It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
what EXACTLY do you feel when you wake up?

What do you feel when you wake up from surgery...I have never been cut open, but I am PRETTY sure I will be going for abdominal hysterectomy.
I am already starting to get scared..I do not do well with surgery..I always wake up and throw up...can't imagine that after being cut open..been told gas is HORRENDOUSLY painful after surgery and also wondering what the incision will feel like..will I wake up screaming? Where else does pain come from? Do you feel EXCRUTIATING pain inside?
All in all, is the pain bearable or will I be moaning and crying?

The Following User Says Thank You to needhealing777 For This Useful Post:
Susan Hickman (04-26-2012)
Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: what EXACTLY do you feel when you wake up?

You won't be moaning and crying unless you are too shy to ask for more medicine when you need it. First of all, they will be managing your pain until it becomes bearable right after the surgery. When you wake up, you will probably feel okay because it's very likely they'll do a spinal block that won't wear off until the next day. You will have a lot of pain medication available to you, you just have to not be shy to ask for it. Any time you think you need more, ring for the nurse...unless you are lucky enough to have a morphine pump, then you can give it to yourself. Be sure to ask about what pain management you will receive...this will hopefully ease your mind.

If you have thrown up from having surgery before, be sure to tell the doctor during your pre-op, and your anesthesiologist that you would like to be given medication for nausea. I've had nausea before when I woke up from surgery and the last two times I had surgery, I asked for the nausea medication and I was fine. I had a tiny bit of nausea over the next couple of days, but I just asked the nurse for nausea medication and she gave it to me. I never threw up.

The gas can be very painful. My doctor ordered Simethicone, but you can be sure to ask for it and it helps a little. You will also need stool softeners (Colace) and be sure to drink as much water and juices as possible, so when it's time to have a bowel movement, you won't be constipated. Ask for water if they don't bring it...I had to. The pain medication is very constipating and so you really need this liquid.

I would say the most painful part is trying to sit up and back down again from a laying down position. Use the mechanical bed and bars for this as much as possible. I found I was leaning on my elbows so much for support they got a little chapped (I covered my elbows with band-aids after that). When they say you need to start walking, do it as much as you are able. I would always do it right after my morphine shot and it was less painful...go slowly or ask for help if you are woosy from the medication.

This surgery is pretty major, and I underestimated how long it would take to recover. I was still feeling fatigued after six weeks. The pain isn't too bad after about three weeks (don't worry, you'll have plenty of medication to take at home too), but I was so weak I still couldn't do much. Walking is important to get your bowels going good again, but don't plan on doing much else for awhile. You'll be okay. Go to the library and check out some books on hysterectomy. That's what I did and it helped me get mentally prepared. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by SRMom; 04-04-2006 at 11:40 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SRMom For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #3

Leabridge HB User

I had my hysterectomy exactly 3 weeks ago, I completely understand how scared you are, I was terrified. I didn't feel anything at all when I woke up. No excruciating pain, no nausea - nothing unbearable, and I have a low tolerance for pain of any kind. I could have written most of SRMom's post - except for the nausea medicine. The pain medicine was completely effective right after the surgery, and even the next day, when I was encouraged to ask for pain medicine when I needed it, I was surprised at how well it was managed. I DID feel pain, but as SRMom said, ask for pain medicine, it does help. I also walked after my medicine took effect, and rested afterwards.

QUOTE: I would say the most painful part is trying to sit up and back down again from a laying down position. Use the mechanical bed and bars for this as much as possible. END QUOTE

I couldn't agree more.

I didn't drink enough fluids post surgery, and my constipation was awful 4-5 days later. I have now been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice, and the difference is incredible. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Leabridge; 04-04-2006 at 01:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leabridge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User

Thanks for all the replies and tips...I will try to remember both your words and hope it gets me through this pre-op nervousness..I hate feeling this way...I think the worst is actually walking into the hospital the day of.
I'm going to keep going over all the things you said, so I can remember everything and be sure to ask for all I need.

The Following User Says Thank You to needhealing777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I was really nervous too. I have a prescription for Xanax and my doctor said I could take one before I went to the hospital with a very tiny bit of water. If you are miserable, maybe you could ask if you could have a Xanax or Valium prescription to calm you before you go in. I'm a wimp when it comes to anxiety and pain, so I'm always asking for help with both.

