It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Polycystic Ovary Disease and Hysterectomy

Hi all

I usually post on the thyroid site and had a question: I suffered from polycystic ovary disease--diagnosed at age 28, had numerous d & c's, did conceive twice; one live birth and finally had a total hysterectomy at 40. I am now 49 and feeling crummy from other ailments. If you are diagnosed with PCOD, are you still considered to have it even though you've had the hysterectomy? I was prescribed numerous HRT meds and had a terrible time with them so I discontinued taking them. I gained 60 lbs in a short amount of time and from what I understand, obesity goes along with PCOD and I know that my hormones and moods have been affected for years. Would this syndrome still continue for life? I know this question probably doesn't make any sense, but I would appreciate any advice regarding this. The only thing that I heard years ago from the gynecologist who did the surgery was"Oh for sure--cysts on your ovaries can upset your hormones". I guess I'm not sure if your hormones straighten out after the hysterectomy or get worse. Thanks so much!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Polycystic Ovary Disease and Hysterectomy

Hi...I wanted to try to respond, but I'm not sure I have any answers. If you had your ovaries removed, you wouldn't suffer from the PCOD any more (I think) but your hormones would change because you are missing your ovaries. If the HRT didn't work for you, then you probably had a tough time adjusting to life without estrogen. I would think your hormones would be adjusted by now though, since it's been 9 years since your surgery. Did you gain weight because of the HRT or because you weren't feeling well? Have you tried antidepressants for your moods? I've read that Wellbutrin helps with depression and also suppresses the appetite. Maybe something like that would help you?

I lost about 45 pounds a few years ago and the only way I could do it was to eat less and move more. I counted my calories...got a diet cookbook with nutrition info, and stayed below 1200 calories a day (only cheated once in awhile...like at a party). I tried to cut out sweets and breads (except whole grain) and also tried to stay below 15 grams of fat per day. Protein keeps you satisfied longer than carbs, for example is a good tip to know, but it must be very low fat...I ate a lot of soy products. I kept a journal and wrote down everything I ate, every day and in about nine months I was at my goal. Now, I don't have to stick to that regimen, but I just know how to eat the right foods and I've been able to keep the weight off for over 4 years. I'm sorry you are suffering...I hope you can find something to help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
(female)

chris02 HB User

Hi,

What the other person answering your question does'nt understand is weight gain is causes by pcod. All the books i have read recently say you have to avoid sugery carbs we can not digest them. The carbs that give everybody else energy store as fat on a pcod sufferer. I am due to see my gyn on Thurs to discuss an Hysterectomy, but I want it to cure the pcod, now I'm thinking it wont change a thing. I will still be over-weight, hairey and depressed. If you need more advise on what to do to shed the pounds have a look on a certain famous book and cd web site and put in pcos. There are loads of books on the subject now even diet advice.
Chris

Last edited by chris02; 07-02-2007 at 03:31 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi Hope
Sorry to here what you are going through..I totaly understand.
I had a hyst(everything removed but cervix) 2 years ago due ro Adenomyosis and PCOS at the age of 39.
I was just at my doc last week and suffering from Insulin Resitance, Cholesteral,m middle weight, hair on face, acne and so on. I was told that even though I dont have my Ovaries I am still dealing with PCOS. Shge is giving me 3 months to work on the sugar issue and if it doesnt go down, well I will be back on Metformin. It is miserable. I try to eat healthy but this just sucks.
We are stuck with this PCOS thing. The only thing different is we are no longer getting cysts on the ovaries.
I am also on Crestor for the cholesteral and xanax for anxiety due to the menopause. I am on HRT 0.05mg Estroderm patchg 2x a weekYou need to talk I am here and frustrated too!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
(female)

heatherd216 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02 View Post
Hi,

What the other person answering your question does'nt understand is weight gain is causes by pcod. All the books i have read recently say you have to avoid sugery carbs we can not digest them. The carbs that give everybody else energy store as fat on a pcod sufferer. I am due to see my gyn on Thurs to discuss an Hysterectomy, but I want it to cure the pcod, now I'm thinking it wont change a thing. I will still be over-weight, hairey and depressed. If you need more advise on what to do to shed the pounds have a look on a certain famous book and cd web site and put in pcos. There are loads of books on the subject now even diet advice.
Chris
Okay, I had pcod as well, and I'm 8 weeks post op from a complete hysterectomy, and I feel great. I understood that since I no longer have the ovaries, I no longer have pcod. Absence of ovaries, absence of disease. I have lost 12 pounds and the way that I felt like crap before? That's gone! This was the best thing I ever did! I know everyone is different, but it sounds like more of a depression problem.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

padme123 HB User

hi All

I do not want to burst any one bubble but. I have PCOS syndrome I had a hystorectomy one year ago, full hystorectomy and I lost one ovary. my uterus was fused to my bowel and all was stuck together from endo and scaring probably from two previous C-Sections to have my children.

so i have only one ovary and now 12 months later I have a large cyst on it! I have an appointment with my GYN next week but I am so frustrated as I thought I was rid of all the pain and suffering.

Last edited by padme123; 07-31-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
(female)

KimmerS is Me HB User

PCOS is actually a metabolic or endocrine disorder whose symptoms can continue to be bothersome even after the ovaries have ceased to function (either by menopause, surgical causes, or chemical causes). It causes multiple problems throughout a woman's system, and is best controlled by your endocrinologist. I recently learned I had PCOS (about 2 years ago) and am 5 weeks post op from a LAVH w/ RSO, appendectomy, and rectocele repair. I am currently dealing with very swollen glands in my neck right by my thyroid, as well as a temp that goes up every afternoon. I hope your hysterectomy has helped some of your symptoms!!

~Kim~

Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

KimmerS,
Hope you are feeling better !!!!!
I see that you said you are dealing with swollen glands?? I have a question, now this would happen to me a couple of times a year when I had my period that I would get swollen lymph nodes in my under arms. Since my hyst (due to PCOS and Adeno) 2 years ago, it seems to always come the day before I have to change my HRT Patch. Is this due to PCOS??

Closed Thread