It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

srak34 HB User
Unhappy Anyone regret getting hysterectomy

Im sooo anxious about my surgery scheduled on sept 8th
I need to have it done, but its not urgent but the dr wants to get it done soon because of the size of my cyst.

Im wondering if anyone has had it done and regreted it.

Im soooo nervous, I know its normal to a point but Im just so freaking out!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Anyone regret getting hysterectomy

srak34:

I don't regret my hysterectomy, especially now that I'm recovered from surgery (I'm almost 7 months post op). The two things that I wish I had been more prepared for were the constipation after surgery and the discomfort of surgical menopause. I had my ovaries removed and didn't fully understand how uncomfortable that would make me, but it is nothing compared to the monthly pain I endured due to my menstrual cycle. I'm using an estrogen patch now to mitigate the hot flashes and it helps a little, and it seems like my constipation issues are finally starting to be resolved. They say it can take up to a year to fully recover. I felt a lot better after 8 weeks.

I can understand why you are nervous, but you really need to have faith that your doctors know what they are doing. This surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgeries. Doctors have a lot of practice doing them, so they are well-prepared for any situation that may come up. The hospital staff will take good care of you too, just be sure to communicate what you need to them and don't be stoic.

I wrote down a couple of notes after my TAH-BSO I'll share:
1. Take your walks after you take your morphine or other pain med and be sure to hold on to someone or some thing.
2. Be sure your doctor has prescribed simethicone and stool softeners for you to take in the hospital before you go in for your surgery and also ask if a bowel prep would be a good idea.
3. Drink plenty of water...more than you feel like.
4. Ask for an ice pack if your incision bothers you.
5. Use the mechanical bed and rails to help you get up and push up with your elbows (my elbows actually got a little raw at home and needed band-aids)
6. Take the following things for your comfort: Toothbrush and toothpaste, hair brush (and tie if you have long hair), hand lotion, chapstick and something to read or a puzzlebook.
7. Loose clothing and pillow for ride home.

This surgery is major, but for me it was worth a couple of months of pain to be rid of my terrible menstrual problems forever. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Good luck...you are going to be fine!!

Last edited by SRMom; 08-22-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
(female)

srak34 HB User

You have made me feel so much better
Im keeping at least one ovary, maybe both so hopefully I wont go through the menapause or will i? That is on my list to ask Dr.

Did you have bowel problems before as well? Are you saying that it took about 8 weeks for that part to get normal?

My surgery is sched for sept 8th and Ive been taking milk of mag a lil every day to kinda clean myself out. And I will ask him if I should do more. I did get really constipated before after a out patient surgery, and it hurt soooo bad I will never let that happen again, or at least really try to prevent it. It hurt really bad.

I too am thinking that my quality of life will be so much better once I heal, because every month I lose about 5 days to a horrid period.

thanks again for all the information, it makes me feel better I just want to get this over with.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

If you keep one ovary, you should not have to suffer hot flashes, but be sure to ask your doctor everything you aren't sure about.

I did not have bowel problems before surgery like I had after surgery. The gas and constipation were extremely painful for the first couple of weeks after surgery. I actually had to take a stimulant laxative for several weeks to keep things moving. My constipation issues have continued and I'm thinking that just now things are getting better. I've had to take different laxatives (Peri-Colace and Miralax) and I finally tried Zelnorm recently. I don't think my problems are very common though, so please don't worry too much about it. It sounds like you know constipation can be a problem and you are taking steps to avoid it. Drink tons of liquid, take a lot of walks and move as much as you can, and back off on the narcotic pain meds as soon as you can...all of these things can help avoid constipation.

I figured that 8 weeks was when I stopped feeling the overwhelming fatigue. I had never had that type of fatigue after a surgery, but it was pretty debilitating. It's weird because your brain thinks you can do more, but you get up to do it and you get tired so easily. It can be very frustrating, but it will go away...for me at 8 weeks. The pain was much better after only 2-3 weeks.

Let us know if you have any other questions

Last edited by SRMom; 08-22-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
(female)

srak34 HB User

Thanks again for the info, if questions come up this place is a great place to get answers! And i will talk to my dr as well.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
(male)

randyk47 HB User

Carey was able to keep both of her ovaries and probably, at 46, won't go through menopause for another 4-6 years or longer. First doctor was leaning toward taking both out, with kind of a "just in case" justification, but second doctor was against that approach and said even after menopause the ovaries provide a certain level of beneficial hormones. As for bowel prep....that was one of the worse parts for Carey as a gallon of the stuff was just a bit much but it apparently worked well as she had no problems with bowel recovery after the surgery. Thanks to some helpful hints from SRMom and others here I started her back on juices, food, yogurt, and fruit. Mix that with pain pills, Gas-x, plenty of rest, me playing Nurse Randy and she recovered quite well. Oh yeah....guess a good doctor probably helped too.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
(female)

hsvdine HB User

I completely regret mine but only because I feel I was not very informed. I did not have cyst but my uterus was prolapsed and pushing everything down. I needed the surgery but probablly could have waited a few months I had a horrible experience with my catheter which tainted everything. I would really encourage you to ask any questions you have no matter how silly or insignificant they seem and rely on the people on this board they got me through some really rough times.. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
(female)

srak34 HB User

Sorry you had such a rough time!
Im asking Dr and people lots of ????s I appreciate your comments.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
(female)

srak34 HB User

I went for a endometrial biopsy today in office, the INSURANCE requested it, to see if I have some type of cancer, dr said because they want to be sure for ins purposes.
It was not the most worst thing ever, but not fun either. He had a hard time getting the sample. Ive been crampy but fine.

I have a ? about after surgery.
I had the pump for meds after my 1st c section and hated it because I had to stay awake to give myself meds.

For my 2nd c section they put some type of meds in my epidural to make me pain free for 12 hrs which was wonderful but side effect was itching I mean itching soooo bad

SR MOM what did you have after surgery as far as pain meds?

anyone else that can give me more info I will take it!

Old 08-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Once you feel well after your surgery, then you will feel really well. Just think of those nice knickers you can now buy yourself without worrying about staining them.
My treat was a pair of white jeans, these had been beyond me before my hysterectomy due to my very unpredicatable very heavy periods.

It really is a liberating feeling not to have to wear what resembles a bed mattress between your legs every month.
Sex whenever you feel like it, without pain or it triggering yet another bleed.
Swimming without worryng about a tell tail trail of blood in the pool.
Nope I have no regrets whatsoever
best wishes
daisy xxxxxxxxx

Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I had a spinal with my surgery that lasted for about 24 hours, so after I woke up, I felt pretty good for awhile. Then later, they gave me Toradol and Morphine. I was allowed to have Morphine up to once an hour if needed, but I had to ask for shots...I didn't have a pump. The bad thing about Morphine is it doesn't last very long...that's why you can have it every hour. If you want a longer acting med, you might be able to switch to Percocet or Vicodin...just talk to your doctor.

I also asked for sleeping pills at night because the lady in the room across the hall was very sick and made a lot of noise coughing and yelling and I couldn't sleep. I also got a migraine while I was there and needed my migraine meds...if you get migraines, you might want to make sure you can have those meds in the hospital.

They sent me home with a prescription for Vicodin and Ibuprofen (they are supposed to work really well together), which I had to refill a couple of times because I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. I could've had Percocet which is stronger, but it gave me bad headaches.

By the way...if a med makes you itch, but works well, you might be able to continue taking it and add Benadryl to lessen the itching. Itching is a common side effect of narcotic medications.

Last edited by SRMom; 08-26-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
(female)

srak34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy01
Once you feel well after your surgery, then you will feel really well. Just think of those nice knickers you can now buy yourself without worrying about staining them.
My treat was a pair of white jeans, these had been beyond me before my hysterectomy due to my very unpredicatable very heavy periods.

It really is a liberating feeling not to have to wear what resembles a bed mattress between your legs every month.
Sex whenever you feel like it, without pain or it triggering yet another bleed.
Swimming without worryng about a tell tail trail of blood in the pool.
Nope I have no regrets whatsoever
best wishes
daisy xxxxxxxxx
Thanks! You bring up some great things to look forward to!!!!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #13
(female)

srak34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
I had a spinal with my surgery that lasted for about 24 hours, so after I woke up, I felt pretty good for awhile. Then later, they gave me Toradol and Morphine. I was allowed to have Morphine up to once an hour if needed, but I had to ask for shots...I didn't have a pump. The bad thing about Morphine is it doesn't last very long...that's why you can have it every hour. If you want a longer acting med, you might be able to switch to Percocet or Vicodin...just talk to your doctor.

I also asked for sleeping pills at night because the lady in the room across the hall was very sick and made a lot of noise coughing and yelling and I couldn't sleep. I also got a migraine while I was there and needed my migraine meds...if you get migraines, you might want to make sure you can have those meds in the hospital.

They sent me home with a prescription for Vicodin and Ibuprofen (they are supposed to work really well together), which I had to refill a couple of times because I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. I could've had Percocet which is stronger, but it gave me bad headaches.

By the way...if a med makes you itch, but works well, you might be able to continue taking it and add Benadryl to lessen the itching. Itching is a common side effect of narcotic medications.

I had morphine with my first c section I swear it did not work and they did give me shots of toradal and that really helped. I do get migraines so I will make sure to take my meds with me. I get nautious easy so the percocet can upset my tummy.

I have days where I am not worred and then days where Im freaking out, today is a good day. Sept 8th is coming up very soon!!!!
Thanks again for all the info, once I have this done hopefully I can help someone too with info

Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

If you get nauseous easily, be sure to tell your doctor or anesthesiologist before your surgery and they will give you the anti-nausea meds, for your anesthesia or anything after that makes you nauseous in the hospital. I told them I was nauseous after a surgery once, so they automatically gave me the med, just in case. The one good thing about being in the hospital, is you have access to medications they don't usually let you have at home.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
(female)

srak34 HB User
Talking Re: Anyone regret getting hysterectomy

Im just sooo nervous, but all of your posts have made me feel so much better thank you!

Closed Thread