It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

nakvo65 HB User
I'm doing the big "H" and i'm a little nervous

HI everyone i'm just looking for someone whose been there and done that.

I have very bad endometriosis and i was told this when i was 24 when i was trying to have kids, thank god i now have 3 and i'm now 41 i just can't take the pain anymore or carrying around a towel for 7 days to sit on because i bleed sooo much, my quality of life was about 7 goods days a month and back in october before my period was due i was shopping with my daughter and the stabbing pain hit and i fell to the ground, the worst ever so far and that was it, i came home and called the doctor. Well today i just got the call and the surgery is happening jan 23 (i'm waiting till after the holidays).

So what i'm looking for is someone to answer a few ?'s. What should i expect after the surgery as far as pain?

Is one week vacation time for the hubby going to be long enough for me or should he take more?

I already have to wax due to dark facial hairs, will they get worse?

I won't be getting any hormones for at least 6 months so the left over endo ca die off, what should i expect as far as my emotions ( my endo has spread and is covering my bowels and bladder thats why i have to wait)?

And last but least I really enjoy sex will this effect it in any way?

thanks and i hope someone out there can answer some of my ?'s

nakvo65

Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #2
(female)

nakvo65 HB User
Re: I'm doing the big "H" and i'm a little nervous

Hi,

Thanks so much for answering some of my ?'s, just to have somebody who has done this tell me something more than my doc can makes me feel a little better. My doc is a guy so he can not answer things that i need answered to make me feel better. I'm so glad your pain level is so low that really is the scariest part for me. After reading some of the other chats i really started to freak out, and considered changing my mind but then when i think of the pain i'm in i change it right back.

you said a transfusion was your encourgement, could you explain?

Bless you
nakvo65

Last edited by nakvo65; 11-17-2006 at 04:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
(female)

nakvo65 HB User

Well after reading your story, my second thoughts have gone away. I know this is the right thing to do. And i wanted to thank you very much for answering my ?'s you really have helped alot.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
(female)

teaspoon HB User

Ok I had a hysterectomy when I was 24. Trust me I LOVE that fact that I do not have a period!!!!!! Holy cow, seriously amazing!!!! BUT- my doctor told me that I would not notice any difference sexually....ok you do....your uterus us going to be removed, so when you climax you will not feel that sensation. I wish I would have been told that. I am 35 and don't even remember what that felt like back then. But I still remember thinking, it feels like my vagina is pulsing wanting to pulse something else(uterus). So just so that you know that. But it does go away. I don't even notice it now!!! So I assume you are having your ovaries out? I did not. so I can not tell you about the hormonal changes...Hopefully you are having a vaginal hysterectomy, I was at a Christmas party the next day. I mean I was sitting down, but still I was present. Of couse take into consideration my age, 24. I doubt I could bounce back that soon now! I would say 2-3 days, but if you have a week coming and it does not effect your pay, darling, take it! :0) I wish you all the best, feel free to ask any questions. :0)

Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

nearlythere HB User

I had a total hyst. 3 1/2 years ago and I have never looked back. Unfortunately, I had one ovary left and that is being removed tomorrow, due to further endometriosis cysts. I know what you are saying with regard to bleeding and pain and believe me you will not miss all the inconvenience and sometimes total embarrassment. Recovery will be slow initially, but you will be amazed at how quickly you feel better and the whole thing is just a "blip" on the radar. I am 45 and I wish I had done it at least 5 years before I did. Endometriosis is a terrible thing and to not have to experience that pain or the heavy bleeding is worth a little discomfort for a while. You will be fine, good luck!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
(female)

nakvo65 HB User

Good luck to you nearlythere since you have already been threw it at least you know what to expect, and thank you for the words of encouragement i'm getting more nervous as it gets closer and it's still a month away. Let me know how your doing when you feel up to it .

