It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

DanaC65 HB User
Post Surgery Funny

I had a Hysto in 1999 and before I went in I told my husband that when I come out of surgery I would have a PCA pain pump. I asked him that no matter what to keep pushing my pain button for me as often as it would permit. He did and I stayed Pain free and asleep. At some point the Nurse came in and asked if I wanted a Popsicle as I fell back to sleep. I guess I had a dream of that popsicle and when I awoke some friends were at my bedside and my husband at the foot of the bed. My husband ask me "Hunny? Do you want this popsicle?" I looked at him angry and said "Why in the world would I want your popsicle? I have my own popsicle in my pocket. He said In you Pocket? I said yes! in my coat pocket and if you get them out their going to melt. He just looked at my funny and I turned to my friends and said " Whats so flippin hard to understand?" and went back to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User
Re: Post Surgery Funny

Hello there....you're story made me laugh, but it also made me cringe! Morphine can be a very dangerous drug. If someone pushes the button for you, even while you are sleeping, it can cause you to go into resperitory distress/failure....yes it is 'safe' to use it every ten minutes how they set it up, but their theory is that if you are sleeping, you aren't in too much pain. When a person is sleeping, their resperations already slow down along with heartrate and body temp. Also, your hubby (if seen by a nurse that knew better) could have gotten into legal trouble! I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. When my best girlfriend had her histo last year, i pushed the button for her, and the nurse jumped all over me and explained why that was not allowed and such. So when I had my hysto (as tempting as it was to ask my hubby to push it too) I realized it could have taken my life. Morphin alone lowers your heartrate and resperations...which is why they give it to patients on hospice. It helps them die in relative peace.

So anyhow, your story is very funny, but I had to respond simply for others who may read and not be aware of the huge dangers in administering Morphine to someone who is sleeping.

Lil'Pea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

DanaC65 HB User

I guess I should have said it was not Morphine, It was low dose Demerol as I have an allergy to Morphine. Now I'm not saying Demerol is anything to play with either, But thanks for the warning for others.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

PHEW!

I am so glad my warning did not offend. It was not meant to in the least. As I said, it did make me laugh!

Lil'Pea

Closed Thread