It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

srak34 HB User
Red face c section vs hysterectomy pain

Ok I need to know from those of you who have had both a c section and a hysterectomy, do you feel more pain with hysterectomy?

My dr has to make insision, he is not doing the vaginal hysterectomy

Im scared to death!

any info will be appreciated!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: c section vs hysterectomy pain

I'm sorry to say that yes, it hurts more for a hysterectomy than for a C-section. Don't be scared though, they will take good care of you. The worst part for me was constipation, so my advice is to do what you can to prevent that. Ask your doctor if doing a bowel prep before surgery might be a good idea and if you will be given stool softeners and Gas-X in the hospital and afterward. Also, don't be afraid to ask the nurses for anything and make sure you drink a lot of water and juice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I think pain is a very individual thing, some feel it more, others less. It just depends on your pain threshold.

I had my hysterctomy under a spinal anaesthetic and recovered very quickly with very little pain in fact i didnt have any post op morphine. I just had volotorol which is an anti inflammatory drug as my pain relief.

I have had 2 C sections and for me the hysterectomy was no worse than that. I was sitting in the chair the very next day.
I agree with the other poster about preventing constipation though, and dont try to fight the urge to go to the toilet either, your stiches wont burst they are very strong, you will recover quicker with your bowels emptied regularly.
my thoughts are with you xxxx

Old 08-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thanks ladies

Ive heard both sides from people, its worse, its the same and its better I guess it just all depends.
I think with a c section you overlook the pain because you have a new baby.

I think I will take some stool softners a few days prior to the surgery and during. I got constipated reallly reallly reallllly bad with my last c section so I will make sure that does not happen again.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
(female)

srak34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy01
I think pain is a very individual thing, some feel it more, others less. It just depends on your pain threshold.

I had my hysterctomy under a spinal anaesthetic and recovered very quickly with very little pain in fact i didnt have any post op morphine. I just had volotorol which is an anti inflammatory drug as my pain relief.

I have had 2 C sections and for me the hysterectomy was no worse than that. I was sitting in the chair the very next day.
I agree with the other poster about preventing constipation though, and dont try to fight the urge to go to the toilet either, your stiches wont burst they are very strong, you will recover quicker with your bowels emptied regularly.
my thoughts are with you xxxx

Now was your hysterectomy dont by abdominal incision? if so and you did not need morphine I think you are like super woman!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

yes it was an abdominal hysterectomy, lol at superwoman thing xxx I was just absolutely petrified of having a general anaesthetic thats all.

the body starts to heal very very quickly after surgery and it took around 12 hours for the spinal to fully wear off so the worst part of recovery was in fact pain free due to that. Volotoral was all I needed after that.
Once you are mobile the pain doesnt feel so bad either, as you will remember from your C section. I was mobile quicker because 1. i didnt have to shift the anaesthesia from my body and 2. I was'nt groggy with morphine.
I was able to eat and drink normally etc, all part of a good recovery.
best wishes
daisy xxxxx

Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
(female)

srak34 HB User

Im gonna just try not to get to freaked out about it. TRY.

I have to have a biopsy now before my ins will cover the hysterectomy... that is a in office thing I do next week.
I will just ask for plenty of drugs if in pain
and try to walk as much as I can, I know that helps.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

srak34 HB User

Ok my anxiety is starting to get the best of me, Im really getting scared.
Im thinking what happens if I die during surgery and leave my daughters with out their mom. I know im just doing this to myself but do normal people go though this too?

I have anxiety but its usually under control, but Im so anxious today I cant eat, I just feel sick and sad and Im second guessing the whole surgery.

I dont have cancer or anything just alot of pain and bleeding once a month so Im thinking maybe I will just live with it.

I wish I were not such a worry wart!

