me horribly sick. The doc said if BC makes you sick, Lupron will make you sicker. That's what scares me!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
(female)

berta166 HB User

I am very anemic..I have a 14 cm. fiberoid my doctor told me they will not
do surgery if iam still anemic. She told me about the drug lupron. She says it will help build my blood back up and the fiberiod hopefully will shrink so they can perform surgery I really don't know what to do at this point....This sucks.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Hi Berta,,

Welcome to the boards..Are you worried about the hysterectomy or the Lupron? I know I was very scared of both.. Neither was a bad as I thought.. The lupron put me in menopause but it was such a relief to be free of the endo pain.

Good luck with your decision,, feel free to post with any questions.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

berta166 HB User

Hi spongebobgamma

I think Iam scared of the surgery itself...How was it taking Lupron .I don't
know if I should take the Lupron or not but maybe it would shrink the fiberoid
and make the surgery easier.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Personally, I'm not scared of the surgery, but I'm TERRIFIED of the Lupron. If they tell me I have to take it I'll forego the surgery. Why do they have to put you through menopause?? Why can't they just take out the uterus, leave the ovaries in, and get your iron count up in another way?

Old 06-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
(female)

berta166 HB User

Have you ever tried taking any type of iron pills and eating foods high in iron
that may work for you...Ask your doctor if you could take iron and to give you a list of food thats high in iron..instead of taking the lupron..My doctor suggested it for me to shrink the fiberoid and make the surgery less invasive for me...I am really bad at taking iron pills...

Old 05-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

treegr1 HB User

I had a hyterectomy in nov. 05 due to fibroids, cystic ovaries, and heavy bleeding. I actually became anemic after the hysterectomy,due to bleeding for 6 weeks after. Someone told me I should of been put on Iron before the operation, but my doctor did not think so... I am on iron 3xs a day now, and am not anemic as of my last blood test.. but am now going to have my iron pills lowered... but I would discuss all of this with your gyn first before doing anything on your own.. good luck

Old 07-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
(female)

daisy01 HB User

here in the Uk we can get a liquid iron prep called Floridex, i dont know if you can get it in the states or if it has another name. try a google for it. It comes from health food shops and contains plant extracts. i took this 6 weeks before my hysterectomy(also due to fibroids) and for 6 weeks after and it cured my anaemia.

It doesnt seem to irritate the bowels like other iron preps do either.
I had my hysterectomy under a spinal anaesthetic and felt great afterwards because i didnt have to get the anaesthetic out of my system as well as heal.
hope all goes well for you, it really isnt as bad as you think it will be.
best wishes
daisy xxxx

Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Dr told me the fibroid wouldn't cause bleeding or cancer. I'm anemic and recently dx I got a 2.1cm of serosal fibroid. They all don't think it related to my anemic.

It is the first time that I heard of hysterectomy due to fibroids. Rearly give me a shock!

Pika

Old 01-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
(female)

Shamrock HB User

kerri1,I know just what you're going through! I have severe IDA probably due to some heavy periods I've had recently and problems I have absorbing iron. I go every week to the hospital for IV iron because in the summer I was very anemic and not getting better on the pills. I see a hematologist and she is all over me to go to the GYN since she thinks I may have fibroids(I'm perimenopausal). I just know that they'll want me to have a hysterectomy which would be OK with me but I really DO NOT want to take any type of hormones. I just think there are too many risks to your health involved with them.Anyway,I know what you're going through! Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
(female)

crissytd HB User

Docs that don't think fibroids cause excessive bleeding are quacks! I was on aggressive iron therapy taking 2 - 325mg iron pills a day for about two months before my body started responding to it. They will not do your surgery if your anemic because your at risk for a heart condition. When your oxygen is low in your blood your heart has to work harder. If needed, they can give you a transfusion from loss of blood due to the surgery.

I would not do the lupron. They generally want you to do it for 3 months and in that time you can take the iron and get your hemoglobin up that way. Also, lupron is not guaranteed to work.

Closed Thread