It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

slimseeker HB User
I have to have a hysterectomy. I am scared :(

Can those who have been through it help me. I am in tears from fright. I have been diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with severe atypia. My gyne said on a scale of 1 to 10, and 10 being cancer I am at a 7 stage precancer. This scares me and she said my only option is to be safe and have a hysterectomy. I have chosen to have it all out as a precaution.

I was wondering what to expect and recovery time etc..pain etc.. She is going to try to do laprascopic vaginal hysterectomy, if she can't it will be abdominal incision.

thanks in advance for your help and for easing my mind. I am frightened to death over this to the point I am sick to my stomach. I know it's a major surgery,..but maybe its not so bad. I am 45 by the way.

Hugs
slimseeker

Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
(female)

srak34 HB User
Re: I have to have a hysterectomy. I am scared :(

I will be having a hysterectomy as well, just found out today.
But I have different reason. Endometriosist, cyst's.
Im scared too.
If you search this board this is a place just for hysterectomy and Im sure you will find lots of info.

I wish you best of luck!

I have heard the pain is similar to a c section if you have ever had one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
(female)

SUMMERSAUNTY HB User

HI i felt the same as you do five weeks ago i had a full hysterctomy four weeks ago i was in hospital for four days then i went home to my sister you really do need help for the first two weeks 24-7 and the pain side to it is not to bad keep taken your pain killers even if you feel ok trust me on that one . i can make myself a cup of tea and some breakfast now but not anything big .i hope this makes you feel a bit better if you need to talk more just ask me anything take care joyce

Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
(female)

srak34 HB User

Im glad it was not that bad for you.
I have a 3 yr old and that is my biggest concern, My hubby will take time off to help but she is not gonna understand that I cant pick her up
So at 5 weeks you still cant do alot?
Like laundry? cleaning? things like that?
Right after surgery did they put you on a pump that you have to press?
I was on that with my first c section and hated it, so Im hoping they will just give me pills or an IV.

thanks!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

SUMMERSAUNTY HB User

HI my heart goes out to you all my kids are grown up apart from my 13yr old baby but not been able to pick up your child must pull on the heart strings a bit . i can make myself a cup of tea in the morning,( mornings are my best time of the day) , a bit of lunch as long as theres no cooking to be done but thats about it . yes i had a pump when i came round from the op but just let them no you would prefere something different. the pain is not to bad its the other bits that wind me up like trapped wind thats a killer if you can get that in control youll be okay speak to you soon joyce

Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

If you have a vaginal hyst., you should be feeling a lot better at 5 weeks. If it ends up being an abdominal incision, it might take a bit longer. I had TAH-BSO (abdominal, everything out) and I didn't start feeling human again for about 8 weeks.

They will take good care of you. Remember not to be stoic. If you need anything at all, ask the nurses or your doctor. If you can't sleep, ask for something to help you sleep. If you are nervous, ask for something for your anxiety. If you are in pain, be sure to ask for something.

A lot of us have been through this and can help with any questions. It helps to know what to expect, so do as much research as you can. You are going to be just fine. My worst memory of my surgery was having terrible constipation, so my advice would be to try to prevent that if you can. I had extra pain and suffering because I wasn't prepared for that. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about ways to prevent that. Otherwise, take your pain meds before the pain gets too bad, take walks as often as possible, drink plenty of fluids, and be sure to have someone help you for at least a couple of weeks. When I got home, it took a few days before I could go to the kitchen and make my own tea or warm up my lunch. I couldn't drive for three weeks.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thanks to both of you

Gosh 8 weeks until you started feeling human? That scares me. After my last c section I felt pretty good, of course I think when you have a beautiful baby to distract you it makes it all better.

Can I ask you both how old you were when you had this done?

I am 36

My dr wants to do abdominal go in thru my c section scar because he really wants to see whats going on in there he says for him its easier then the scope. And I do trust him.

How about energy? I do expect to feel low energy while healing. But how about after 6-8 weeks?

Also did it interfere with sex at all? I mean after you are all healed? Low libido or anything like that?

Thanks so much ladies!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I'm 46, just had my surgery in Jan. for endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids.

The reason I said I didn't feel "human" for 8 weeks was mainly because of the fatigue. The pain really wasn't an issue anymore, but I would still get VERY tired, easily, and found it difficult to accomplish small physical tasks. It was frustrating. The amount of fatigue was very surprising to me because I had had a C-section before also, and didn't remember the recovery being so difficult.

My libido is fine. At first I was worried about dryness, but I went on an estrogen patch and everything seems fine.

Last edited by SRMom; 08-12-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

srak34 HB User

Did you take any vitamins or anything to help with energy?
My energy is already low!!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

No vitamins. I guess you could give it a try. I just had to accept that my body needed to heal and rested when I got too tired. My husband was very helpful during that time.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #11
(female)

SUMMERSAUNTY HB User

hi i am 46 when it happened ( STILL AM) energy levels are pretty low i think i can do that but i even get tired making a cup of tea, they went in through me c section scar because they said it would be easier i had everything removed plus they said my blader was stuck to my womb so ive had to deal with my bladder getting better as well and going to the loo so difficult at times but im sure we will all feel better in time take care joyce

Old 08-15-2006, 05:06 AM   #12
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thanks for the info ladies.

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 8th, and Im nervous. Not really about the surgery but the recovery, my husband will be here to take care of our daughters but its just gonna be alot for him, he says he can do it! I hope so!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for replying, support and good advice. I sure do appreciate it. I have researched a lot online and am feeling more at ease about having my LAVH.

srak34, you said your surgery is sept. 8, Mine is sept. 6. We can recover together I wish you the best!!!

slimseeker

Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
(female)

srak34 HB User

That is true, we can compare !

good luck to you!

Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
(female)

Sherry T HB User

Hi, I had a radical hysterectomy on 7/18, due to a tumor the size of a 22 week pregnancy. She removed everything!!!!!!!!!! I'll tell you I was very nervous just before the surgery, couldn't stop crying. When I woke up I was told I was cancer free. Lucky Lucky Girl. Anyway, the first few weeks just plain suck. Some thing I didn't think about was clothing. I had abdominal surgery, staples from above my belly button down to my pubic bone. Just have some loose house dresses to wear and skip undies when possible. Warm showers are very soothing. The pain gets old after a few weeks, I cried a few times. I can't say that I'm back to my old self, but I'm so much better. I won't lie, it's a tough road. But I'm here to talk about it rather than what could have happened. Take care and hang in there.

Last edited by Sherry T; 08-16-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Closed Thread