It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Abdominal Hysterectomykept Ovaries & Cervix,5 Months Pot-op & Still Getting Period!

Hi everyone. Hope someone can relate to my symptoms. I had abdominal hysterectomy, bladder lifted, kept cervix and ovaries, and still getting small period every 28 days. I called gyn on this and he said to give it 6 months to see if it stops. If it dosen't, he said I should have cervix removed. I asked before I had surgery of the benefits and downsides to keeping cervix, and nothing was said. Now I find out that a period could still exist because ovaries are stimulated causeing cervix to have a period? Confusing! Needless to say another surgery through the vaginia this time. Anyone out there or could relate to this have this problem and have to go back and have cervix removed? Please let me know, thanks, Tammy

Old 11-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

SabrinaG HB User
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomykept Ovaries & Cervix,5 Months Pot-op & Still Getting Period!

I go in on monday november 27 for my hysterectomy. I am having abdominal, cervix removed and ovary kept, as well as bladder lift. I asked about the reasons for removing cervix. Dr said that if he didnt remove it, I could still get cancer, still get periods and discharge and would still have to have paps. Sorry I am not much help.

I have a question for you though, if I may?

About the bladder lift, thats the only part of the surgery I am really worried about. He said I might have to have a cathader in for a few days and at first it will be hard to pee. How was your experience with the bladder and peeing part??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can ask as many questions as you need. I wish you all the luck with your surgery. I had a hysterectomy, kept ovaries and cervix and had an mmk procedure for bladder. It is called the Marshall Machetti Krantz. What was actualy done was when the uterus was removed the urologist takcked up my bladder slightly. It was the best thing I ever did do because of severe incontience. I am 45 and suffered for a few years. After the surgery, I came home with a catheter for 5 days, had it removed on that day, couldn't pee for 5 hours. Went back to urologist and had catheter put back in for another 5 days. Then had the catheter removed again and still had a hard time to pee. I was swollen there from the surgery and all night long for 2 weeks, had to sit and pee in the bathtub in warm water. That was the only was I could pee. On the third week I could manage to sit on toilet and push my self back on toilet and pee. I had a lot of bladder pain with this and urologist didnt' know why. I didnt have infection. So to date, I am 5 months post and still not peeing right. I went back to urologist a few more times and all he did was agrivate me, so I never finished up with him. I just live with the problem, at least I could pee and I don't leak! Not a drop! I can't force the pee out either like I could before. Please don't let anything I say scare you. And how is your bladder surgery being done? Let me know, keep in touch, take care, You can ask as many questions as you need too.......

Old 11-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
(female)

SabrinaG HB User
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomykept Ovaries & Cervix,5 Months Pot-op & Still Getting Period!

Wow ecactly what I was afraid of! He told me I might have to come home with a cathader for a day or two but thats only 5-10% of patients. He said he is tacking it to the pubic bone. I only pee, when I have to go in the first place, when I sneeze, laugh or cough, I have a "sneezing position"...lol I really dont think its that bad, its only when I have to pee already when it happens, so I'm not sure that even counts. I think I might call the dr and have him not do anything with my bladder.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 11-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Sabrina.

Did the urologist tell you or the gyno that after your uterus is out, that you might not have to have the bladder lifted? This is because right now your uterus is pushing on your bladder somewhat, with age it's the gravity thing. Honey, it's a hard call to make. I am sorry if I CAUSED YOU ANY CONFUSION OR ANXIETY OVER THIS. The procedure he wants to do is MMK for bladder. Try not to use me as an example for complications afterwards because every surgery or procedure I have had in past, I always have problems. Before I decided to have uterus out. I went to my regular urologist that I had been with for years and He atempted "the Sling Procedure" where they go in through the crease of your thigh and vaginia and weave a tape through to hike up the bladder. And your scar tissue hold that in place. This urologist couldn't get the tape through on one side and punctured my bladder, so as I said complications, 7 days with catheter, one night in hospital and it was suppose to be out patient, a lot of pain. The urologist thought my uterus was in the way. So I went to my gyno, got another urologist, and had the hysto, as I was having problems there anyway. You also could wait and see if when uterus is gone, see if you still have the peeing problem. If you don't then that great and it was uterus pushing on bladder. If you still leak, then you could have the sling procedure done somewhere down the line. You have options. But just keep in mind that my MMK won't be like yours. And do a lot of research on computer. You could even show urologist my letter about what happened to me after procedure. Good luck to you and please keep in touch, Tammy

Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
(female)

crissytd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepherd
...... kept cervix and ovaries, and still getting small period every 28 days. I called gyn on this and he said to give it 6 months to see if it stops. If it dosen't, he said I should have cervix removed. I asked before I had surgery of the benefits and downsides to keeping cervix, and nothing was said. Now I find out that a period could still exist because ovaries are stimulated causeing cervix to have a period? Confusing! Needless to say another surgery through the vaginia this time. Anyone out there or could relate to this have this problem and have to go back and have cervix removed? Please let me know, thanks, Tammy
It is the uterine lining on top of the cervix that is causing you to bleed. Did your doctor cauterize (burn)the cervix? The uterus and the cervix, although have separate names, are still one unit.

