It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Question Has anyone had a Hysterectomy mainly for this issue/reason?

Hi everyone,

Please tell me, just so I can know if I am being silly about this. I am thinking of having (will talk to the doctor) a hysterectomy : 1. Because of a very low dropped bladder. 2. Because I am starting to leak pee more (than I used to about 2 weeks ago. 3. Because I have very low/on both sizes pelvic pain.

I am a 55 year old, mom of 2 daughters 26 and 28. Have already gone thru menopause and am taking low dose hormones. I cannot have any more children, because I have had my tubes tied. Nor do I want anymore. I am married. I am just so tired of having my lower back hurt all the the time.

I also worry greatly about ovarian cancer and have a history of ovarian cysts. One was was a simple cyst and one was a kind made up of matter.

Any advice, stories or something instead ofs - are welcome and wanted.

Thanks in advance.

Wannabe

Last edited by WannaBeFreeToRoam; 12-29-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Need some answers - please

Old 01-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: Has anyone had a Hysterectomy mainly for this issue/reason?

Hi ToBeFree

Having a hysterectomy is a major invasive operation and all alternatives should be explored prior to having it done. IMO, if you have a bladder problem then this should be tackled on its own. There are relatively simple techniques that can be done to help such as exercises and then more invasive such as bladder suspension. Bladder suspension is sometimes carried out at the same time as a hysterectomy. If you are having no problems with your uterus then I would leave it be. It does help to support the rest of your organs and if you remove it then it might put even more pressure on your bladder.
It is possible to tackle your ovary problem seperately too. Ovaries (either one or both) can be removed without interferring with your uterus. Removing the ovaries is called oopherectomy and is sometimes done at the same time as a hysterectomy.
Do you have your ovaries regularly monitored for cysts or other?

Hope the above helps
Ktee

Last edited by ktee_uk; 01-01-2006 at 02:50 AM. Reason: added some stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
(female)

shmal HB User

Hello Freeto be,
well let me start by saying last Nov(2004)I had a hyst for the same reason.I had A SEVERE dropped bladder (One of tech's doing a pre test even commented, in the report,on how they hadn't seen one so bad in someone so young,I was 34 at the time.)Anyway I was going in for a Cystocle(sp),rectocle,TVT-O & hyster.Well My "wonderfull" Dr.decided that once the hyst was done everything "bounced"back in to place.(they did the rectocle & TVT-O procedures,too but not the cystocle repair,which was the main culprit.)So now a year later I'm in the same spot I was in and now have to go to a Urogynocologist(these Dr.s are very hard to find they specialize in urology & Gyno)And I have to have the cystocle surgery anyway.So my suggestion to you is make sure that it is spelled out that you want the bladder repair for sure regardless what appears after the hyst is completed.Good luck.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to both of yall,

Thank you for writing about my thread. Schmal, If I have a hysterectomy, I will tell my doctor, to be sure and do the bladder "thing". I will probably spell it out in writing, or he will, and I will sign it! I tend to leave nothing to chance - especially concerning my doctors.

K-tee, I do have my ovaries checked out at least 1 x per year. About, 2 years ago, I had bad heavy clotty bleeding and am post menopausal. The gyno and I changed hormones some and nothing seemed to work, except lowering the hormones to the very lowest level. During this period (1 yr. approx.) of time, I had 3 or 4 vaginal ultrasounds. Then I had one every 6 mo. My last one was in October. It was said to be fine, but they could not see my ovaries, because my bowels were in the way.

On my other Vag. Ultras., I had cysts. They started out large, then stayed the same for 6 mo. and then went down a little, each time over the next 6 - 9 mo. Still have lower abdominal pains tho. I am taking Prempro 0.45 now. I was on Prempro 0.3, but it was not helping my nervousness, hot flashes and dryness, enuf. I will continue to check out all the procedures concerning dropped bladder, ovaries, female pain and hysterectomys.

Thanks for the info and if you have anymore - I am wanting all I can get my hands on.
I am calling my gynocologist this week, just to have a talk with him. Then I will go from there.

Take caer and thanks again.

Wannabe

Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Everyone,

BUMP! Anymore stories, information or answers???

Wannabe

Closed Thread