Ok readysetstamp, you have really told me what i wanted to hear, so now i'm thinking maybe i should get all that i can before it happens so i can really treasure it.Yes i am having the ovaries and uterus taken out but i will be have 5 little cuts so i get to hold a pillow and cough and use that breathing tube, but i do get to stay in hospital at least 1 night and that does excite me, yeah i'll be in pain but 24 hours with no kids or hubby saying "MOM" can you or will you, wow peace and quite but what a way to get it.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
(female)

moe0822 HB User

I had a hysterectomy at 31. I am now 36. Mine was performed by "regular" surgery as opposed to vaginal of laproscopy. I had my uterus and cervix removed. Still have my ovaries. I had pre-cancerious lesions as well as severe endometriosis (but didn't know about the endometriosis until after the surgery (Surrprise!!!). I am a single woman and was nervous about being alone after my surgery. It may sound childish, but my mother took a week off from her job to be with me, just in case. I'm glad for that. The first week after my surgery, I was quite sore. Wasn't unbearable except for that occassional sneeze. Sounds funny, but trust me, it hurt. During the first week, I was able to get around slowly, but I could function. Second week was better. I was 'on my own' and was able to do whatever it was that I needed to do to get through the day. Can't answer about the hormones, because my ovaries were healthy, so the surgeon left them alone. I started feeleing much better in the third week after surgery. You need to remember that even if you feel fine physically a few weeks after surgery, your "'insides" take a long time to fully heal. Your doctor/surgeon will tell you more regarding that. When I did resume sexual relations, I experienced all the same sensations as pre-surgery. From what I've read, it's different for everyone, but I still enjoy it just as much. I definately do not have ANY regrets for having the surgery, and now I don'y have that annoying period to deal with anymore (one of the positive things!!!!). I wish you all the best. Stay positive and you will be fine.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi i had the big H 2 junes ago and i have no regreats i was eat up wit endo and had 2 cytes and now i have no more hurting no bleeding now my anemia is still the same on the low side and i stay tired but i dont hurt any more free /free at last any one thinking about it and are apprehensive take it out take it all out. you wont regret it. susan kay

Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
(female)

nakvo65 HB User

Thank you ladies, I know all about the sneezing i had the same thing when i had the gall bladder out 8 years ago. Even with christmas coming i am getting really excited about it, this last period was a killer with the pain. The hubby says it seems like i'm getting worse and it really feels like it, so COME ON JAN 23 i really can't wait.

Here's another ? for anyone, does anyone still have their uterus?

Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #10
(female)

AmyW HB User

What should i expect after the surgery as far as pain?
Depends on whether you have an abdominal or vaginal hysterectomy. Mine was abdominal and I was pretty sore for awhile. Do you know which you're scheduled for?

Is one week vacation time for the hubby going to be long enough for me or should he take more?
You will need help for much longer than a week, especially if your surgery is abdominal.

I already have to wax due to dark facial hairs, will they get worse?
I think it's entirely possible. I'd ask your doctor!

I won't be getting any hormones for at least 6 months so the left over endo ca die off, what should i expect as far as my emotions ( my endo has spread and is covering my bowels and bladder thats why i have to wait)?
I experienced a lot of mood swings, hot flashes, and tiredness

And last but least I really enjoy sex will this effect it in any way?
I doubt it. You will still be able to have an orgasm, if that's what you're worried about. The main problem might be dryness. Just use a lubricant if you need to.

Does anyone still have their uterus?
I would say no since the definition of a hysterectomy is: A hysterectomy is an operation to remove a woman's uterus (womb).

Hope this helped!! GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
(female)

nakvo65 HB User

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to thank everyone for answering my ?'s I am now at the point of a countdown and i am very excited about this 16 days i just wish it was sooner. Thanks again everybody

Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
(female)

auntinvt HB User

I was reading this post. I am to having a laprascopic partial hysterectomy on the 26th of January. My pre op is the 23rd. I had surgery back in Oct for permanet birth control the coils. It came out. I have been bleeding now more days on than off since the surgery. I have a fibroid to. I am anxiously waiting my procedure to end this nightmare I have been on. Thanks for the advice it helped me to and i feel more confident now to have mine.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
(female)

KAHM HB User

Hi I had a total hysterectomy when I was 33 because of endometrios I am no 44 years and doing fine I had no side effects on aything since and I have not regretted doing it. my doctor took me off the hrt after two years and I don't even get hot flashes or anything up to this day.

Hope this help ease your fears. Good luck.
God Bless
KAHM

Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
(female)

KAHM HB User

you're wlecome

Closed Thread