Old 08-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
(male)

randyk47 HB User

I can fully understand how you're feeling.....I had the same feelings but from the husband side. I couldn't sleep, I ate but really wasn't hungry, my stomach was killing me and I was taking Zantac for it. I was such a mess that my secretary took off from work and sat with me through my wife's surgery. And "sat" is a relative term since I paced like an expectant father. So, yep, I know the emotions well. It's just my wife and I and, this may sound corny, but she's everything to me. She had her surgery July 31 and is doing very, very well so obviously she came through it without a problem. The truth is that modern medicine is wonderful and my wife had no difficulty after the surgery coming around. It will be just fine.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thank you that makes me feel better!
I think its wonderful for you to say she is everything to you, that is so sweet!
May I ask was your wife in good health? What was the reason she had to have it?
Im so stressed about it tonight for some reason.

thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
(male)

randyk47 HB User

Carey had fibroids that finally got to the size that they had to be addressed. She'd been on hormone therapy for years to control her cycles and bleeding but sooner or later those start to lose their effectiveness and she reached that time. Her first doctor was also concerned about a "complex cyst" on one of her ovaries. Her second doctor, her new gyn who performed the surgery, wasn't as concerned as she read the ultra-sound pictures differently but said "it's time" so we went ahead with the surgery. The cyst turned out to be a fibroid near her ovary and in the end she kept both ovaries as they were both healthy. It was good Carey made the decision to go with LSH now. Luckily she was able to have her hysterectomy in the less invasive way but if she'd waited or put it off too long she might have put herself in the position that her only option was TAH.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thanks for the info, Im really nervous.
Can I ask how old your wife is? I am 36.
How is she feeling now?
How long was it until she was moving around well?

Im really nervous.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 AM   #13
(male)

randyk47 HB User

Carey is 46 years old and in pretty good health overall. Luckily she was able to find a gyn that felt Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (LSH) was appropriate and indicated in her case. Other than her fibriods and ovaries there were no other indications of other problems and it turned out the ovaries were fine and were left. She had her surgery on 31 July as "day surgery", in at 8:30 AM, surgery at 10:30 AM, and in the car on the way home by 5:30 PM. She took 2 weeks off initially and that turned out to be about right. Today is 3 weeks since the surgery and the start of her second week back at work. Might say the work is desk work, not particularly physical in nature. She was a bit tired by the end of last week but this AM she seems just fine. This past weekend was almost totally normal for us and included Carey's first dip in our pool. Her incisions (all together I don't think the of them 3 added up to more than 2 inches) are just about healed...I hesitate to say totally as I guess "totally" actually takes several weeks/months.....and she mostly floated on her back. This was also the first weekend she tended to her flower beds, just snipping off dead buds, etc., but it meant she was up and down and so on. Other than she's not back to working out....she was on a diet and workout schedule prior the whole need for surgery even arising....life is pretty much back to normal. I just asked her, since we work in the same agency, how she'd rate herself 3 weeks after surgery and she said 90-95%. Per your question in your other thread I also asked her if she felt it was worth it. She said it was a bit early to tell if she was really feeling better, since she's still healing inside and out, but her impression is that she does feel better. Her fibriods were such that it was like she was 3-4 months pregnant, in kind of a permanent way, so she says she can definitely feel that "pressure" off of her bladder, bowel, and back.

Last edited by randyk47; 08-21-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #14
(female)

srak34 HB User

again thanks for the info!
I do have to have the type of hysterectomy where it will be an incision, similar to a c section. So I guess this will be a lil different.
Im glad she is doing good! And Im sure each week she will be better!
Thanks again and I do appreciate you posting!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
(male)

randyk47 HB User

I'm sure you'll do just fine. Certainly every approach seems to have it's own set of pluses and minuses. In my hunt for information I'm sure I read every thread here and, on the whole, most folks do very well regardless of which type of surgery or the underlying reasons. Carey and I talked about it at lunch just a few minutes ago and she said that the anticipation of the surgery was a lot worse than the surgery itself and the immediate recovery. She's really glad she's through it and looking forward to even better quality of life.

Closed Thread