It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #1

lingo HB User
How Long Really Back To 'normal'?

Spent eve @ Barnes & Noble scanning hysterectomy book. From what I read, "normal" isn't back til about 1 year - and that feeling not exhausted takes much longer than 6-8wks. A couple friends have relayed similar. Hope I'm not scaring other people with this, but I really don't want life on hold so long. Or, do you think normal means running 4 miles if that's what you did "before"? Had lupron and iron to build up HCT from 24 for surgery hopefully in June. Can do NOTHING now, surgery recup supposedly longer since I'm so anemic, and afraid to have life on hold so long if this is all true. Having marriage issues after 20 yrs., so don't feel support where I needed/expected it, and maybe for these reasons worry if it's all so prolonged; which of course raises the question, did stress do this?! Would love to know how long I'll need someone in my house helping (vag. hyst., leaving ovaries due to mega-bleeding fibroids). Thanks for help!

Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #2

lingo HB User
Re: How Long Really Back To 'normal'?

I have no idea as I'm totally new to this type of thing - am finding the info shared very helpful though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
(female)

Happy Days HB User

lingo,

I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago. I had fibroids and severe endometriosis. I still have my ovaries so I am not on any type of hormone supplements. It took me 8 weeks before I began to feel better and regain my energy. I was off work for 6 weeks. It is best to have someone with you for a least the first week. If you can have someone with you for 2 weeks, that is even better. The first few weeks you will not be able to stand up straight due to the incision and you will be on pain killers that will keep you drowsy. You will need your sleep during this time as well as drinking lots of fluids. The doctor will make you walk as soon as possible once the surgery is completed so that you begin the healing process. The first few weeks you will also experience a lot of gas and may need to take something to ease the pain. Your doctor will also advise you not to drive the first two weeks so you will need someone to take you for your follow up visit which is usually after the first week of surgery.

Normal depends on the person. If you were an active person before, you will probably recover better than someone who isn't as active because you are in better physical condition. I don't think you will run 4 miles for a while but it probably won't take a whole year. Best to discuss these concerns with your doctor. I am sure this will relieve most of your fears.

I have not had any physical or sexual problems due to the hysterectomy. I don't miss the heavy periods, cramping, and shooting pains in my legs. Except for not having a period, I forget I even had a hysterectomy. .

Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #4

lingo HB User

Thank you sooo much - when I made this decision I expected what you relayed - reading too much I think, and honestly afraid because since I'm so anemic, I'm NOT working out (CAN'T), can't go for walks, etc. Optimistic after reading your post though, so thanks again. Just want to get it over with, but can't due to blood count.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

EndoJo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Days
lingo,

I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago. I had fibroids and severe endometriosis. I still have my ovaries so I am not on any type of hormone supplements. It took me 8 weeks before I began to feel better and regain my energy. I was off work for 6 weeks. It is best to have someone with you for a least the first week. If you can have someone with you for 2 weeks, that is even better. The first few weeks you will not be able to stand up straight due to the incision and you will be on pain killers that will keep you drowsy. You will need your sleep during this time as well as drinking lots of fluids. The doctor will make you walk as soon as possible once the surgery is completed so that you begin the healing process. The first few weeks you will also experience a lot of gas and may need to take something to ease the pain. Your doctor will also advise you not to drive the first two weeks so you will need someone to take you for your follow up visit which is usually after the first week of surgery.

Normal depends on the person. If you were an active person before, you will probably recover better than someone who isn't as active because you are in better physical condition. I don't think you will run 4 miles for a while but it probably won't take a whole year. Best to discuss these concerns with your doctor. I am sure this will relieve most of your fears.

I have not had any physical or sexual problems due to the hysterectomy. I don't miss the heavy periods, cramping, and shooting pains in my legs. Except for not having a period, I forget I even had a hysterectomy. .
Happy Days,
Thank you for sharing your story. I wonder if you would be willing to answer some questions since you sound like you had the same problems I do. I have had fibroids for years, and 13 years ago my doctor suspected endo. The pain was frequent, but I learned to live with it and never pursued getting it diagnosed. This year it has gotten rapidly, progressively worse to the point that it is unbearable. My doc put me on progesterone for 2 months and it continued to get worse. The only change was I stopped passing huge clots, but still had the heavy, gushing periods and constant pain. Last week I had a lap and hysteroscopy and he confirmed deeply embedded endo. I have a follow up appt this week to discuss next steps. I am afraid of trying Lupron or Depo because I never tolerated hormones well, not even bc pills. I know the hysterectomy won't cure endo, but if they take the ovaries too and I go into menopause, that will help to stop the endo. I am 44, so waiting for menopause is just not an option as the pain is so bad now I cannot function without painkillers and a heating pad.

My question is: how bad was the menopause? I have heard from many women that went through it naturally that the hot flashes are bad and it affects the memory. I think that would be easier to deal with than the pain as when I am in severe pain I can't think straight anyway. I already get night sweats and am hot all the time, so I am inclined to think it just couldn't be that much worse. My biggest fear is being able to function at my job. I have a high stress job with a lot of responsibility and I am the primary source of support for my family. Any additional insight you (or anyone else) can share would be greatly appreciated.

