It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

2005djb HB User
Pelvic Organs Prolapse???

Hi,
I'm 49 years old. Had twin girls 29 years ago. A very rough natural delivery. Last 2-3 years have had incontenince problems, doc forwarned me that I may have to have surgery in the future to fix the problem. In Aug. 2006, I coughed (from alergies) and felt something fall/drop. Went to my obgyn and was told my bladder did drop. By Oct. I could see it. Nov. 6th (2006) had my uterus only removed and my bladder lifted (sling attached to my pelvic bones). The procedure was done vaginally. Had back pain and right side pain during recovery. Went for my 5 wk post op checkup and my doc noticed that now I have rectocele too. He said that "nothing could be done for that though"???? He okay'd me to to resume normal activities. I started walking on the treadmill and some stretching exercises and after a week had severe pulling on my right side. Stopped my exercising, dealt with the pain for a week then had to go back to see my doc. He check my vaginally and did some snipping up there and had me go in for a vaginal ultralsound. I was told I had a small cyst on my right ovary to come back in two weeks that they go away. The snip helped the pulling pain I felt but now I feel like I'm dropping again. I have pain during a bowel movement and have to go twice a day to fully empty. My two week checkup showed that the cyst did disappear, but I didn't see my doctor, I was only scheduled with the ultrasound lady. I'm not that aggressive with questions for my doctor and I'm wondering now if the surgery didn't work. I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or can give me some direction. I've never heard of cystocele or rectocele until it happened to me. I'm not sure what to do next. Can't seem to find good direction searching the internet. Or even hope! Do I need to get a second opinion?? Will I have to have surgery again? Can rectocele be fixed too? I'm getting very worried that I'll be this way forever. Will I be able to go golfing?? Guidance would be appreciated!
2005djb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Pelvic Organs Prolapse???

I am surpised the bladder was not attached to the ligament supporting the uterus at time of hystorectomy. Also the rectocele should have been repaired at the same time.

You are right, the bladder problem has failed and you need the cystocele & rectocele fixed properly.

Get a "second opinion" and go from there.

When I had my vaginal hystorectomy 20 years ago, uterus was removed, they attached the bladder to the ligament that supported the uterus and also repaired the rectocele at same time. A recent CT scan shows the bladder to be in the proper place.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
(female)

2005djb HB User

Misty800
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to call my family physician today and make an appointment.
I do think that my cystecele was blocking the rectocele and wasn't noticed until after my surgery. My obgyn had a surprised look on his face at my 5 week checkup. What will they do to repair the rectocele?
I'll update when I know more.
How common is this condition?
2005djb

Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
(female)

beachlovr HB User

I highly recommend getting multiple opinions when it comes to the medical world. There are definitely good doctors, mediocre doctors, and bad doctors out there. I would recommend one of the doctors you see should be a urogynecologist. This is a doctor that specializes in women with urology problems. There is a website of urogynecologists that you can type in your state or zip code to find one that is near you. A rectocele can be fixed too but don't know if the urogyne can do that fix.

Last edited by beachlovr; 01-29-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

2005djb HB User

beachlovr;
Thank you too for your insight. I went on the internet and did a search for a urogynocologist in my area. Thanks. I'm going to see my doc on Wed. afternoon. I'll see if she will refer me to a urogynocologist. I've never heard of that type of doctor. This healthboard has been a blessing to me.
2005djb

Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

2005djb:
Rectoceles are usually repaired at time of childbirth, at least my gyn. made repairs at that time.

A good doctor should have taken the time to look for all problems while in there and make necessary repairs. When I had the hysto. the rectocele and cystocele were repaired at that time.

The stress of straining in natural childbirth is usually the cause of both conditions.

My obgyn. repaired the rectocele by taking tucks in the rectal wall.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

2005djb HB User

Misty800,
Nothing was ever mentioned to me in all the years during my annual pap tests until 2-3 years ago when my gyn noticed my bladder dropping. He has been watching it annually for me and checking my incontenince level.
It seems that after my hysto and bladder lift, I then got rectocele. I'm asking the doctor if the surgery could have caused this condition. Cutting the tendons and ligaments that hold up the uterus must have some impact on the vaginal wall too? Not sure, will ask.
Your responses have been helpful....kinda gives me courage to keep asking questions. What a very slow recovery process this has been. I had no idea!!!

Last edited by 2005djb; 01-31-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
(female)

2005djb HB User

Well I went to my family physician yesterday and she was surprised that my rectocele wasn't repaired at the same time the cystocele was. (You guys are correct). I'm to schedule a visit with a uyrolgist (doc referred me). I did go for a CT Scan to make sure there is no kidney stones (right side achy still...11 weeks after surgery). I go to my gyn later today for a followup. Having a little blood in my urine occasionally and some discharge. I can't wait till all of this is behind me. Gotta get back to my normal!

Last edited by 2005djb; 02-01-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Closed Thread