I haven't had my surgery yet but there are pros and cons for either keeping or removing the cervix which will leave you with a vaginal cuff. One is not better then the other, just realize which procedures side effects you can live with.

If you don't mind my asking, how long do the periods last? How heavy? (ex. pantyliner, mini pad, overnight, etc.)

Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Hi!

What is a vaginal cuff? Heard the term before, but don't know what it means. I kept the cervix because I always think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I just wish I was informed this mini period thing might happen. My periods before hysto were 2 weeks, light for 5 days then slammed for 3, with clots the size of my fist. Anemia and very painful. Now a few days and very light. 8 tampons a day, two at a time. Now just Bleeding light, mostly when I wipe. Still an inconvience. I am calling gyno about my 6 month mark in Dec. Thanks for writing......Tammy

Old 11-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
(female)

crissytd HB User

A vaginal cuff is what you'll have when the cervix is removed. It is the sewing of the top of the vaginal canal after the cervix is removed. One of the side effects I was referring to with the vaginal cuff is that it can tear and an application of silver nitrate needs to be applied by the gyn. I've read too many stories of vaginal cuff issues. Lubrication is also an issue for some as this function is handled by the cervix. So without the cervix some have complained about being dry and have to rely on applying products. Especially to prepare for sex. My doc wants to leave my cervix. I'm aware of the mini-periods, but he said that it will be cauterized (burned at the top) so mini-periods will be unlikely. I too don't like the idea of having to use pads, but the idea of having to run to the ER if during sex I start to bleed heavily is less appealing.

Last edited by crissytd; 11-24-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Thank You Chrissy For Response.........

I am going to ask gyno about cauterization of the cervix and if this is possible so I wont have a period. Your advice is more informative then I ever got from my gyn. I will call him next month as it will be 6 months post-op from hyterectomy and see about the cauterization, thanks again Tammy

Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
(female)

JUDY13 HB User

I started bleeding 5 weeks after my LSH. Called the gyne. He had me come in the same day to cauterized the cervix. He informed me that only 1/2 percent of all the hysterectomies he has done have this complication. It ususally means cells from the uterus were left behind and were not cauterized at the time of the hysterectomy. He stated he would only do this twice before we would have to discuss further procedures. It's been 6 weeks since he cauterized me and so far no more bleeding.

Please speak to your doctor about cauterization. It sounds worse then it really is.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
(female)

JUDY13 HB User

I started bleeding 5 weeks after my LSH. Called the gyne. He had me come in the same day to cauterized the cervix. He informed me that only 1/2 percent of all the hysterectomies he has done have this complication. It ususally means cells from the uterus were left behind and were not cauterized at the time of the hysterectomy. He stated he would only do this twice before we would have to discuss further procedures. It's been 6 weeks since he cauterized me and so far no more bleeding.

Please speak to your doctor about cauterization. It sounds worse then it really is.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
(female)

JUDY13 HB User

Old 11-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #13
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Hi Judy....

Thanking you for your reply. Did the cauterization hurt? What did it feel like? How was it after? Your gyn did this in office? Let me know cause I am calling him soon, Thanks again Tammy

Old 11-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
(female)

JUDY13 HB User

This was done in office. My gyne walked me through the procedure. It only took a couple of minutes. The worst part was being examined that soon after the LSH. I felt some pressure. There was really no pain. Some mild cramps afterwards for a day or so. But that was it. The bleeding stopped immediately. He warned me if I started to bleed again to get in ASAP. He said once you create scar tissue where the cervix and the uterus met, then there shouldn't be any further bleeding. So far so good.

Let me know how things turn out. Good luck!!

Old 11-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
(female)

crissytd HB User
Re: Thank You Chrissy For Response.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepherd
I am going to ask gyno about cauterization of the cervix and if this is possible so I wont have a period. Your advice is more informative then I ever got from my gyn. I will call him next month as it will be 6 months post-op from hyterectomy and see about the cauterization, thanks again Tammy
Glad I could help.

Closed Thread