One other question - after my lap, I was shot for 5 days, but managed to work from home on day 4. How soon could I reasonably resume work, if I could work from bed with the laptop next to me?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #6

lingo HB User

Jo:

I had lupron injection two weeks ago and have seen very few side effects - no hot flashes, etc.; the theory behind it being to build me up (along with iron), and shrink uterus prior to surgery. I didn't like bc pills twenty years ago when I took them, but have not felt sick due to lupron or bcp's this time aroun d-may be because the symptoms of my problems (clots, etc.) are so disturbing that I'm not noticing feeling kina queasy - who knows.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Lingo...I had a TAH-BSO and my recovery, to my previous activity level, was around 8 weeks. I think it would be less for a vaginal hyst.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoJo
Happy Days,
Thank you for sharing your story. I wonder if you would be willing to answer some questions since you sound like you had the same problems I do. I have had fibroids for years, and 13 years ago my doctor suspected endo. The pain was frequent, but I learned to live with it and never pursued getting it diagnosed. This year it has gotten rapidly, progressively worse to the point that it is unbearable. My doc put me on progesterone for 2 months and it continued to get worse. The only change was I stopped passing huge clots, but still had the heavy, gushing periods and constant pain. Last week I had a lap and hysteroscopy and he confirmed deeply embedded endo. I have a follow up appt this week to discuss next steps. I am afraid of trying Lupron or Depo because I never tolerated hormones well, not even bc pills. I know the hysterectomy won't cure endo, but if they take the ovaries too and I go into menopause, that will help to stop the endo. I am 44, so waiting for menopause is just not an option as the pain is so bad now I cannot function without painkillers and a heating pad.

My question is: how bad was the menopause? I have heard from many women that went through it naturally that the hot flashes are bad and it affects the memory. I think that would be easier to deal with than the pain as when I am in severe pain I can't think straight anyway. I already get night sweats and am hot all the time, so I am inclined to think it just couldn't be that much worse. My biggest fear is being able to function at my job. I have a high stress job with a lot of responsibility and I am the primary source of support for my family. Any additional insight you (or anyone else) can share would be greatly appreciated.

One other question - after my lap, I was shot for 5 days, but managed to work from home on day 4. How soon could I reasonably resume work, if I could work from bed with the laptop next to me?

Thanks!
I still have my ovaries so I have not encountered menopause at this time. I had my uterus and cervix removed. I no longer have the pains from the endometriosis. I had abdominal surgery and was off work for 6 weeks but I really did not start feeling like myself until about 8 weeks.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
(female)

foxyfoina HB User

EndoJo, hiya wow sounds like you've been through the wars hun. I have had a full abdominal hysterectomy here in the UK though back in January this year due to severe endometriosis on my right ovary and they removed everything, both ovaries etc. apart from i still have endo all over my bowel. I spent a week in hospital (which is normal here) and felt so much better when i came home, no pain, no problems at all. I would rest up part of the day then potter about some of the time, i am not one for sitting still and certainly not in bed. They do encourage you to walk around, just potter i call it, the slipper shuffle! but it did make me feel much better moving rather than sitting and stiffening up. See how your body feels, you will know what you can do and when you need to rest up, listen to your body. We are advised to take anything from 8-12 weeks off work here in the UK and not to drive till 6 weeks. but i was driving at 4 weeks and went back to work at 8, i only work part time though, and secretarial so sitting not stretching or stacking shelves which would have probably meant longer time off. If you are fit and well before your op then hopefully you will quickly feel better afterwards. Take one day at a time, and drink lots to keep your fluids up. But if you are feeling well enough, a little bit of work, say in the mornings, can't do you any harm if you feel you can cope, little one day and then rest up, see how you feel afterwards, and gently ease back into your work. You mustn't overdo it even if you feel well, as you will ruin all your good work. I was forced overnight into Menopause which felt very odd, but hot flushes were weird, and strangely enough no one has mentioned in these forums if they get lower back ache and a headache or anything around the time they would have normally had a period? i did! it was very weird, my poor body was so confused. I still have endometriosis on my bowel and for that i need to take progesterone to keep it dampened down so they gave me a combined continual HRT Livial. I decided to stop taking it, as i have another 10 years of having to take it, and didn't want artificial animal hormones etc. so am now trying Natural Progesterone, and see how i get on. I wish you all the best of luck and i am confident you will be fine, and listen to your body, if you feel well like i did, do a little, then rest up, but whatever you do don't lift anything heavier than a kettle, the reason being is that we have no nerve endings as they were all cut and muscles pushed aside (not cut) but we can't feel if we do damage and thats the bad bit, so please please be very careful don't be tempted to lift anything, everything else just do very slowly and within your limitations and you'll do well. At 6 weeks post op i didn't feel like i had had an op at all, was walking normally, out walking everyday with my hubbie in the sunshine, and doing exercises which my physio gives us in the hospital, gentle sit up (yes sit ups!) but only as described by them, and this keeps you supple and aids the recovery process very well. take care and keep smiling. Fi in the UK

Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

RKay HB User

buy Elizabeth Vliet's book-screaming to be heard, It will fix your problem- tell you everything you need to know and what you didn't know. It will guide you through -tell you how to get real help. You need different hormone therapy. You are not getting the right stuff. This book will shock you and tell what you are doing wrong and where to go next to get the right hormone mix.

Closed Thread