It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

HeatherM77 HB User
Question Question about how long everyone was in the hosp after their surgery

I know that the time you are in the hosp depends on whether they can do it thru Lap or if they have to cut.I just wanted to get an idea from everyone how long they had to stay any complications and what type of hysterectomy you had.Thanks Heather

Old 09-14-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
(male)

randyk47 HB User
Re: Question about how long everyone was in the hosp after their surgery

My wife had LSH on 31 July. We got to the hospital at 8:30 AM, procedure was at 10:30 AM, I saw her again at 2 PM, and we were in the car and on the way home at 5:30 PM. At a little over 6 weeks since her surgery she's had no complications whatsoever. She was doing so well she went back to work two weeks after the surgery and next week takes her first business trip. Life is pretty much totally normal in all respects. As I've said before, if there is such a thing as "textbook" outcome I guess she's experienced it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

Sircatnip HB User

Most gynecologists like to keep you overnight - I had my LSH on 5/26 and went home the next afternoon. No problems except for a urinary tract infection from the catheter.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

Trishy HB User

Hi Heather,

I had my TAH SBO on the Tuesday lunchtime and was back home at tea time on the Friday although they wanted to keep me in another day because i had such bad back ache but i promised to be a good girl and do nothing i shouldn't, so all in all, 3 days in total and it really does go in very quick as it takes you a good 10 minutes to walk from one end of the ward to another and everybody else is in the same boat as you, so you stop and have a chat with the other ladies on your way back to bed. Only problem with NHS is lights out at 10pm and are back on again at 6.30pm, but you can doze throughout the day until your hearts content!!!

Hope this helps.

Trishy

Old 09-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
(female)

AmyW HB User

Hi Heather!

I was in for two days because mine was an abdominal surgery. The first day afterward, they want you to take it easy and just sleep and use your pain button as much as you need. The second day, they'll get you to stand up, which doesn't feel good but the more you try, the quicker you'll heal. I dont have any info on the other type of surgery but if you have this one, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
(female)

Chinkypin2002 HB User

Hi,
I had a vaginal hysterectomy on May 11th of this year, and I got to go home the next day. I had cancer, and I think I did well. My pain was taken care of with Extra Strength Tylenol Rapid Release Gels.
Hugs,
Chinkypin

Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

itsjustjess78 HB User

Hi. I went in the hospital at 5am on Wednesday the 30th and didnt go home until Friday afternoon I had a TVH and ended up having to have one ovary removed due to the Dr. finding a large cyst on my ovary. There were no complications and today marks one week since my surgery. I still have some pain but am down to taking just one pain pill a day (its worse in the afternoon for some reason). I hope this helps.
Jessica

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
(female)

frazzledparent HB User

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 5/16/07 and was out by noon on the 17th. No problems so far. Kept my ovaries so no menopause issues yet...I did have a C-Section 21 years ago so I know that abdominal surgery requires quite a bit more recovery time. Hang in there...

Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
(female)

ELI2 HB User

I Had An Lavh On March 7 2007 Due To Endo .THEY TOOK EVERY THING , And Came Home The Next Day

Last edited by ELI2; 06-26-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
(female)

HumbleServant HB User

I left the hospital on the 3rd day. I had a complete hyst. vag. assisted lap.
Only major complication was that I almost bled to death and they almost gave me a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin levels were too low before surgery and they did it anyways. Got lucky!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
(female)

christina_142 HB User

i left the hossy on either the third day or the fourth day LOL i would have to go back and check to know for sure LOL. actually i do think it was on the fourth day.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-05-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
(female)

heatherd216 HB User
Talking Re: Question about how long everyone was in the hosp after their surgery

Hi Heather! I had my complete abdominal hysterectomy and appendectomy on a Wednesday morning and went home on Saturday. Would have gone home on Friday, but I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and my intestines had a hard time waking up from anesthesia. I'm now 8 weeks post op and feel great. Could have gone back to work after 3 weeks; thankfully, I'm a teacher and had the entire summer to recover (not that I really needed it for that). Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
(female)

jenavive HB User

I was home the day after my surgery. I felt great....but very tired! My hysterectomy was vaginal. It was a huge surprise I wasnt expecting that at all. Everything has been great with the exception of about 10 lbs. weight gain. Thats my fault for not going to the gym like before. Getting back into your routine is the best advice I can give! Jen

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Wow! times have changed. I had a complete hyst. 14 years ago and was in for a week. You all sound like you did great afterwards, even after just a day! Alot of changes have occurred in the last ten years in the surgical fields.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
(female)

aceykay1021 HB User

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy in nov of 06'. I am also 24 yrs old so that helped me out. But I went in to the hospital at like 5 am and then had surgery at like 7 am. I was only going to be in one night but then had problems so I ended up not coming home for 7 days. I had no problems with in incision. It looks great!

Closed Thread