It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

katherine8 HB User
Radiation without Chemo vs. Radical Hysterectomy

My mother has just now been diagnosed with cervical cancer after a cone bioipsy. Should have asked the doctor about what stage she is in but did not think to ask on the visit. She has just been diagnosed and will talk to her Monday to see. From what I know, it is contained in her cervix and the Oncologist/Gynocologist told her that she is a good candidate for a hysterectomy to remove her cervix, ovaries, and lymph nodes and we have a tenative surgery date of 6/15. It worries me for her to be cut on as she is 73 and the incision will be up and down not just a small bikini cut. My mother is very active (walks couple of miles a day, mows her own yard 2 acres) and has a lot of energy. She is tiny being 4.10 at 85 lbs. She does have another option of going through radiation without chemo therapy but I feel this would be very hard on her body too.

If anyone has information on either procedures, please let me know your thoughts. This doctor has an excellent reputation but she will not give recommendations to either procedure. She tells us that its a personal choice that the patient has to make.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

kitkatD HB User
Re: Radiation without Chemo vs. Radical Hysterectomy

I am guessing she is in an early stage of cancer since they are not doing both surgery & radiation. I have heard if it is advanced they will do both.

Anyway, can they possibly do a vaginal hysterectomy? I heard the recovery time can be a little faster. Hugs & hope your mom gets well soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

freesoul HB User
Re: Radiation without Chemo vs. Radical Hysterectomy

This is a hard decision to make either way.Your mom sound's like she is very spry,that's great! If the cancer is contained to the cervical area,maybe a vaginal hyst would be a good idea.I am having one soon,recovery is said to be easier on the body and less hospital time as well.My best wishes to your mom as she make's this decision,and to you as well.Take care.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
(female)

texan1771 HB User
Arrow Re: Radiation without Chemo vs. Radical Hysterectomy

Hello my prayers are with your mother and all involved,
I had cervical cancer stage 2b,I went to the leading cancer facility in the country,I didnt have a option because of where the cancer was located it had spread to one of my pelvic lymph nodes and I did the low dose chemo and radiation,and let me tell you I was 34 then and now at 35 I am sporting a colostomy bag and have nephrostomy tubes draining my kidneys I STRONGLY urge you do all the research you can,if she has the option of a hystertomy I personally would do that because what happened to me is not uncommon!!!!PLEASE consider this when making your decsion!!! Keep me posted please Ginger

Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
(female)

katherine8 HB User
Smile Re: Radiation without Chemo vs. Radical Hysterectomy

So sorry to hear about your radiation treatment. Your input really helps people like us in making decisions and I thank you and everyone else who replied to me for doing so.

The doctor called today and my mother decided on the hysterectomy. She can't have it vaginally as she is having too much taken out. They are removing her cervix, uterous, ovaries, lymph nodes and her fallopian tube. Yes, if there was a way, the vaginal hysterectomy would be wonderful but there is no way to do a radical that way. I too had abdominal hysterectomy due to too much bleeding and had to do it abdominally since my uterous was too high. I know that it was very painful being cut in the stomach (mine was just a bikini cut) but I think the hysterectomy choice is good so that there is no chance of spreading or having cancer in the areas being removed. She is a stage 1a2 which I believe is in the early stages. I need to look this up.

The good news is that she had a Pet Scan the other day as they picked up some cysts on her liver during a CT Scan and nothing lit up on the PET, so that's good news and one less item to worry about.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread