It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

hmull HB User
hysterectomy & gas pain 4weeks on??

Hi all, im 38, had hysterectomy on 2nd Aug. recovery alot harded than i expected due to gas and wind pain which is so painfull.i am up and about doing few light jobs around the house, do any of you no how long this lasts.i am either constipated or have the runs(sorry for 2much info) should i walk more, tried the usual,oj,prune juice,just started stool softeners today.stopped the pain relief as they were not helping.afraid to eat to much so have lost a few lbs so thats good.any advice would be welcome. good luck to you all.find this site just brill.its keeping me sane(well nearly) hmull

Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: hysterectomy & gas pain 4weeks on??

That was the worst for me too. The pain finally got better (gas pain and bowel movement pain) after about 6 weeks...the fatigue after about 8 weeks. My surgery was in January. I still have ongoing bowel problems, mostly constipation. I'm seeing a gastroenterologist for that now. He says I have IBS-C.

I hope this doesn't happen to you. I think once you've healed a little more, your intestines won't be so angry and they will go back to normal. Stool softener is a good idea for now...I found if I could keep everything moving, it hurt a lot less. I ended up taking stimulant laxatives for awhile.

Last edited by SRMom; 08-30-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

hmull HB User

thank you for your quick reply. have been in pain most ot the evening.its a comfort to know it is normal and will ease. the symptoms are very similar to IBS, hope its not brought on by surgery. hope you get better soon. hmull

Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

waitingtobloom HB User

I can relate, I am 2 weeks post op and feel like my stomach and bowels are at war. I had a lap hyster., post/inter vag repair and a birch sling done at the same time. They are doing great but this uncomfortable bowel pain is keeping me down!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

srak34 HB User

Im 4 weeks post op and still get gas,
gas x is my new friend and I take it almost daily if not it hurts....
Dr said takes a while for us to get back to normal

Old 10-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I agree on the length of time it takes for the gas pains to go away.
Mine was weeks too. I suffered in pain with it severely. I thought it would never end.
I took everything over the counter to help but nothing seemed to work and then one day I became so ill, about one week from surgery while home, I couldn't hold anything down. I ate white starchy foods which I shouldn't have because it binds, I didn't get up out of bed enough, I was taking pain pills which bind you up even more and before I knew it, I had a blockage.
I took the pain till I couldn't stand it anymore and it's a good thing I went to the ER. the intestines don't like to be touched or pushed around when they do surgery. so they freeze up for a while after the surgery.
It hurt to walk even worst so I prevented from getting up too much.

when the stomach muscles try to propel the stool from the intenstine say like after having your morning coffee, (there;s a medical name for this in the books) parastalis? when the muscles contract and stimulate the track to exit the feces. all I know is that I'd double up in pain, grab a hold onto my chair and sweat out the excruciating pain till the pain subsided.
I thought there was nothing worst than that pain other than child birth.
it was so gripping and you didn't know if it would stop. so we'd tighten up all our muscles and not breathe which is only makes it worst.

how quickly I forget this till I read your post. sorry for being so descriptive but I don't get that way about the human body.

gas x is a wonderful product and my gyno told me to take it every day if I wanted to. stool softener also. but from taking so many stool softeners, when I had my colonoscopy a yr after the surgery, they found the intestine to be pigmented and the pathologist says it's from using too much laxatives.
I couldn't figure out how that happened because i wasn't on laxatives very long in my life and then I figured it out, it was after my hysterectomy.

there's a name for this pigmentation. there's a product in the laxactive that mutates the lining of the cells. somthing to that effect. don't take me word for word. but since then, my gastro dr prescribed something else for me that's not harmful to the intestine. it's in powder form and there's no taste what so ever to it. you mix it in water till it's completely dissolved and it really works nicely.

I still have problems with my bowels from time to time. but not as bad as after having abdominal surgery.
they kept me in the hospital with no food what so every to pass my lips for days!! I had already dropped 30 pounds before the hyrsterctomy. I was wasting away and it really scared me.
so please be careful in your recovery period. four weeks is really not that long ago for having major surgery.
it takes the recommended 6-8 weeks of postop.
sometimes longer depending on the individual and your make up.

good luck,

Linda

Old 10-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

waitingtobloom HB User

I decided at 3 weeks postop to stop taking stool softners and tough it out for a few days. I drank alot of liquids and had 3 rough days of gas pains in hopes that my intestines would regulate. I figured the stool softners often never regulated my movements and never gave my intestines a normal process of digestion. I am glad to say for me that I am feeling much better at 4 weeks and only have small bouts of gas. I am not saying this will work for everyone but it did work for me.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
(female)

gr8fulwoman HB User

I'm at week four and FINALLY am getting some relief from the gas !
Pretty amazing how long it hangs around. Feel better soon.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
(female)

JRzMom0 HB User
Question Re: hysterectomy & gas pain 4weeks on??