When is your surgery? Keep us posted and good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to SRMom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
(female)

Debbie680 HB User

Hi there. I am the queen of nervousness and being afraid and I promise you it's really not that bad. I was terrified of being put to sleep but my anesthisiologist was terrific. I did wake up in alot of pain and I was warned that I would feel this way but they brought it under control immediately and then I was taken to my room. I had a morphine pump for the first night and part of the next day so that was easy. Afterwards I had to take Darvocet and yes it is VERY constipating so drink your liquids for sure and take your stool softener. You will be okay I'm sure just like the rest of us. Good luck and God Bless . Keep us posted.

Debbie

The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie680 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
(female)

khz1201 HB User

I had my surgery 2 wks ago, and I was also scared to death. It really wasn't that bad, they inserted a pain pump during my surgery under the skin near the incision which delivered a numbing type of medication which was a big help! It was removed before I left the hospital. The worst part is getting in and out of bed, it's a little easier in the bed at the hospital because of the rails but once I got home it was a little more difficult, but by the fourth day I was doing it on my own.

The Following User Says Thank You to khz1201 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
(female)

foxyfoina HB User

NeedHealing777. Its obviously very different where i am in the UK. I had full hysterectomy in jan this year abdominal with a large 6 inch vertical incision. We are in the hospital for 7 days, and i was given an epidural for the pain whilst in the op. and thats left in for 24 hours, and hence when i woke up i had awful trapped gas, but no incision pain whatsoever, in fact never have had. It healed really well and i had the stitches out before leaving the hospital and when i came home on the Sunday (Op was previous Monday morning) my scar looked really good. Cocoa Butter is excellent for healing scars, and now i am tanned, can hardly see it, blended in nicely. the surgeon was very good and sewing! We drank and drank and drank, didn't feel like eating much for the fist few days, but you must drink like the ladies say to keep your fluid levels up, peppermint in your drink too is good for trapped gas. Peppermine cordial you might have over there, i drank loads of it, but i ended up with trapped gas in my rib cage, hmmm that was very painful and i needed morphine in the end, but once sorted out i was fine, and took painkillers every 4 hours, thats the only uncomfortable thing i had. In the uk the morning after your op they make you sit up in bed, the nurses are like 'come on then ladies, up you come" hmmm but bend your knees up nice and high and sit up slowly and surprisingly its fine, and each day it was easier, by the end of the week in hospital i was doing it nice and controlled and slowly on my own. Seems sadistic but they make us get out of bed and walk around once we are disconnected of our wires 24 hours after our op. my epidural was unplugeed, didn't hurt, my cathetar was taken out, and going to the loo was weird to start with, not painful though, if you drink lots, just a weird feeling but not painful throughout sweetie. By the time i left the hospital i felt really well. In fact i went back in the following day,my hubbie took me in in the car, and i walked slowly up to the ward to take them all a large box of chocs to say thankyou for all their help whilst i was there. they couldn't believe i walked in, well i pottered in at a nice gently pace, then rested up at home the rest of the day, but felt much better for walking, i didn't lie in bed at all really, just kept moving slowly, that way i felt i didn't stiffen up and became very flexible and healed very quickly, but you know your body better than anyone, react to what it tells you and be very sensible but if you feel like a little stroll every now and then, by all means, have one for 10 mins then rest up again and take it easy, but don't be afraid to do little things, the feeling now is that little gentle careful exercise is very helpful in the healing process, and with nice sunshine where you are, it would be lovely to be outside, you are all very luck. Best of luck and don't be nervous, i know i was and i have a very low pain threshold, but i was fine, and so will you be. take care. Fi from UK

The Following User Says Thank You to foxyfoina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
(female)

AmyW HB User

SRMom is right, hon. You won't wake up screaming and crying. You will be a bit disoriented, maybe dizzy, but you won't be in horrible pain. You will be on pain meds and please dont be shy in asking for more or telling the nurses if something is bothering you. That's what they are there for. They can't help if they don't know what's wrong.

The surgery is not that bad. I had a total hyst, abdominally, in January of this year. I'm now feeling great! The first couple of months were rough, with a bit of diarrhea and constipation and the gas is bad, but it is managable. Getting up and down is the hardest part. Please ask for help, dont try by yourself until you're stronger!

Everything will be fine! Let us know when you're having the surgery and keep talking to us. We're here for you!

Amy

The Following User Says Thank You to AmyW For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread