It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

dsmegnky HB User
Unhappy Mirena or Hysterectomy

Hi, I am 35 years old and have had 3 children, one has passed away due to congenital heart disease, which could have been due to my uterus. I have a bicornuate uterus-heart shaped-(which I just found out about), a small fibroid (2 cm), heavy long periods with a brown mucus discharge, painful intercourse, bad headaches during the end of my periods, horrible lower back pain, horrible upper leg pain down to my knee caps, a heavy feeling when I am on my period like right before you have your baby. I went to my obgyn for several years with complaints and she never did tests or anything on me, so I just switched doctors and she have been running tests on me. The ultrasound showed heart shaped uterus and a fibroid. She also said my uterus was enlarged, should be an 8, but it is a 12. She also did a test to check for cancer which was negative. She said that I could possibly have endometriosis. She said my options are Mirena (iud- used as birthcontrol) or a hysterectomy. The pill is out due to past issues with headaches and the pill. So we talked about trying the Mirena first to see if that would help me, but I am have second thoughts about it. The more I read about it the more it makes me wonder. Like it is mainly used for birth control, not problems with periods. I am not having any more children and my husband has had a vasectomy, so I don't need to worry about birth control. Also does it work with a heart shaped uterus? Then do I want to feel better for a few years then have the same problems again later with the same options? With the Mirena it will make your periods heavier before they get lighter, what fun! Has anyone else had the same problems or used a Mirena for the same reasons? Should I try the mirena first or just get a hysterectomy? Has anyone had a similar experiance or any advice..... Thanks.. dsmegnky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Mirena or Hysterectomy

My doctor is offering that to me as a last resort before I go ahead with the hysterectomy. I'm 50 and so close to menopause (although no symptoms yet), he feels it's worth a try and I trust he knows what's best for me.

I really cannot offer you any advice as I haven't had it put in yet, and probably won't for about another month. He had to order it; get insurance approval, etc.; and then said would be inserted on the last day of my period when the cervix is still open.

Once I have it placed, I'll try to drop a note here and update how it's working for me.

Hope you get some answers and some relief! BTW, so sorry on the loss of your child.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

dsmegnky HB User

Hi, Thanks so much!
The doctor is also ordering it in for me, but I was trying to see what others had to say before I went ahead and did it. I have read alot of people who really like it and alot that have had several problems with it. I just don't want to go through all the stuff that goes along with it and then end up having a hysterectomy anyway. Thanks and good luck with yours, I will also update.
Thanks so much again, dsmegnky

Old 10-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Yea, I know what you mean; I'm going into this pretty much not expecting much, but I have nothing but time on my hands for now. I can't have surgery now, anyway, due to other things going on, so the closest I'm looking at a hysterectomy is next July.

I just hope I don't end up bleeding all month long. I only have 3-4 bad clotty days out of the month...I sure don't want more than that, especially now.

Well, you and I will have to keep track of each other and compare notes!

Old 10-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
(female)

dsmegnky HB User

Well I wish you good luck with it. Let me know how it goes for you. I just wish I could find someone who has a heart shaped uterus or/and enlarged uterus to see if Mirena worked for them or if it wasn't even an option. I have read lots of information on Mirena, but never saw any thing about that. I do have their number so I will call them on Monday and see what they say and let you know. Thanks, dsmengky

Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi all

I had mirena fitted for just over a year before I had it removed. It did make my periods lighter and less painfull for a while but then my symptoms returned and got worse.

My periods got lighter immediately but the mirena gave me a lot of heavy spotting and breatkthrough bleeding. This developed into almost continuous periods and menstrual pain throughout my cycle. I also suffered emotionally and felt very detached from my body. I gave the mirena a year to work at the request of my doctor but I was really glad to get it out.

regards
ktee

Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
(female)

dsmegnky HB User

Hi, Thanks so much for writing. Did you have some of the same problems that I did or did you just use it for birth control? So, now what are you going to do to help out with your problem? That was what I was wondering, so now you tried it for a year and now are still have problems. I don't want to go through that. I have been having trouble ever since I gave birth 3 years ago and had to switch to a different doctor just to get something done. Thanks and I hope to hear from you again..... dsmegnky

Old 10-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
(female)

dsmegnky HB User

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I did call mirena today and here is what they told me. First for a good fit your uterus should be between 6-9 cm. and mine is 12 cm. She said that it may not stay in position or my fall out. Second I told her about my heart shaped uterus and she said that they would either have trouble inserting it (if they could even get it in). If they did get it in then it might go over to one side of the uterus and that wouldn't make it very effective. She said it might even puncture my uterus wall. I now have a call in to my obgyn, I hope she will call tomorrow so we can talk it over. So now it looks like my only option is to have a hysterectomy. I am a little scared about it but sure will be glad when it is all said and done. I will write again after I hear from the Dr. to let you know what she said. Thanks for listening!!! dsmegnky

Old 10-05-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi

Not for birth control but for v.heavy bleeding and cramps. After trying it for a year I talked about hysterectomy with my gyno but he asked me to go for 2nd opinion regarding ablation. 2nd opinion said ablation would not work for my symptoms and that I should have a hysterectomy. I am now over 5 months post op and feeling fine. No cramps, no bleeding, no pads, no worry.

good luck
ktee

p.s. I was encouraged to hear that you took the time to phone mirena and also that they gave you such good info.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #10
(female)

dsmegnky HB User

Thanks. I also talked to my dr. about doing the ablation, but she said it would not work for me. She said that with it being heart shaped it would be hard to get it up to the top of each side and have it work effectively.

I talked to my dr. yesterday and told her the information that I found out and she said that the iud only had a 50/50 change of working for me. So after talking about that we are planning to go ahead with the hysterectomy. I am a bit nervous , but will be glad when it is all over with. We are going to try the laparoscopially assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy,but I have had 2 c-sections and worried about ending up having it done abdominally. Well, what ever it takes to get this taken care of.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for the information and if you have any other advice for me please let me know. Thanks, dsmegnky

Closed Thread