I had a DiVinci robotically assisted subtotal hysterectomy (left cervix, ovaries and tubes). Ive been waking up at night with pain in my upper back. I assume it is gas, but it feels like a heart attack. I haven't been taking any Gas X or stool softeners as other people have posted. I thought the gas would be gone by now. Does anyone else get the upper back pain?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Hi Guys

I don't know if my story is totally relevant to your situations but in the pain factor yes. Back pain, really bad for probably 3 months after my hysterectomy 18 months ago. I cried with the pain. Gas pains, terrible. Constipation like I have never known. Over the counter stool softeners, forget it. I have the natural alternative that has worked for everyone that I have recommended to many others without a doubt! Natural Pear Juice from the Supermarket. It works wonders, believe me. I am from Australia and we can buy this at this supermarket. If you are from elsewhere and cannot find at a supermarket, do yourself a favour and search it out. If you really have problems (like me not going to the toilet for 8 days and it made me cry to even try thereafter) drink a whole can within an hour but stay close to a toilet. It will clear you out and thereafter sort you out. You may need a follow up of pear juice for a little while but maybe not? Believe me this really works and it's natural!!!! Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
(female)

JRzMom0 HB User

Thank you. Ill give it a try. I prefer natural methods when available.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
(female)

cheryl7578 HB User

I had my hysterectomy 3 wks ago. I'm still having severe pain in my lower ab. Also had bladder sling. I do have sharp pains when I need to have bowel movement. Could these constant pains relate to bowels?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
(female)

lonelymum HB User
Smile Re: hysterectomy & gas pain 4weeks on??

Hi From my experience pain in the lower abdominal area is normal. Your body has been through a major change. A bladder sling is also another additional part of surgery that your body has to adapt to. Whilst in hospital I was adminstered several drugs and thereafter leaving hospital. For me the surgery along with the drugs caused terrible constipation. Only you can answer that question. If you are having trouble going to the toilet it will cause major pain, I cried for weeks along with the abdominal pain which took months for me to recover from. Please note this is my experience and not what may happen to you. As advised to the previous post here if you are experiencing problems in the "toilet area" I firmly advise drinking pear juice as advised via a naturopath. I had used over the counter products that made me want to throw up etc Pear juice is easily drunk. All natural. Drink whole can within one hour and all will be well thereafter. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl7578 View Post
I had my hysterectomy 3 wks ago. I'm still having severe pain in my lower ab. Also had bladder sling. I do have sharp pains when I need to have bowel movement. Could these constant pains relate to bowels?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Hi Lonely Mum .....

I'm an Aussie too, and although I haven't had a hysterectomy, I know many who have and had complications due to adhesion formation after surgery which typically affects the bowel and vaginal vault. The adhesions form and twist and turn the intestine and it can be pretty darn awful.

There was a Women's Weekly (Australian version) with a story about adhesions after hysterectomy a while back. Might be worthwhile contacting them to get some more information. Of course, you can search on the internet "adhesions Australia" and you'll find a wealth of information.

Adhesions start to form immediately after surgery and they seem to affect those who have been affected by endometriosis the most. There are thousands of people out there who have adhesions (I did too from previous infections but childbirth fixed that problem, but I'm one of the rare ones).

My doctor is recommending I have surgery in the next 12 months for a hyster, but I'm going to do everything I can before hand to NOT have one, because I DID have endometriosis prior to childbirth.

Research your symptoms and gather your information and see your doctor. Adhesions DO cause pain and can't be seen on a simple x-ray, only investigative key-hole surgery can find them.

I wish you luck

Cheers

Last edited by angel_bear; 09-09-2007 at 02:30 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
(female)

Carol1831 HB User

Hello All, Had my total hysterectomy and gall bladder removal on Thursday, 9/6. Was sent home the next day. Both surgeons did the surgery laproscopically. Having pain and extreme gas. Trying to tough it out by only taking Gas X and Tylenol. Tried the pear juice today. My family bought me the baby pear juice, since they couldn't find any other kind. Is this sufficient? I am not able to pass any gas, it just rumbles around my intestines and then stops.

Closed Thread