It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

AFH HB User
Constipation & Gas Pain?

For those of you who already had a hysterectomy - what is the best way to combat the uncomfortable constipation & gas pains? I read they are both very painful after a Hysterectomy due to the incisions.

I know to expect constipation due to the high dose of painkillers and other medication but from the past Colace (stool softener) has never done the job.

I would like to prepare my body before surgery. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
(female)

maggiemayuk HB User
Re: Constipation & Gas Pain?

Dear AFH
I had my hysterectomy 12 weeks ago and the gas and constipation aren't very nice but you can relieve it. As soon as you can get up out of bed in hospital , walking does the trick with the gas. I had a loo in my room but would walk down the corridor to go as it helps. They will give you things in hospital to help you to open your bowels they are not very dignified but god they do the trick! I have also found that drinking orange juice helped me go.
You can get yourself ready for the op before hand by keeping up with regular exercise and eating good food containing fibre to help clear your system.
Good luck with the op. It really isn't as bad as I thought you'll soon be back to normal just take it slowly.

maggiemayuk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Constipation & Gas Pain?

Hi AFH...when I was in the hospital, I was given Simethicone for gas and Colace for constipation. Neither one worked and they sent me home without having a bowel movement. I later had a terrible bowel impaction. After that, I had to use Peri-Colace (it has a stimulant laxative with the stool softener) for the next seven or eight weeks until I was totally up and around, back to my usual activity. The Peri-Colace gave me a little cramping and diarrhea a couple of times until I figured out the right dose to take, but it was preferable to the constipation.

Closed Thread